• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No PCI locks on Nforce2?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok so whats the deal does it have pci lock or does it not, some people are saying it does and doesnt in this thread. what companies have it and which do not?

Emericana said:
TheFrag you need a PCI lock if you want to run at high fsb (200mhz+) without currupting your hardrive, or destroying your DVD Drive/CDRW Drive, or anything else you have plugged into your IDE/RAID because they run on the PCI bus.

Ya, i know. I see you saw my other psts. Argh, POST PIRATE HO!
Anyway, Is the Abit gonna have it? What good mobo out their have a PCI lock?

Serraph said:
"I prayed you wouldn't ask that one !! Pls don't ask me that one. Gives me a feeling worse than tooth ache"

Did they honestly think nobody would notice if this feature did not exist?!? who cares about 200mhz. the reason everyone cannot wait for nforce2 is they have dreams of much higher speeds than that!

Didn't the first nForce have pci locks? Dunno why they felt they should leave it out on this version. I think the Asus nForce 2 board has it though, but that's just basing it on what OC-Master and Jstic have said.

Did they honestly think nobody would notice if this feature did not exist?!? who cares about 200mhz. the reason everyone cannot wait for nforce2 is they have dreams of much higher speeds than that!

EXACTLY almost everyone w/ a KT333 can do 200fsb and some can even do 220fsb! I am stayin w/ my KT333 unless they do somethin real good for ppl w/ crappy hardrives like me

I know the MSI nForce1 does NOT have PCI lock, or even AGP lock, but at least one of the others did, ASUS I think. The Abit might have as well. I've only used the MSI so that's all I can remember anymore.

I'm planning on getting the ASUS nForce2 since it looks like the best for OCing because of the PCI lock. I'm waiting for specs on the rest before I buy, though.

The capability of locking the PCI bus exists in both nforce1 and nforce2. It is up to each individual mobo manufacturer to choose to lock it or not. There is a greater cost involved in locking it, so the cheaper boards will tend to not have this feature. Even though it may only cost $1 per board, multiply that by a couple million boards and the cost is high.

I am working on getting some confirmation from Asus and will post here when I get something definite.

Originally posted by Jstic
The capability of locking the PCI bus exists in both nforce1 and nforce2. It is up to each individual mobo manufacturer to choose to lock it or not. There is a greater cost involved in locking it, so the cheaper boards will tend to not have this feature. Even though it may only cost $1 per board, multiply that by a couple million boards and the cost is high.

I am working on getting some confirmation from Asus and will post here when I get something definite.

I wonder if the $20 difference bettween the Asus and Epox board is the reason then of why the Epox chose to not lock the buses. Guess I'll wait for a better version.

Hmm well the board supports a max of 200 FSB so I guess there's no point to a PCI lock. Maybe they'll increase the max through some BIOS updates once the board matures.

Yep, the Epox board. 15th page of the AOA thread.

"The board has 5.1 audio through the 3 3.5mm stereo jacks onboard in keeping with realtek traditional codec routing for ALC650. This can be very easily researched by reading the manual for this or any other ALC650 equipped EPoX mainboard.

The mainboard overclocks admirably and scales well in performance in response to tweaks made within the BIOS.

The BIOS is very overclocking friendly with Voltage adjustment available for VccCore (1st plane), VDimm and VAGP.

AGP clock can be user set and adjusted.

Multipliers are freely adjustable in the BIOS.

FSB is adjustable to 200MHz.

CPU interface can be set to Aggressive if desired, every memory register of NForce 2 can be manually altered within the BIOS.

Board has Soundstorm audio.

Board has Firewire (2 ports)

Board has 6 USB 2.0 ports

Board has NVidia LAN

1 driver does all."

oh wow this is gettign worser and worser. Now i am really dissapointed in epox. I thought they would give better oveclocking features than that

Hmm, so the max is 200 instead of the 333, guess they were talking about support for those new XP's when they mentioned 333 on the site. Now I have no clue which board to get. The Asus looks the most favorable right now. Abit's my last hope for PCI locks and high fsb (if you feel 237 is high).

wait are you serious only 200mhz fsb?

the 8kha+ had more than that!

so guess the nforce 2 are a complete failure. lets hope abit's offering spices things up. however i will need to get a better water block just to use abit (the new swifty one) cause there are no holes on the board.

I think it's notable that the ET did not deny the existence of a PCI lock or a 1/6 divider. Due to the fact he can't divulge everything we want to know, you have to be able to read between the lines sometimes...

Back