• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Newbie overclocking PIII 500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
J

JIMBO

I took my first stab at overclocking. I increased my bus frequency to a safe 112 mhz. My question is I didn't increase my bus multiplier, should I ? I ran SiSoft Sandra and was told I'm now running at 560 mhz. Looking in my Motherboard manual, I came to the conclusion that I should increase the multiplier to 5.5 from 5.0. Would this be correct to assume this ? Will this bump up performance more. What else would be fairly safe to do ?

PIII 500
Asus P3V133 Via Apollo pro 133 chipset
320 mb SDRAM Pc 100
Ati Rage 128 32 mb card

Intel multipliers are locked all you can do is change the FSB my PIII is stuck with a multiplier of 7...ah if only i could change it..

Can the multiplier settings be changed on the mobo, or will the CPU refuse to run at anything but intels specs? I'm now operating at 112 mhz with the bus frequency multiple on the mobo at 5.0x. I'm running at 560 mhz should the multiple be set at 5.5x to go along with the increase in performance. How now does this effect my memory ? I have 2 sticks one spec-tek 64 mb pc 100 and a 256 mb hyundai pc 133. SiSoft sandra tells me my 256 mb stick is Micron ??? It also tells me that my memory benchmark is not very strong. I'm not getting any error messages or any wierd stuff happening, I'm just wondering if I'm pushing the 64 mb stick to hard. What's my next step to getting more kick out of her,without getting to drastic ? Someone Please Help

PIII 500
320 mb pc100 memory
256 mb pc 133 & 64 mb pc 100
Asus P3V133 motherboard VIA Apollo pro 133 chipset
12.7 gig H.D

The multiplier is locked on all P-III chips, sorry. If you change it, your computer will not boot up. Memory will only run as fast as the slowest module you have. I'd leave the PC-133 in and pull out the other ones. Sell or swap the memory for a good CPU cooler. Do some low buck case cooling mods, then try raising the FSB speed some more. With good cooling and some luck, you might make it up to 133 bus speed. To do that, you might need to increase the voltage a little, which means that cooling is even more important.

Back