• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie help on CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DoctorDave

Registered
I have overclocked all of my computers somewhat. I even fried my athlon chip. Doh. hehe

Now i am interested in building myself another fun computer for home. I have decided on intel and Koolance case. Any suggestions on CPU. I dont want to buy the 2.4 cause of the high price, but what can i expect with that case and a smaller cpu? Is the Northwood the new chip that overclocks better?

I have mobo questions too, So i will post them in the intel mother board section.

Dave:D

Definately don't waste your money on anything over 2.0 GHz. You definately want a northwood....it overclocks like a mofo. Most people are buying the 1.6a or 1.8a. I lean toward the 1.8a personally because of the higher multiplier and it's only about $20 more.

ask for?

So i need to find a vendor selling a Northwood 1.8a OR 2.0a if i want to spend the money. What is that called 478 or something? I forget the name so i will know what mobo to get. also please see my thread in the intel mobo section.

Thanks for your help.

Dave:beer:

what about the 1.9?

how does the 1.9 stack up. I forgot about that one? much cheaper too. If i am watercooling it, what multiplyer is best?

Thanks

I do not believe they make the 1.9 in the northwood chipset i could be wrong though, go with the 1.6a everyone has had great success with it and its rather cheap, go with an asus or abit based mobo and dont go ddr go rambus..with a good cooling unit you should be able to get that baby up higher, i want to get mine up higher but my fsb wont go past 133 w/out dip switches and im not ready to take the risk of pushing my fsb to the frying point:eek:
Good luck with your new rig and tell us what ya get!

P.S. oh yea about the koolance cases i've heard bad reviews about them and that they are not very good water cooling rigs, i suggest checking out building your own setup or a premade setup from www.dangerden.com i dont know if you have your heart set on the koolance system but i dont recommend it IMHO

Back