• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

now its gone too far

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shuruga2

for about a week now explorer.exe has been restarting itself pretty randomly. it will happen when i open a new windows explorer or new IE window, and occasionally when i right click. this wasnt too big a deal since everything else stayed running, just a little irratating. then last night i was working on something in word when it happened and the file just dissapeared after a crash. completely gone, no traces, no recovery in word.

what i've done:
full virus scan
spyware scan; adaware and spybot
pq magic error detection, all drives

everything came up clean.
temps: ambient 22, cpu 36 C (yes this is current and it isnt happeneing right now, but i've been paying atention and cpu has never gone over 40 C) (this chip is UNDERCLOCKED, my old mobo & ram cant handle much more than 12.5x142, so i've been running it at 12.5x133 1.65V)

is there something i've overlooked?

Ian Cody said:
If you dont want to reformat, you could try a repair install

I agree, but don't get your hopes up. My Mom is notorious for destroying her Windows XP Pro install. How the women can bring her OS to it's knees in only a couple of months is beyond me.

Anyway, the restore or repair install options have saved me time with her machine about 50% of the time.

Wedo

Wedo said:
I agree, but don't get your hopes up. My Mom is notorious for destroying her Windows XP Pro install. How the women can bring her OS to it's knees in only a couple of months is beyond me.

Hey, my mom doesn't even know how to turn a pc on. :) But anyway, I'd just go for a format/reinstall too. I haven't used the repair install option, so I don't know a lot about it.

edit: accidentally hit enter to submit without actually saying anything after the quote. doh.

Wedo said:

Anyway, the restore or repair install options have saved me time with her machine about 50% of the time.

Wedo

Man... my wife has the same knack. I've solved the problem by not granting her permissions to install ANYTHING on her own machine. I'm not saying that she won't figure out a way to hose things, but this has seemed to help.

Back