• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie with raid question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Creacher

Registered
Alright, I've finally concluded that I want to set up a raid array, preferably RAID 0.

I'm under one IBM 60GXP 40gig right now, but I've been considering going raid ever since I've heard that it would give a performance boost in access times. I realize that it would be best to get an identical drive, and the same model and manufacturer.

But once I hook up both drives to a raid ide port, what then? will I have to reformat my current drive, and start over with both drives on raid 0? will I need to install anything once I get windows up (win2k)... such as raid drivers or a raid utility? what does windows see? just 1 drive combined? or seperate C and D drives?

also, include any tips and/or suggestions too if possible. as I've said again, I'm a newbie to raid, so all this is brand new to me.

thanks in advance!

RAID 0 does not increase access time. Only raw throughput for read and write actions.

You will need to reformat and do a complete reinstallation.

Windows only sees one drive unless you partition it. It will treat it as any other single drive.

As far as instructions go, they're pretty straightforward and no harder than one person can make them. Setting up your array in the RAID BIOS takes all of one minute.

If you follow the directions the controller comes with you will have no trouble.

Back