• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nf7-s voltage mods rev 2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i cant get mine to measure the volts.. i must not be doing it in the right spots.. but im doing it where it says check volt spots :/

where it says check votl spots, you choose ONE of the spots for your red lead off voltmeter, and connect Black lead off voltmeter to a ground (anything connected to the shell of the PSU will work)

I know i changed the resistance though

this has a dial for

___
- - - V
~V and the ohlms smymbol.. which one of those V's should i use to test volts

Last edited:
use the one with the dashes (which is for D.C.), NOT the ~ (that's for A.C., which is not what the PSU supplies)
set the voltmeter to the closest setting 2V or above for the most accurate reading.
might wanna be sure that the leads are plugged into the correct holes in the voltmeter unit itself, if it tests Amperes, there is a separate RED lead connect for that.

im not supposed to be checking the volt when the pc is on am i? because im not

im currently trying another NF7-S ver 2 board i have to see if it hits the same wall as my other.

yeah, check it when the PC is on and running. just be careful not to touch the leads to anything else besides the test point!

I also adjusted the voltage (through the resistor) while the pc was on and running.

I'm about to head to the stereo shop and have the clips removed and the points soldered permament if I can clean up in time.

LkyOldSun - are you using those clips for the VDD (chipset) mod? If so...how? It's just one little resistor...pencil is easier IMO.

nah- the clips were for testing purposes. The were easy to use though. They are small enough to clip one onto the leg of the chip and just ground the other wire to the case of the psu. Once after testing I realised I'd get 8 more FSB, I figured I'd solder them since the board was already out of the case. Didn't wan't no tempory solution. Perma fix for me, as I do a lot of changing equipment around.
My GF's dad was so impressed I did this mod, that he hired me as a stereo technician. Pretty cool!

EDIT: need to update my sig, but no time :(

Last edited:
Congrats on the new job. It's nice to have some quantitative results from doing the VDD mod. I think I just might do it myself.

What cooling are you using on your NB?

I bought an old PII HSF (active) and used zip ties to securely attach it to the NB.
adn I cut a second one up, removed the fan, and artic ceramique/epoxy attached it to the SB.
the funny thing is that I hit a wall, stable at 231 FSB at 1.85 volts, no post at 232. 1.9*v still has the same wall, and will not post at anything above 231 no matter the voltage to NB.
and the mofsets are not hot to touch either.

no that's next. I have one 512 kingston valuram that can do 231, but the other 512 can barely do 210.

But my mobo is secure back in it's case, and the case is buried in it's cubbyhole, and with school starting, I don't see myself being able to get to it for several months. :(

quite the old thread, but I got a question:
First, I have a nf7 rev 1.1, not 2, and secondly, those links dont work,
My nf7 only goes to 1.85v and I am actually only getting 1.77v out of it which is really hindering my overclock on my mobile barton.

It appears that those links were probably what I wanted, but they do not work, does anyone have updated ones or something else that may get me a higher voltage? both my 5v and 12v lines seem plenty high and mosfets arent super hot.

Thanks,
Jon

Back