• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new PCIe wifi card works, but system wont boot with it in

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

captainthrall

I recently purchased a new PCIe wifi card. I installed it, installed the drivers and software etc. It connects, it gives me very fast internet speeds. Everything works great!

...until I turn off my computer. Then it hangs during startup. Sometimes I wont even see my mobo's brand log. Sometimes it will freeze without making it to the windows launch.

If I unplug the PCIe card, plug it back in, then turn my computer on, the system will boot up ~50% of the time.

Does anyone have any clue what might be going on?

wifi card: TP-Link AC1300 PCIe Wireless Wifi PCIe Card | 2.4G/5G Dual Band Wireless PCI Express Adapter | Low Profile, Long Range, Heat Sink Technology | Supports Windows 10/8.1/8/7/XP (Archer T6E)

mobo: msi z170a xpower gaming titanium edition lga1151

Try switching PCIe slots and see if it works...

What slot is it currently in?

The wifi adapter is currently in the 3rd PCI slot. I have a soundblaster Z in the 2nd slot. I've tried swapping them, and the results were the same.

It just occurred to me that it might be a power deficiency issue. I don't have a cable going into the mobo's optional 6-pin power input (the one near the pci slots)

Yeah, it seems like a lack of power was the problem! I'm 2/2 on boot-ups after connecting the extra 6-pin power cable.

I'm glad it was a simple fix! ... and I'm glad I have a 750W psu!

While you didn't exactly pinpoint the problem, you did cause me to notice the vacant 6-pin power slot as I was looking at my PCIe configuration, so at least you get an assist on this one. Thanks for all of your help over the years Earthdog!

For anyone experiencing PCI/video card/boot issues, definitely check to be sure you have that extra power port connected! I had a gtx 1080, and a sound blaster Z installed without the supplemental power being necessary, but I guess the wifi card put me over the edge. Cheers!

captainthrall, would you mind listing all your primary system components and put them in a sig please? Normally, the six pin 12v+ power connector isn't needed. It's odd too me that adding in a wifi adapter card would draw that much more power. I'm wondering if you were already on the edge of what your PCI-e bus could supply power wise.

He has a gtx 1080 and a sound blaster Z sound card.

...I'd think you are on to something with it occasionally working and then when it's used it works. ;)

That adapter isnt a simple little card either. ;)

How old are you stompah? So old when I read OP's problem my first thought was IRQ conflict....

Glad you got it solved.

I spoke too soon. My PC has been stalling on boot-up again.

It's very inconsistent. Sometimes It will boot up normally. Sometimes it will freeze, then I'll physically remove and replace the wifi adapter, hit the power button, and have a 50% chance of a successful boot.

I've edited my signature to list the PC's components.

I would use a USB Wifi adapter instead. They work great! I've used them for years and they are economical. USB 3.0 ones should not pose any bandwidth throttling issues on all but fiber optic internet feeds.

Last edited:
I would suggest a router that supports DD-WRT or OpenWRT so you can put it in client mode and plug it into the Ethernet port.

A wired connection isn't an option at this moment. I have to use a wifi connection. I'd prefer to use a PCI card just so I don't have to have something sticking out of a USB port 24/7.

At this point I'm very curious to figure out what's going on with the card that I have, but if I can't resolve the problem in the next couple of days I guess I'll return it and get a different pci card.

I never found a solution.
I spoke with customer support from TP-Link and their only real suggestion was that I try to reinstall the driver. (tried it, no success)
I also spoke with a rep from MSI. I asked him if there was any chance that my mobo was incompatible with the card. He said no, and theorized that the card may have a defect causing it to draw too much power or something. I thought the same thing.

I'm going to return the card to Amazon.

Back