• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not Enough Power for OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sparz14

Registered
Hey,

iv been overclocking my 7950gt (stock 550/700)

i oc'd it yesterday to 620/720 - using ntune, then my computer crashed (although only when i opened NTune after ocing)

So, today i decided to lower it down and use rivatuner and i put it on 580/700 and i did many 3d mark benchmarks, etc... and no problems

During this time, i was checkiing the MHz and temps of the g card using nvidia monitor (which came with NTune)

Although after a while, i opened nvidia monitor again, and it crashed... Why does it only crash when i use nvidia monitor / ntune?

Is this because my 430W thermaltake psu cant handle all the power? (including my LED fans, zalman 9700nt, slight o/c of my 4200+ dual core to 2.4ghz and neons?

What kind of crash was it....was it a blue screen or was it just a shutdown and reboot? If it was the latter, then yes, your PSU probably couldn't handle it. But if it was the former, it might just have been clocked too high and caused some kind of error. But then a bluescreen could also have just been from not enough juice.

Either way, I don't think I'd trust my system (especially when overclocking) to a 430W Thermaltake PSU. (IMO)

^thirded :p

Rivatuner has temp and speed monitoring as well, the icon which looks like a magnifying glass over an IC will open that for you.

yeah, thanks..

i actually started using rivatuner wen i posted this... but iv now figured, the crash was caused by opening ntune's nvidia monitor

without using that temp monitor, iv gotten it to 630/740 at a breeze - thinking of going a little higher

(the crash just shut the computer off, black screen, power off)

Back