• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ Memory help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grand_Mufti

I just got up enough money to buy myself some nice memory. I have about 230 bucks to spend. I hear everyone talking about the OCZ value vx but newegg doesn't list it that way. I can't seem to find it on their site. I have this link here... Is this the stuff?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-227-204&depa=1

If not what is? Lead me to some good OCZ ram if this isn't the right stuff. Thanks.

*Edit* Oh and if you guys know some other great ram for cheaper that would be awesome. I wouldn't mind picking up a new power supply too.

I take it you are in the market for some UTT chips then? Have you looked at the TwinMOS pack from newegg for $104? They are not guaranteed UTT but lots of people seem to be having good results with them and they are dirt cheap.

Here is the link to them.

Ad Rock said:
I take it you are in the market for some UTT chips then? Have you looked at the TwinMOS pack from newegg for $104? They are not guaranteed UTT but lots of people seem to be having good results with them and they are dirt cheap.

Here is the link to them.

IMPORTANT!

The latest batch of this ram is shipping non-UTT. There have been reports on at least two forums where guys have gotten non UTT modules (the AADT with Powerchip ICs) from newegg.

Are you aware that for UTT based ram, like the stuff linked above and the OCX Value VX, to shine you need high voltage? Unless you have the capabilities (and intent) of giving your ram 3.4v and beyond, do not buy UTT for performance use. By the way, the OCZ "Value VX" is listed like any other of their value ram, but has a "K" at or near the end of the product code which denotes Winbond UTT chips are used in the modules.

For general and high performance use, without high voltage requirement, any of the Samsung "TCCD" based ram would be a great choice. These are more expensive however, although some is available right around the high end of your stated budget.

If you are needing a new power supply, as well as ram, you might consider going with any of the value ram from the top tier brands, and picking up a PSU, which you should be able to do for that $230 instead of spending it all on ram and having a weak PSU powering the rest of your system. A gig of good value ram is selling at very reasonable prices these days ($100-$140, maybe a little more). UTT based ram, like the poster linked above, is also fine for normal use but it just won't run at super tight timings unless you feed it the voltage. TwinMOS, Mushkin, OCZ, and others have well priced ram that would work nicely at moderate timings.

Due to falling prices and available choices, this is a great time to be buying ram.

I have a DFI LANPARTY NFII ULTRA B. From what i've heard this board can feed the ram all the juice it needs. I will look around at value ram but I have no idea which is TCCD or UTT. I'm not looking to clock too high though. I'm looking to go at least 400 fsb which any pc3200 can do right? I might try to do 220-250 fsb once I learn how to and depending on how far my air setup will let me go. Could you give me some examples of some good value ram that might overclock well?

Actually...these are the ones you want...

PC4000 VX...total 234.88...worth the extra 4.00...

These run at 8-2-2-2 at 3.2v at DDR500 and can run up to 270 or so with 2-2-2 timings with up to 3.5v without voiding the lifetime warranty...

When OCZ gets more back in stock...these are what my 3200 VX's where RMAed for...

Both of them are poke and hope memory...if going with some good memory...get some that are stated to run at 250+...

Either the PC4000 VX's or G. SKill LE/LC's...

People are find out why they are only 130.00 or so...1 out of maybe 10 of the mushkins will do 250+...and even then not for long with the high voltage they need...and PQI...its just like the Mushkin...

When spending less for something other then OCZ or SKill...you definetly get what you pay for...

The man said he needs a PSU as well. He has not yet said what he has or why he feels he needs one, however, this comment should not be overlooked.

I'm not saying not to buy good ram (I've spent my fair share and then some on top shelf stuff, in addition to the budget shelf stuff that I regularly like to "dabble" (gamble?) with, but if he is going to be trying to give VX or similar ram upwards of 3.4v-3.6v should he not give a little bit of attention to the source of all those volts?

Just a thought.

Yea I have a POWERLAB power supply. I have never heard of this company. It supplies 420 watts, which is enough, but I think I should get a PSU that is of higher quality. I am also looking at these TwinMos chips here...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-218-062&depa=1

Also I thought I heard something about the speed premium... these..

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-218-405&depa=1

But I hear that's a hit and miss too. Another guy on the forum just got his today and found them to be UTT chips... Either way I know these will do at least the 200 mhz they are rated at. I can at least pull the full advertised potential out of my board... which is my first and primary goal. All for 103 bucks plus shipping... lemme know what you think. Also I'd like to know if you can point me in the direction of a good power supply. Thanks.

Last edited:
glock19owner said:
When spending less for something other then OCZ or SKill...you definetly get what you pay for...

so i'm guessing you're saying that my memory is crap :rolleyes:

How bought OCZ PC-3200 Revision 2? They are like 245but there TCCD, mine will be here tommrow.

Spion said:
so i'm guessing you're saying that my memory is crap :rolleyes:

Did I stated that...no... :rolleyes:

But I have ran memory from value ram to memory that is over 300.00...and to me...the extra money was well worth the problems and headaches most value ram gives...

I am the type of person that will state...your ram is crap...not hint around...

As for the PSU...I did miss that...but at the same time I am running a crap generic PSU right now with a booster...I am not worried about the power going to the DIMMS because of the booster...now the other componets is another question...

Once I get the new VX's (finally got my tracking email...they will be here Thursday)...I personally, will worry about a new PSU then...

Here is the deal...

Ok. Basically I need some good OC ram. Doesn't matter who makes it. I need to find something between 100 and 200 dollars if i'm wishing to get a new PSU. Is there anything you guys can think of that would be in the middle somewhere. I see 2 people who just received their TwinMos today and both OC to 260+. Is it worth the risk? Worst case scenario i'll have to RMA. But how much does it cost to ship memory back to newegg. I remember trying to RMA a motherboard not too long ago and it costing 38 freaking dollars. If i'm going to run into another one of those RMA issues, i'm just going to splurge on OCZ. I don't want to deal with that crap. If i'm going to get the OCZ you had mentioned, why not spend a little more and get the OCZ platinum? Let me know what you guys would do. Thanks.

Get some BH-5 or, look at that link i gave you of TCCD chips. See if any of those are in your $ range.

Well guys... I went cheap. I went ahead and bought the TwinMos ddr. I figure the 13 dollars it costs to send them back is worth the chance to save 125 bucks. If not, i'll go ahead and get the OCZ. Well worth it IMO.

Ok... I cancelled my TwinMos order. It seriously kept me up half the night. I guess i'm not ok with the UTT gamble. How about some TCCD? I don't know the difference between the UTT and TCCD except that the UTT likes volts and the TCCD not so much. I saw these in another thread. They are TCCD chips and cheap! Check them out for me please. Thanks!

http://store.yahoo.com/directron/khx3200ulk21g.html

Here is a Newegg link to the same memory, in case you guys prefer the Newegg format. I won't buy it from newegg since... well the price.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-144-161&depa=1

The only thing left to decide is TCCD or UTT. My goal is to reach 250mhz and I know that TCCD is rated at least to 250, and of course i've already seen the UTT reach beyond 250. I've even heard of TCCD hitting 300? Anyway which do you guys prefer?

If this isn't the stuff.... OCZ VX it is... :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head all this trouble could have been avoided.

:bang head

Last edited:
All right I went with the Hyper X. It's at a great price and it's TCCD... sweet. Thanks for all the help.

Back