• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Years Day Surprise - Abit IC7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

door#3

I have built 2 systems with Abit IC7 mobos, one with the plain IC7 and one with the IC7G. Both have Intel 2.4C CPU's running at 3.2 (XP Pro). These systems have been running 100% stable since I built them.

On new years day both systems froze. Upon reboot the BIOS had defaulted back to a "safe" setting, and would make you do the "F1 to continue" thing. I was able to set the bios back to my previous settings and the systems would then boot fine, and they seem to run fine, but...

In the intermediate state one system got hosed enough that Explorer.exe would not start. I used a system restore point to get it to start windows XP again. I have since updated the BIOS and wiped it (just in case). The other system wouldn't recognize any USB devices so I had to dig out and old mouse and kbd to get it running again, the the OS seemed OK after resetting the BIOS.

Has this happened to anyone else? I figure it was some weird year change problem. And we were worried about Y2K :bang head

Last edited:
i've had the explorer.exe thing happen twice. never found out what it was, i just went to www.download.com d/l'd and installed it again.

the usb thing happened once, on my school pc, i put blame on the generic psu and having no surge protector. my wireless usb k/b-mouse was recognized and had to do the f1 thing as well. pulled out the ps2 gear and renabled usb 1.1/2.0 support in the bios and everything got settled again.

i hear about the explorer.exe issue happen to others as well, but there pc's were ridden with spy/adware. i use mozilla now, only open ie if the site i'm at isn't supported by mozilla.

forgot to mention, ic7's seem to rule the s478 world. i have an abit ai7(building for my bro) and found out the lack of vmod's(except for vdimm) and the poor mosfets used that cause instability on prescott overclocking.

ic7's/ asus p4c800's = nf7/dfi nfII''s

Back