• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie with shuttle SP35P2 gtx 970 mini?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fitnessman

Registered
Hi guys am needing to build a pc with a good graphics card to run golf sim software (protee 2.0) i have a shuttle SP35P2 with a q9550 quad processor so meet the criteria for professing power, have 6 gb of ram albeit ddr2 and currently an ati 4770 gpu which does not meet the games gpu citeria, can i simply add a 970 mini and run it under the 400w psu to meet the criteria or will that not work, dont want to fork out £250 to find out it does not work thanks

That is a 150W card... your CPU is 95W.. the rest of the system maybe 50W or so.

It should be fine assuming its a QUAILTY PSU. That said, if it came with a case, and that long ago, I would be concerned. Can you please post pictures of the label on the PSU that shows the rating on the rails?

Dear LAWD... $3K for a golf sim?!!!!!

Thanks for the reply, assuming the psu is ok are there any other issues that you can foresee, i.e bios? Or would it be fine, cant post pics at the moment but will do when i can

- - - Updated - - -

And yes 3k but its a business investment that hs left me skint hence asking if i can upgrade an old pc over having to buy a new one

please help with this build am new and need a good gaming rig

hi guys I have put this build together on pcpartpicker http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/f27r8d basically I need to know what you think, I have never built a gaming rig before only tinkered with pcs but would like to try. box.co.uk can build a similar machine for a similar amount but with limited parts so I would like to take advantage of being able to choose the best parts for a similar price.
Its for a golf sim, I need a high end computer to run it on 2 1080p screens simultaneously, 1 24 inch screen and a projector, I think the cpu is right there is only £10 difference between the4690 and the k version so I think the k allows me to overclock at some point if I need it and for £10 more why not! for and extra £10 I think I would like the option, for GPU I am torn between the gtx980 and the 980 ti as its just for 1080p so advice is welcome there, is the 980 ti overkill? will the zotac version that I can afford (lowest priced 980 ti) suffer with heat, but will the 980 vision I have chosen being overclocked better for 1080p?, I think the ram is right, the case is what I want for portability, I need a mother board that's fits and has wifi and Bluetooth with overclock options so I chose the msi z97i gaming ac but if there is better, with overclock wifi and Bluetooth all essential, please advise, I have an 850 evo ssd to put in so harddrive is not an issue, do I need cooling? will it fit in the box as I was looking at the h100i if I don't need it please advise and I have chosen the modular 650 w PSU again please advise

without looking at your list I can tell you that the 980 is way, big overkill for 1080p a 970 will do you very well.
the 4690K is a good choice.
corsair says it will take a 240 rad but it must go in the side.

Last edited:
thanks for that I am very new to this, I did consider the 970 but want the golf sim to run as well as possible hence the 980 it has lots of trees tec and I just want the screen, which is the main point, to give the best possible display so a bit of overkill aint too bad, its just 980 ti vs 980 and from what you are saying 980 should be fine correct? also can you elaborate on the rad comment please I assume you mean it needs to be positioned on its side, its that possible with my case and mainboard combo? or just not bother with cooling

I merged your duplicate threads. Please keep the same subject to the same thread. This will help everyone involved by having it in one spot.. no duplicate suggestions, no post goes unread. ;)

As far as the list, looks solid to me. My only concern is the length of the GPU chosen and that case. Please make sure you check the maximum length of GPU that case supports (go to MFG website and check in the spec) and check the length of the card against it.

If you want to save some cash, I would look into the 970 as well, 980 at most. But the 970 would be a better choice for a small form factor as it puts out less heat.

As far as the random radiator comment above. I believe he is suggesting one and that it will fit on the side of that case. Again, you can check at the MFG website for the case as to what size rads fit and where.

thanks for the replies so far guys, to be fair I don't save that much compared to box.co.uk building it to spec on their site, its about £40 more expensive for them to build this spec with 8gb ram not 16 gb, this thread is different as I will be building a new pc and not upgrading my old one but thanks for merging them.
self build with 16gb ram as linked above at pcpart picker is £929.20 same build with 980ti is £1027.38 box.co.uk to build with 980 ti exact same but with 8gb of same ram is £1100, so £70 for it to be built for me.
I would like to build it but I don't save a ton of cash I save more building my own with a 980 and have some money over to put a cooling system in so that's why I ask.
if cube would build this spec for me should I not assume it would all fit in the case? I will check MFG but am at work at the moment

I mean building it yourself, piece by piece. You'll save a ton over the prebuilt systems.

thanks for your input guys I bit the bullet and bought the parts,
went with i5 4690k
a last ditch bit of research and settled on the gigabyte GA z97n gaming 5 mini itx, the msi board did not have great reviews but this did
16 gb hyperx fury ram
evga gtx 980 superclocked acx 2.0
cosair 380t mini portable case
cosair rm 650 fully modular psu
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/vTMfLk
just waiting now to build it and hopefully I have not done something glaringly wrong with this selection thanks

yes I agree however is was only £15 more for 16gb over 8gb so for what it costs why not :) I will likely never need it

thanks for your input guys I bit the bullet and bought the parts,
went with i5 4690k
a last ditch bit of research and settled on the gigabyte GA z97n gaming 5 mini itx, the msi board did not have great reviews but this did
16 gb hyperx fury ram
evga gtx 980 superclocked acx 2.0
cosair 380t mini portable case
cosair rm 650 fully modular psu
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/vTMfLk
just waiting now to build it and hopefully I have not done something glaringly wrong with this selection thanks

All looks good to me :)

yes I agree however is was only £15 more for 16gb over 8gb so for what it costs why not :) I will likely never need it
That is exactly why not... you will never need it and could have saved some money. It wont make one bit of difference unless your 8GB is used.

true earthdog but at least I will have a spare I suppose, I intend to keep this for a while as its for a specific purpose, in 08 I bought I bare bones shuttle as listed above with q9550 and ddr2 ram and when 1 stick died and then dd3 come on the scene the price of ddr2 shot up as it was not mass produced and made it difficult/expensive to buy replacement ram so maybe im thinking the same regards ddr4 I don't know, just new at this:)
I will likely look for cooling options also when it all arrives im guessing water cooling would be the best option? I have heard good things about the h100i but any other opinions out there

I wouldn't watercool unless you plan on overclocking heavily. See if something like the coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO will fit in that case... ;)

Back