• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nikhsub1 has gone pump crazy again...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Overbrazil said:
Nik, How about the noise, heat dissipation and vibration ?
Looks a very kind pump :)
All Unknown at this point... I dont think it will be quiet, I expect something along the lines of 40dBa or so. Input wattage is 3.2A * 24V = 76.8W but the data sheet says that it's wattage output is 45W. Will let you know once I get it running, will be a week or so though I guess.

greenman100 said:
true, but I'd expect the voltage to dip more than 2v

again, I think that 10a is overrated

How about a 1.5 farad?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50547&item=5727695424&rd=1

A lot of .5 farad caps on ebay too. Dunno if they are max rated at 24v though... the .5 farad caps go for like 10$ shipped.

Would it be better to have a large 24v PSU rather than a large cap and a small PSU though?
And how do you charge the cap before turning the pump on? Switch for the PSU then a switch just for the pump?

You guys are going way over my head with the electronic side of this. I will be getting a 24v PSU, plug and play. PSU to 110AC and pump to 24v PSU, done. Just need to find the smallest one possible.

jamesavery22 said:
How about a 1.5 farad?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50547&item=5727695424&rd=1

A lot of .5 farad caps on ebay too. Dunno if they are max rated at 24v though... the .5 farad caps go for like 10$ shipped.

Would it be better to have a large 24v PSU rather than a large cap and a small PSU though?
And how do you charge the cap before turning the pump on? Switch for the PSU then a switch just for the pump?

physical size is a bit prohibitive for somehting that big, and I dunno if the cap is good for 24v

you'd just use a time delay module to let the cap charge

nikhsub1

why not 2 meanwells in parallel?

greenman100 said:
physical size is a bit prohibitive for somehting that big, and I dunno if the cap is good for 24v

you'd just use a time delay module to let the cap charge

nikhsub1

why not 2 meanwells in parallel?

Yeah the 1.5 and 1s are about 10" high and 2.5" in diameter. the 0.5 are about half that though.
Either way still pretty big. Probably not as big as that 1970's 24v PS though :D
Newer PSU usually means more efficient. I tend to get anal about my electric bill so thats the route Id go.

Get a 1/2 farad cap and a 24v PSU rated right at that constant power rating of the pump.

And the majority of caps made for car audio are rated to have max discharge of 24v. Some ive seen were 18v though so its something youw ant to double check. That one I listed was 24v.

how much power is a farhad? always wanted to know

a meanwell S-320-24 is pretty sleek (can be mounted in optical bay) but it's overpowered and expensive.

lol I was looking for specs on caps rated at 24v nominal

http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/ACAP50.html?id=NhR5yxWK

[sarcasm]This isnt overkill at all I swear[/sarcasm]

acap50.jpg

Well guys, how much of a cap would he need with this psu?
It's about the size of a computer psu (a tad longer front to back) and runs 8.5 amps @ 24V, fan cooled.

Cool, the same site has a 15 Amp Lambda on the front page for cheap, but I don't know if he'd like to overvolt to 28.

I have a 12 volt 40 amp Lambda that I'd gotten when considering TEC's. Solid bugger with caps as big as my wrist.

greenman100 said:
no caps needed for that, diggrr

no caps needed for the meanwell either, IMHO

just like amplifiers, PSUs are given peak and continous ratings

generally peak is twice continuous
So if I find a psu that is rated for say, 6A constant duty, it should then in theory give it the 10A it needs at startup?

nikhsub1 said:
So if I find a psu that is rated for say, 6A constant duty, it should then in theory give it the 10A it needs at startup?

5A constant duty would probably be fine, too

you have tor realize that devices who consume electricty are generally over rated and devices that give electricty generally under rated, for an industrial point of view

this generalization is invalid when marketing comes into play

greenman100 said:
5A constant duty would probably be fine, too

you have tor realize that devices who consume electricty are generally over rated and devices that give electricty generally under rated, for an industrial point of view

this generalization is invalid when marketing comes into play
So then to confirm, this unit would be fine? http://www.meanwellusa.com/cat_pdfs/c_pps-125.pdf 5.2A and it can be had for around $50 or so, and I can mount it under my 5.25" bay where there is one D4.

nikhsub1 said:
So then to confirm, this unit would be fine? http://www.meanwellusa.com/cat_pdfs/c_pps-125.pdf 5.2A and it can be had for around $50 or so, and I can mount it under my 5.25" bay where there is one D4.

I'd bet it'd work, but I honestly can't say for sure.

The only thing that scares me is the overload protection-if it didn't have that I'd be all for it.

You really need to find out from meanwell what the conditions are for that overload to kick in.

Back