• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Strat To Get Lead

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MLMIB

okay, here's what I've done so far, and it's work(if I happen to give nik a run for his money soon, you'll all know why)

take the letter, if ya don't know which one I'm talkin about, it's this one....
Dear Network Administrator

I am writing on behalf of the members of the Folding@Home community to bring the Folding@Home Distributed Computing project to your attention.

The Folding@Home project uses spare processor cycles to synthesize and calculate how proteins fold, misfold, and aggregate. The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, remains a mystery. Moreover, perhaps not surprisingly, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious repercussions, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, and Parkinson's disease.

Folding@Home is a distributed computing project, which in essence is a technique that uses the internet to create a tremendous super-computer. By splitting the workload and sending small portions out to volunteers who donate their CPU time, the project is able to harness tens of thousands of CPU’s and move forward more far more quickly than it would running on a Cray super-computer. The folding client runs on an idle priority and never takes CPU cycles that are needed for other processes. Think of a CPU’s cycles as a glass of water. When you browse the internet or process documents, you only drink 1/20 of the glass, and the rest is unused.... The folding client "drinks" the other bits of water. The client lets the other programs take as much as they need. This in no way spies on your activities. Studies have shown that Folding@Home does not impact the performance of computers, and it only needs internet access to receive work packets and to send results, which occurs anywher

e from three times per day to twice per week depending on the particular work unit and CPU involved. Bandwidth use is minimal and it operates on standard www and https ports 80 or 8080. Many schools and corporations are starting to help the scientific community by joining this or similar projects.

If security is an issue with your decision on allowing the client to be installed, I can assure you that the F@H client is quite safe. It uses a digital signature that is verified with each download of a new work unit. The signature is a very secure way to verify that no bogus files have been downloaded that may attack/affect your system. The Folding@Home project does not cost anything to you. Clients are available for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, and FreeBSD.

You do not gain anything from folding, but science does and perhaps someday this research will cure protein disorders or find new treatments for some types of cancer, in which case the whole human race benefits. All in all, the client is free and uses very little hard drive space. You may find other uses for the client as well. In monitoring a few dozens of folding@home clients, I've found that they can help pinpoint hardware problems. The folding@home community and I hope that you will think about allowing this client to be installed on some of the school’s computers, even if only on a trial basis. Whatever you decide, I thank you for your time and consideration.

I urge you to seek more information about this exciting DC project at the official Folding@Home site: http://folding.stanford.edu
A free program to track folding@home clients across a local network can be found at: www.em-dc.com

If you have any questions pertaining to the program, or worries about installing the software I am willing to offer my time to help and aid in the installation and setup of the program across out network

Sincerely,

go around, find the corporate centers near ya, write in their names, send them out. ask around for local school network admins, give them a letter. ASK

so far... I've got one school w/ about 100 pc's thinkin about joining the borg, and this corporate center of maybe 15 tenants, maybe 1000-2000 people total(at least) that will be getting letters sortly

imagine just a 25% turn out, I'd be givin nik a run for his money(mind you, only 9-5) but still, I think it'd be more than enough, everyone do it? takes about 5 minutes? we'd all be red....dream with me....

k, enough dreaming, now work with me :D

The tech administrator at the school over here is really picky about what happens with the computers. I guess it's worth a shot. I'll see if I can send some letters out this week.

The tech administrators at my school barely know how to use a computer, i.e. computerly ignorant. They'd scoff at the idea.

I have found a mistake, which occurs anywher

e from three times per day. That is the mistake there should not be a return and anywher has that randomly placed 'e' on it.

Freddie said:
I have found a mistake, which occurs anywher

e from three times per day. That is the mistake there should not be a return and anywher has that randomly placed 'e' on it.

Easily fixed in MS Word.

Nice job MLMIB. I will try it on my daughters schools this week (edited for my own situation of course).

Has any of these letters people send out, actually had any returns.
I see people saying their going to get hundreds of machines, but I don't think any were successful.

Back