• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to Forum, OC'd 3700+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wayward_Son

First post.

Cool site, great forum!

The last computer I built was an Intel P III 500mhz back in 1999. Used it for a few years until it crapped out on me. I used my tax return this year to build my current rig back in May. I'd been out of the computer industry loop for a few years.

I ended up building the rig in my sig. Knowing what I know now, I would do things differently.

1. Different case. While I love some features of the aluminum X-Navigator, it's way over-the-top as far as looks go. I usually go for the "subtle elegance" idea over bling, but for some reason I chose this one. I do love the cooling, however.

2. More GPU! I naively thought the 6800XT would be a match for the 3700+. but it's not. My gaming bottleneck is the video card, and that's something I have to remedy.

Anyway, about the overclocking. I'd never overclocked a computer before. Heard about it, but that's all. I used my CPU at stock speeds for about a month before I decided to speed it up, and I found several resources online to help me out. Problem is, none of them were written for a complete novice. By increasing my proc from 200 to 220 I was able to achieve a stable 2.420, but ANYTHING higher would crash. A friend recomended this forum, and in about five minutes I found an online calculator for overclocking Athlon 64s in one of the stickies up there. Sweet! Everything made sense once I was able to see how changes to one aspect of the righ affected other aspects. I realized that my overclockiing bottleneck was not the CPU itself, but the fact that I was running my HTT way above it's 1000 mhz rate. After making a few calculations and a few notes, I went to BIOS and made some changes.

Now I had it at 2.640, stable. Tested it with all-night (9 hours or so) CPU Burn In, multiple simultaneous virus scans, 3dMark06, long periods of Seti@Home, and plenty of Quake 4. Not a single hiccup. Then I did some more research here, and found that many people were going even higher with the 3700+.

So I went to 2.750, a full 25% increase over stock. Still stable. Then I went to 2.860. Stable! My final score? 2.904, rock solid.

My settings: 264x11=2904. LDT @ x4. RAM running at DDR 333 (don't know exactly what divider this is, as my mobo doesn't present it that way). Vcore is set a 1.4125v. RAM voltage is set at AUTO. Oh, and I'm running the stock heatsink. With ambient temperature @ 75F, CPU runs 46C at load.

I'm pleased, to say the least. Especially so, considering that I didn't bother to find the limits of my CPU or my RAM prior to overclocking. I'm running a 3700+ 32% faster than stock at 2.9 ghz, on the stock heatsink and healthy temperatures. If I were to really dig deep, I imagine I could go a little higher, especially if I stepped up to some really high-quality DDR500.

I don't know the stepping of my proc, and I really don't feel like going through the hassle of removing the heatsink and AS5 to find out. Apparently, it's one of the good ones. I got it from NewEgg in May.

Questions? Comments? Advice?

Welcome to the forums!

What timings are you running the RAM on? It's time for you to extract every last bit of bandwidth your modules offer. I'm not sure what chips are on your RAM. Oce that is known, you may want to hop into the memory section and get a few expert opinions thereof. :)

Erm..one of the other moderators seem to be having a little fun with my rank. :)

RAM timings are:

2.5, 3, 3, 7, 1T.

These are the ratings the Vitesta package advertises. BIOS recognizes them at 3, 4, 4, 8, but when I adjusted them to their advertized spec they didn't display any errors or uncertainties. BIOS also recognized 2T, but when I set them to 1T I found an increase in bandwidth in Sandra07.

I chose this RAM package because I wanted the most performance per dollar, and I was on a budget. The timings were pretty good, they had heat-spreaders, the NewEgg reviews were mostly excellent, and the price was comparable to value RAM from other manufactures like OCZ or Kingston. As it turns out, they are fantastic sticks of memory. I purchased them for $165 at Newegg in May. Since then, RAM prices have increased across the board, and this same package now costs about $210. However, at the time, the price I paid was a steal for the performance I have. If I had bought RAM from a more well-known name with even lower latencies, I would have paid a LOT more. I'm pleased with my decision, and would recomend A-DATA's Vitesta package to anyone looking for a good value solution with decent overclocking ability.

Dont mean to thread jack but im thinking about OCing my 3700 again and would like to know wat setting it is on my Mobo that i change to run a divider. Last time I oCed, my PC would freeeze because the RAM was running too fast. THanks

Back