• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to WC. Advice on proposed build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GAZ_XB9R

Registered
After a few posts and a LOT of reading, here's what I'm planning.

Sticking with current i7 920 and EVGA X58 SLI motherboard will overclock once watercooled.

Upgrading graphics to GTX 580 unsure of brand to go for yet. Will be on air for now. Would like the option to go watercooled though so need to check for card that has a block available. Was considering Gigabyte GeForce GTX 580 SOC 1536MB GDDR5 http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-082-GI&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1812

Sticking with current case CM HAF 932

Now for the fun bit.

Reservoir - XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Split (for future GPU cooling on second loop)
Rad - Thermochill TA 120.3
Fans - Enermax TB silence
Pump - Laing D5 Solar (22W) (Max 1500lts/hr & 3.7m head)
CPU Block - EK Supreme HF Nickel (But only if they solve the Nickel plating issue)
Tubing - Primoflex Pro 7/16" ID x 5/8" OD in UV Blue
Fittings - EK Compression 7/16" ID in Nickel Black
Fluid - Primochill pure performance clear with silver coil (maybe two for good measure)

Any advice on above is welcome.
For info I am looking for a quality build not a cheap build.
Primarily a gaming rig with dual monitors 1920 x 1200.

I am also looking for high performance along with near silence. I know these are not easy to attain together but they cannot be mutually exclusive given the right build.

1) I intend to fit the 3 x 120 rad in the top of the case. Given the GTX 580 will be air cooled in the first instance, would the fans be better as flowing into the case? Unsure how high my case temperature will be with the GTX exhausting into the case.

2) Need a bit more research on the Rad and Fans setup. Quiet fans and matching Rad. May need more Rad especially once I hook up the second loop to the GPU. There used to be an option to put a stand off shroud at the back of the case with a 3 x 120 rad vertical. Can't seem to find it now.

Anyway thanks for looking.

Gaz

After a few posts and a LOT of reading, here's what I'm planning.

Sticking with current i7 920 and EVGA X58 SLI motherboard will overclock once watercooled.

Upgrading graphics to GTX 580 unsure of brand to go for yet. Will be on air for now. Would like the option to go watercooled though so need to check for card that has a block available. Was considering Gigabyte GeForce GTX 580 SOC 1536MB GDDR5 http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-082-GI&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1812

Sticking with current case CM HAF 932

Now for the fun bit.

Reservoir - XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Split (for future GPU cooling on second loop)
Rad - Thermochill TA 120.3
Fans - Enermax TB silence
Pump - Laing D5 Solar (22W) (Max 1500lts/hr & 3.7m head)
CPU Block - EK Supreme HF Nickel (But only if they solve the Nickel plating issue)
Tubing - Primoflex Pro 7/16" ID x 5/8" OD in UV Blue
Fittings - EK Compression 7/16" ID in Nickel Black
Fluid - Primochill pure performance clear with silver coil (maybe two for good measure)

Any advice on above is welcome.
For info I am looking for a quality build not a cheap build.
Primarily a gaming rig with dual monitors 1920 x 1200.

I am also looking for high performance along with near silence. I know these are not easy to attain together but they cannot be mutually exclusive given the right build.

1) I intend to fit the 3 x 120 rad in the top of the case. Given the GTX 580 will be air cooled in the first instance, would the fans be better as flowing into the case? Unsure how high my case temperature will be with the GTX exhausting into the case.

2) Need a bit more research on the Rad and Fans setup. Quiet fans and matching Rad. May need more Rad especially once I hook up the second loop to the GPU. There used to be an option to put a stand off shroud at the back of the case with a 3 x 120 rad vertical. Can't seem to find it now.

Anyway thanks for looking.

Gaz

Looks ok to me only 2 things i would change

Fans: Either Yate Loons or 1850GTs those are 2 of the best quiet rad fans i (and alot of people) have ever used!

Fluid: Distilled water is what you want... its cheap ($2.00) per gal. and PT-Nuke is cheaper than the coil and will last you for years.

Now i would have the RAD taking in Ambient air and putting the hot air in the case. The 580 Exhausts most heat out the back of the case to your case shouldnt get to terribl hot, so you could have it uptop pulling air out of the case.

EDIT: never heard of the d5 solar but from what i see at Google its expensive...

Last edited:
:welcome:

I would stick with traditional pumps. MCP35X would be my suggestion.

Yep different fans and ditch the fluid. Distilled, biocide, and even kill coils will suffice.

The rad will work fine with your cpu, but if you drop the gpu on the loop you will need more raddage to keep it silent. Need at least another 120.1 added to the loop.

Go to www.coolingconfigurator.com to check if a block is made for your card. Reference cards are easier to find blocks for than non-reference. That website is run by EK so it's only going to show ek blocks, but it will give you an idea on if a card you choose has any blocks available. This only counts with full coverage blocks. You can always use a universal black and fall back on heat sinks and air cooling the chips not covered by a universal. Still works out great.

The D5 Solar is quoted as giving higher flow and head and I like the idea of the metal housing and threaded connections over the D5 Vario with lower spec's and moulded barbs.

The 1850RPM GT's are on my list. I may even get one fan of each type that makes the list and test them side by side. An extra couple spare 120's will not go wrong and they don't cost the earth.

The Noctua NF-S12B FLX Ultra Quiet Flexible Cooling Fan http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/N...ra-Quiet-120mm-Flexible-Cooling-Fan_1434.html Blows away the GT's if the spec' is to be believed. Pity about the stinky Beige and Brown colour scheme.

The CM HAF 932 already has a serious amount of intake air flow so my only concern is getting the air back out before it blows the door (side panel) off. There's room for a rear 140 and bottom 120. Need high flow low noise varients. No need for any real head though.

:welcome:

I would stick with traditional pumps. MCP35X would be my suggestion.

Yep different fans and ditch the fluid. Distilled, biocide, and even kill coils will suffice.

The rad will work fine with your cpu, but if you drop the gpu on the loop you will need more raddage to keep it silent. Need at least another 120.1 added to the loop.

Go to www.coolingconfigurator.com to check if a block is made for your card. Reference cards are easier to find blocks for than non-reference. That website is run by EK so it's only going to show ek blocks, but it will give you an idea on if a card you choose has any blocks available. This only counts with full coverage blocks. You can always use a universal black and fall back on heat sinks and air cooling the chips not covered by a universal. Still works out great.

The MCP35X is a lower flow higher head pump and as I am going with high flow / low restriction blocks I thought (May be wrong. It has been known) the D5 would be a better choice.

Fans? I'm still researching (See previous post). Not keen on plain distilled water, not convinced about the purity. I know a lot of people use it though.

I am thinking of running a second loop for the GPU(s) eventually. Probably with another triple rad. This is another reason for the high flow pump. The ability to split the flow. Or maybe just go for two.:D

Try to find a EVGA GTX 580 FTW with a hydro copper block. Expensive cards, but good. Also very hard to find now.

As for distilled, if it's done properly you can't beat it. However, since you live in the UK, distilled will be very hard to come by. Use deionized water instead. Don't fall for the hype. Those expensive fluids are over priced distilled water with dyes and non useful additives. The more stuff you add to water, the less it can cool. As with fans, on the rads the yates are fine, or get gt 1450s. Most any fan will do for exhausting purposes.

Don't split your flow. If you run one pump then run your water in series. The temps will be the same, possibly better, it's cheaper, less complicated, and easier to manage when drains and cleaning time comes. I.E. res-pump-rad 1- rad 2-cpu-gpu-gpu-res.

The actual loop order is irrelevant other than pump immediatly after res, but splitting the loop really isn't suggested even with high flow pumps.

Think you need to understand a bit more about low/high flow.

The DDC series like the 355 and the new 35x or the D5 aka 655 both are great pumps.

In a low restriction system, the 655 since it's a bigger impeller has higher flow. I'm talking LOWWW restriction. In a higher restriction loop, and not silly high the 655 will do fine. The DDC series has a smaller impeller and less flow . But it's able to keep pressure up down the road as you add things.

Most of us would way rather have a DDC or a 35x over a 655 due to the size.

So don't worry about the flow. Your talking a way average nothing special loop. Either pump will do. I have a 655 vario, my first pump. Then went to two loops with the 355 and XSPC resttops. Good stuff. Now I run a big series loop (see my sig, needs updated) and run ONE 35x and use the mobo to control speed. I got way more restriction than you will, and the pump is at 50% no load, 85% max RPM. Just fine.

Hope it helps, don't fret the high flow vs low flow with any pumps I have mentioned

Think you need to understand a bit more about low/high flow.

The DDC series like the 355 and the new 35x or the D5 aka 655 both are great pumps.

In a low restriction system, the 655 since it's a bigger impeller has higher flow. I'm talking LOWWW restriction. In a higher restriction loop, and not silly high the 655 will do fine. The DDC series has a smaller impeller and less flow . But it's able to keep pressure up down the road as you add things.

Most of us would way rather have a DDC or a 35x over a 655 due to the size.

So don't worry about the flow. Your talking a way average nothing special loop. Either pump will do. I have a 655 vario, my first pump. Then went to two loops with the 355 and XSPC resttops. Good stuff. Now I run a big series loop (see my sig, needs updated) and run ONE 35x and use the mobo to control speed. I got way more restriction than you will, and the pump is at 50% no load, 85% max RPM. Just fine.

Hope it helps, don't fret the high flow vs low flow with any pumps I have mentioned

Pressure / temperature and flow loops are my bread and butter as I deal with this stuff on a day to day basis in my job.

It's not flow and pressure I need to know more about. Rather the application to water cooling as I have no experience in this.

I do appreciate your input though. Given the stats for the MCP35X I will probably amend my choice to this pump.

As this is going to be a staged build I will probably go with:
res - pump - cpu - triple rad
res - pump - cpu - gpu(s) - triple rad (Expect to need more rad)
res - pump - cpu - triple rad - gpu(s) - triple rad (If temps are not to my liking then I will split to two loops)
res - pump - cpu - triple rad & res - pump - gpu(s) - triple rad

The good thing is nothing is purchased at this time and thanks to the folks on here and their willingness to help, I am learning more all the time and more than likely saving money too.

One quick question. How much noise from the MCP35X? It's unfortunately not one of the stats that get reported for pumps.

Thanks again.

Pressure / temperature and flow loops are my bread and butter as I deal with this stuff on a day to day basis in my job.

It's not flow and pressure I need to know more about. Rather the application to water cooling as I have no experience in this.

I do appreciate your input though. Given the stats for the MCP35X I will probably amend my choice to this pump.

As this is going to be a staged build I will probably go with:
res - pump - cpu - triple rad
res - pump - cpu - gpu(s) - triple rad (Expect to need more rad)
res - pump - cpu - triple rad - gpu(s) - triple rad (If temps are not to my liking then I will split to two loops)
res - pump - cpu - triple rad & res - pump - gpu(s) - triple rad

The good thing is nothing is purchased at this time and thanks to the folks on here and their willingness to help, I am learning more all the time and more than likely saving money too.

One quick question. How much noise from the MCP35X? It's unfortunately not one of the stats that get reported for pumps.

Thanks again.

not even audible unless your ear is like right on it. Noise is one thing you will not hear from pumps.

Also with how you want to add to the loop. I personally would get the 2nd Rad before the GPU block... temps of a gpu and cpu on a 360 will be kinda hot.

not even audible unless your ear is like right on it. Noise is one thing you will not hear from pumps.

Also with how you want to add to the loop. I personally would get the 2nd Rad before the GPU block... temps of a gpu and cpu on a 360 will be kinda hot.

Yeh, I take your point about rad before gpu(s) although the loop will find its equilibrium temperature wise. May well be more efficient though. I expect I'll need the second triple rad and will try a few variations prior to final fitment.

Good to hear (Or not;)) that the pumps are quiet though.

The 35x does have a bit of noise at full speed. Bit of a whine. Easily quieted with PWM control off the CPU header.

The 355's are even less noise.

And spot on about not to worry where the second rad goes. Temps differ very little anywhere in the loop. Just worry about hose routing.

Thanks for that.

I think I'm about done asking questions.

Now to find the time and devise a way of getting all this stuff into the house without the wife asking questions.

No doubt more questions once the build begins.

One last thing.

After all the reading I've done I'm still unsure if I should lap my i7 920 prior to block installation with Indigo extreme.

What's the general consensus in the WC community?

One last thing.

After all the reading I've done I'm still unsure if I should lap my i7 920 prior to block installation with Indigo extreme.

What's the general consensus in the WC community?

Im sure opinions on this will vary depending on the user, but i have lapped my i7 860 and swifty XT and there was a 3*C cooler temp than before it was lapped... so IMO for the 50$ i wasted on lapping i would probably never do it again unless the CPU i was doing it on was over warranty.

Lapping isn't needed anymore. Most CPUs are a bit concave. Modern WC blocks are a bit convex for best pressure on the die under the heat spreader.

So, don't lap it unless you have problems, and for sure don't lap the block.

Aha, the wife problem.

I sell rose colored/smelling watercooling liquid. It's $39.99 a liter.

It works like this.

Wife says, "Looks pretty and smells wonderful too! Buy more stuff, I like watercooling!"

So it's an investment of sorts. And of course I'm kidding.

Back