• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie Router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Berne

Hi,
I would lke to buy a router for better security all around and I read about the GL-AR750S . It seems to tick all the boxes at 65UK pounds.

Just now on amazon a guy left a negative that the router does not deliver on 5GHZ, and uses only one channell.

Are there any rock solid routers that I could use to ride on my phones simcard to gain a fast connection while using my chromebook?

If I went with the purchasing the GL-AR750S, I see it has a USB option and Ive read about LTE Dongles, would using one of them on the GL gain me any speed or does the Sim provider on my phone cap the throughput speed I can get?

If I was in a fix could I access fast WIFI using other IT equipment or must one always pay an ISP to get onto a fast WIFI network at home or travelling?

Berne

I'm not sure I understand all of your questions. Additionally, what is true for cellular networks for me in the U.S. may not be true for you Brexit or EU. So I'll answer the best I know in the U.S. and hopefully give you some sort of a starting place to answer your questions. That means that everything I say could be wrong.

If you are looking to connect to the internet while away from home, I'd be happier with a cell company "Hotspot". A dedicated device that connects to the internet via a cell company that you pay either per usage or on contract payments similar as you would a phone. If you have the need for a lot of reliable data transfer, this is probably the best way to go. They are smaller than the device you mentioned. About the length and width of a credit card but a lot thicker. Can connect (data/charge) via USB and for use at home/office/hotel, can sit in a window to get the best cell signal and then you connect to it via WiFi.

If you don't have the need for a lot of data, you could contract with your cell phone provider to allow your phone to be a hotspot. Many providers over here charge a bit extra but then you are allowed more "high speed" data. You wouldn't need an extra device but you still incur more cost. I believe that this addresses your first question.

The speed and amount of data would be determined by the amount of bandwidth available AND what your contract limits you to. This would be true no matter what equipment you have.

Hi ,

Many thanks, I think for me a faster speed is what Im looking for. Using my phones simcard does get me a signal on my chromebook but speed is only 2MBP S down and 0.35 UP, so I shall research further to see what options maybe out there. Cheers on buyiing a dedicated hotspot.

Berne

Hi ,

Many thanks, I think for me a faster speed is what Im looking for. Using my phones simcard does get me a signal on my chromebook but speed is only 2MBP S down and 0.35 UP, so I shall research further to see what options maybe out there. Cheers on buyiing a dedicated hotspot.

Berne

Update:

After some trial and error I went with a major ISP with 170MBS down constant a world away from sim card hotspotting from smartphone with 2MBS .

Just wondering...if my ISP is providing me 170MBS can I using an added router boost that speed ?

Berne

Update:

After some trial and error I went with a major ISP with 170MBS down constant a world away from sim card hotspotting from smartphone with 2MBS .

Just wondering...if my ISP is providing me 170MBS can I using an added router boost that speed ?

Berne

Your ISP speed will be the maximum speed - it's the bottleneck, so it doesn't matter if any devices in your house are capable of faster speeds.
I'm not aware of any sort of traffic compression or anything that might allow higher throughput.

Nice upgrade for sure. :)

Yep, you can't strap 2 modems together and double throughput (or get a better modem that runs what your isp gives you faster)... :p .... those 56k days are over! :p

Sorry for nitpicking, but in the world of computers and networking, "B" is for bytes and "b" is for bits. I knew what you meant when you where talking about your network speeds but some people may not catch that. :thup:

Hi, many thanks its Mbits/sec got it, and no higher on the speed.

Thank you,

Berne

Nice upgrade for sure. :)

Yep, you can't strap 2 modems together and double throughput (or get a better modem that runs what your isp gives you faster)... :p .... those 56k days are over! :p

ackshually

Last edited:
Vid no workie....

To be clear I said you can't do that today, but could do that with 2 modems/dialup back in the day. If you can do that with cable with the same signal, I've learned something.

The aggragets that I've seen have been to combine cable and DSL or fiber or cell and are more for backup than to increase speed. We use Comcast for our main line and... wait... Comcast for our backup line. Yeah I hear it. We don't get double the speed. No speed increase at all. We just load balance between them. Our main line does go out too often and the backup line still works so we shunt to the slower backup line.

Vid no workie....

To be clear I said you can't do that today, but could do that with 2 modems/dialup back in the day. If you can do that with cable with the same signal, I've learned something.

fixed the video lol

tl;dr it's a box that you can plug two internet connections into and it merges them into one double speed connection.

tl;dr it's a box that you can plug two internet connections into and it merges them into one double speed connection.

Actually, some DSL plans do that very thing. Sounds like a great idea if you want to pay for two internet hookups.

Back