• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NV18 | NV28 Soon!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-Master

Well, I wont say much but all you guys need to know is this,

NV18 is the GeForce4 MX 480

325MHz GPU
650MHz DDR-Ram
AGP8X

NV28 is just a supped up GeForce4 Ti (GeForce4 TI 4800)

325MHz GPU
750MHz DDR-Ram
AGP8X

These are nVidia's AGP8X solutions which will fill the gap between now and Christmas which is when NV30 appears. Dont ask where I got this info from thou bacause I aint telling. Take it with a grain of salt if you wish, but I feel most people will agree with these specs.

DS-Master

-blink- *cough cough*

:rolleyes:

Edit: Perhaps you'd get a whole lot closer to being a senior member if you started posting where you get some of this.... .....information.

However after doing some searching of my own I came across this (scroll down a bit).

Tac

Last edited:
Thanks Tactics,

OK, I got this news from a few news group posting that I came upon and read a week ago.

I also took it with a grain of salt untill I read up on how John Carmack used an enhanced version of GeForce4 Ti which had AGP8X on it.

So I'm taking it, 4800 is the AGP8X model. Same goes for value with MX 480!

DS-Master

I am kinda curious how their going to turn a 4x into an 8x.... But I guess thats why I don't work for Nvidia.

Tac

I'd just like to know how they are going to push a 0.15u core to 325mhz... after all wasnt the Ti 4600 supposed to be at 325mhz but due to problems they lowered it down to 300mhz and look at how little the Ti 4600 overclocks already. IF it is possible to get the core that fast I cant wait to see the HSF on that card... the GF4 Ti series cards already have a heatsink that covers half of the card or more.... looks like vid cards HSFs are going to rival CPU HSFs on the dBa meter.

4600s struggle to overclock? I only turn mine down from 340 when not benching coz i aint got the proper cooling...

Well most people cant overclock them very much or if they do then they dont see much if any improvement, or they get lower scores then they did at default speeds.

people who cant OC their Ti 4600s past 310 or so

Someone else who cant OC their Ti4600 past 310

someone who cant OC the core and can only get 50mhz on the RAM

I could find more but im bored of looking now, perhaps some cards can OC well but I see many ppl complaining that they cant OC their Ti 4600s.... oh yeah I even found a post from the admiral saying that he runs his card at only 310/680, not 340 (here)

even the overclockers.com 3D mark team website only has one entry for a core speed above 325mhz ( link)

and here is a quote from xbitlabs.com about the overclocking capabilities of the Ti 4600 (article here):

Well, the results of extreme overclocking of VisionTek Xtasy GeForce4 Ti4600 can hardly be called outstanding.

The reason is that the nominal frequencies of the graphics chip and memory are close to the top frequencies, which are determined by the chips architecture and manufacturing technology. It's no use even to hope for a good overclocking potential in such circumstances.

That was after adding a new HSF and voltmodding the GF4 Ti4600 to push it to its extreme limits. they also found that the Ti 4400 core OC'd to the exact same speed as the Ti 4600 core (no suprise since its the same core).

I thought AGP 8x had a different number of agp pins. Kinda like AGP to AGP 2x

Tac

DaddyB said:
I'd just like to know how they are going to push a 0.15u core to 325mhz... after all wasnt the Ti 4600 supposed to be at 325mhz but due to problems they lowered it down to 300mhz and look at how little the Ti 4600 overclocks already. IF it is possible to get the core that fast I cant wait to see the HSF on that card... the GF4 Ti series cards already have a heatsink that covers half of the card or more.... looks like vid cards HSFs are going to rival CPU HSFs on the dBa meter.

Stock cooling for me..ti4600 @325/735. Im sure you will find many more with similar results or better.

GF4 mx sucks why the hell would anyone want that over a cheaper GF3 Ti200?

if you know how to vmod graphics cards you shouldnt get a nv28 either cause you would be able to do just as high with a 4600.

i want the nv30 sooooooooo bad!

It still won't be as fast as a R300... and plus the G4 at 325/750 isn't a huge increase either.. ATI will rule till next year..

Emericana said:
GF4 mx sucks why the hell would anyone want that over a cheaper GF3 Ti200?

if you know how to vmod graphics cards you shouldnt get a nv28 either cause you would be able to do just as high with a 4600.

i want the nv30 sooooooooo bad!
I belive this new Mx 480 actualy supports DX 8.1..I belive this is Also teh core that AXIA (whats his new name?) post awhile back...

I believe you guys are missing the point...AGP 4x -> AGP 8x

Thats a huge performance increase.

Tac

Tactics said:
I believe you guys are missing the point...AGP 4x -> AGP 8x

Thats a huge performance increase.

Tac

5% is huge?? come on.. Remember PCI to AGP. AGP to AGP2x.
AGP2X to AGP 4X... History tells us a lot.. and AGP 8X isn't something to start drooling over...

edited by cw823 - still a G rated forum here guys, let's keep it that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
A increase in bandwidth is pretty big because thats where the biggest bottle neck is (IMHO).

Besides 4x66 to 8x66 is a bit more than 5%.

However your right, Its not worth "ejackulating" over untill there are some actual real reviews but it is still nice to drool over speculation.

Tac

edit: removed the C word, and replaced with scientific meaning.

Last edited:
when overclocker456 said a 5% increase he was talking about overall performance of the card not a 5% increase in theoretical bandwidth. AGP 8x will not offer very much of an improvement over 4x, if you doubt that then try to run 3D Mark and some of your favorite games in AGP 2x mode and you will not see any difference (well maybe a couple of points in 3DM).

I have seen benches os the sis xabre in agp 4x and agp 8x and there was basically no difference at all in FPS or 3DM scores. saying AGP 8x will be 5% faster then AGP 4x is generous, the actual % may well be even lower then that.

EDIT: BTW you might want to edit out that "C" word from your post since i see it was removed by a mod from overclockers post.

DaddyB said:
when overclocker456 said a 5% increase he was talking about overall performance of the card not a 5% increase in theoretical bandwidth. AGP 8x will not offer very much of an improvement over 4x, if you doubt that then try to run 3D Mark and some of your favorite games in AGP 2x mode and you will not see any difference (well maybe a couple of points in 3DM).

I have seen benches os the sis xabre in agp 4x and agp 8x and there was basically no difference at all in FPS or 3DM scores. saying AGP 8x will be 5% faster then AGP 4x is generous, the actual % may well be even lower then that.

EDIT: BTW you might want to edit out that "C" word from your post since i see it was removed by a mod from overclockers post.

.....In my original post I was talking about bandwidth, perhaps I wasn't clear enough. Anyways.

2x2 = 4, 4x2= 8, 8x2= 16

Exponential growth. If you see a 5% gain from 2x to 4x (in my case its around 6%) you will see more from 4x-> 8x

[SPECULATION]
I really think the bottle neck of the cards was the agp 4x. (because my actual agp slot gets hotter than satan arse in a cardboard box.) From an overclockers point of view I should be able to get some serious Mhz out of the GPU now with 8x.
[/speculation]

Like I said though just speculation... I won't be buying a nv28 when an nv30 is due out eventually. Perhaps the nv28 is just a marketing ploy?

Tac

5% seems about right. IMHO, we won't see much improvement until 3GIO, with a max. theoretical bandwidth of 32GB/s and Serial AGP with 20GB/s.

Back