• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nikhsub1 has gone pump crazy again...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, the pump is a beast, the PSU rocks and I don't have time to install it just yet... I also got my G5 (Thanks Cathar!). This pump is a fire hydrant, rediculous really. It is loud when it is unrestricted, whooshing water sound that is metallic sounding. However, when I restrict the outlet (or inlet) the whooshing goes away and then it is fairly quiet.

rd30parts.jpg

rdandg5.jpg

rdandg52.jpg

rdandg53.jpg

secretweapon said:
Nice! Is that G5 #1 for production?
I guess around here, you'd have to ask Cathar... I would think Cathar had #1 or perhaps Thorilan?

Wasn't it once mentioned that having too powerful of a pump on Cathars new blocks would actually have a decrease in performance because of the resistance of the block is so high: it would force the pump to work harder, raising the temperature of the water higher than it would be with a weaker pump?

pwnt by pat said:
Wasn't it once mentioned that having too powerful of a pump on Cathars new blocks would actually have a decrease in performance because of the resistance of the block is so high: it would force the pump to work harder, raising the temperature of the water higher than it would be with a weaker pump?
Well sort of... if the pump dumps too much heat, it could be a step backwards yeah. Cathar has estimated that this pump should push about 9lpm through the block with a 120.2, 2m tubing and the G5. I have the 120.3 which should be about the same. The other nice thing about this pump (and the PSU I have) is that I can vary the voltage from 15v to 26v (max of the pump). I am estimating the RD-30 dumps approx 45w of heat into the loop at 24v, same as my 3 D4's but the RD-30 has more pressure than the 3 D4's and will require a lot less tubing and bends with the one pump. We shall see how it goes.

Back