• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob with X2 550BE and Asus A485TD-V EVO, basic questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks QuietIce, the only problem is I can't source the Sunbeam in the UK....

You don't think the Hyper 212 faces back either?

Maybe I could get the old version of the AC freezer, the 64 version, I believe that will face back and is very similar?

I forgot about you being in the UK - you don't have anything under location and it's hard to remember with all the threads I see in a week. ;)

One of those other coolers, I don't know if it's the Hyper or not, has an add-on bracket you can get that will rotate it 90° so it faces toward the back ...

I forgot about you being in the UK - you don't have anything under location and it's hard to remember with all the threads I see in a week. ;)

One of those other coolers, I don't know if it's the Hyper or not, has an add-on bracket you can get that will rotate it 90° so it faces toward the back ...

Thanks I will look into that. :)

While I only have the stock cooler I thought I would see about oc'ing the 2 cores, first attempt at 3.6ghz using IntelBurn Test as a quick check. Superpi at 3.1ghz is about 22.5.
This is at 1.35 vcore.

29ngsnq.jpg

This question comes up a lot of late. For my Athlon II it is 1.7v. It may be different with your Phenom II, however. My suggestion would be to set it to auto, then to manual but don't make any changes after you do. Some bioses will give you a grayed-out column to the right of each menu item showing what the default is. If not then go into Windows and run AOD Overdrive and under one of those tabs it will show you what the current value is via a slider control.

Is it the one on the bottom right set at 1.15v, NB VID?

According to the "current voltage" reading it is at 1.15 but I actually have the VDDNB set to 1.225.

Thanks to Prune I won't be going over 1.35 and I read somewhere that stock was actually 1.20, anyway going to 1.225 seems to be helping with stability so far.

I assume it is, lol!

Upping it has really improved things. I am now cautiously optimistic about the 4 cores being stable.

21mz0go.jpg

try this its how i figured out my extra two cores where not stable
run a game(for me it was crysis) with 4 cores unlocked if you start hearing some weird noises and the screen is flickering alot then 1 or 2 of the extra cores doesnt work.
core unlocking shouldnt give a temp boost
with mine unlock(with one not working) my temps stayed the same

Hyper 212 Plus points to the back. Just go to YouTube and look up a video. My CPU-NB voltage started at 1.12 and I bumped it up one notch to 1.17. I have read that a good safe range is up to 1.3 although I have seen some people take it up as high as 1.35. I haven't had any need to go that high.

I also have an unlocked quad and for the most part it has worked flawlessly. Last week I got two random reboots in one day, So I took the OC down from 3.37 to 3.1 and I applied some ACC settings. I put the first two cores at -2% and the third and fourth to +2%. Seems to be working so far. When I turned those settings off last night I got a random reboot after about six hours of use. The reboot is always the same. Screen goes grey, then I see the BSOD and then it reboots. I think that those ACC settings are working. I'm going to keep the current settings for a while (with ACC settings) and then I might try to OC up again. However, it's getting hotter here for summer so I may not up the OC until temps drop in fall.

Last edited:
Thanks I will look into that. :)

I think the Hyper 212 mounts front to back by default on the AMD socket. I went to the Cooler Master web site and downloaded the Installation PDF and if I'm interpreting it correctly . . .

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    37.2 KB · Views: 199
core unlocking shouldnt give a temp boost
with mine unlock(with one not working) my temps stayed the same

I thought it would make sense that it would really...but the fact that your 3rd working core doesn't increase temps kida proves your point.

Oh well, for what I use the computer for, overclocking the dual core will give me better results anyway - general use and photgraphic software like Adobe Lightroom etc.

I don't game so I can't do your test. :)

Last edited:
Hyper 212 Plus points to the back. Just go to YouTube and look up a video. My CPU-NB voltage started at 1.12 and I bumped it up one notch to 1.17. I have read that a good safe range is up to 1.3 although I have seen some people take it up as high as 1.35. I haven't had any need to go that high.

I also have an unlocked quad and for the most part it has worked flawlessly. Last week I got two random reboots in one day, So I took the OC down from 3.37 to 3.1 and I applied some ACC settings. I put the first two cores at -2% and the third and fourth to +2%. Seems to be working so far. When I turned those settings off last night I got a random reboot after about six hours of use. The reboot is always the same. Screen goes grey, then I see the BSOD and then it reboots. I think that those ACC settings are working. I'm going to keep the current settings for a while (with ACC settings) and then I might try to OC up again. However, it's getting hotter here for summer so I may not up the OC until temps drop in fall.

Do you find you get a load temp increase with the extra 2 cores unlocked?

I am using -2%, +2% too.

Thanks for the word on the Hyper 212, I think I will be getting that one! :)

I think the Hyper 212 mounts front to back by default on the AMD socket. I went to the Cooler Master web site and downloaded the Installation PDF and if I'm interpreting it correctly . . .

Thanks for the confirmation trents. :) I am happy to be able to go for that cooler now.

I wish this motherboard had a thing in the BIOS whereby it will switch itself off at a certain temp, my old DFI-UT250 used to have that and it was very handy to be able to leave the system on Prime95 and not have to worry about it frying anything.

I wish this motherboard had a thing in the BIOS whereby it will switch itself off at a certain temp, my old DFI-UT250 used to have that and it was very handy to be able to leave the system on Prime95 and not have to worry about it frying anything.

No, but a lot of them have some sort of thermal throttling ability whereby when you reach a certain temp it automatically reduces the cpu clock and some of them have the ability in bios ("PC Heatlh"?) to set a temp threshold audible alarm.

Speedfan can be used to set an audible alarm as well. The BIOS on my board has a shutdown temp in the PC Health Status section.

To set up the alarm in Speedfan, hit the configure button and then go to the Events tab.

Back