• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ vdimm booster and me!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SeanOMatic said:
Sorry, but we mean the 3rd slot, the one closes to the edge of the board. You have to use it, as installing in DIMM 1 or DIMM 2 would block off the other Dimm Slot. Using it in 3 will not block 1 and 2, but using it in slot 2 would block slot 3 and make slot 2 unusable.

Mkay. I read on Xtremesystems that you put it in the one closest to the CPU.

What interferes when you put it in slot 1? On the NF7 the short side of the dimm slot is below the notch. That would put the booster with the screen, potentiometer, and heatsinks facing towards the CPU, correct? Would the capasitors on the motherboard get in the way when the booster is mounted in slot 1?

ZachM said:
Mkay. I read on Xtremesystems that you put it in the one closest to the CPU.

What interferes when you put it in slot 1? On the NF7 the short side of the dimm slot is below the notch. That would put the booster with the screen, potentiometer, and heatsinks facing towards the CPU, correct? Would the capasitors on the motherboard get in the way when the booster is mounted in slot 1?

ok...we need this cleared up!!
the Abit NF7s mobo dimm slots are #'d:

1 2 .. 3
1 2 .. 3
1 2 .. 3
1 2 .. 3
- - .. -
1 2 .. 3
1 2 .. 3

the "short" 1/2 of the stick down.
CPU to the left, edge of mobo right.

from the pics, "short side down" would force the screen, potentiometer, and heatsinks facing left (towards the CPU)

i dont have mine (yet) but looking @ pics, id GUESS it could go in 1 or 3

SeanOMatic said:
Sorry, but we mean the 3rd slot, the one closes to the edge of the board. You have to use it, as installing in DIMM 1 or DIMM 2 would block off the other Dimm Slot. Using it in 3 will not block 1 and 2, but using it in slot 2 would block slot 3 and make slot 2 unusable.

ya...
we mean the 3rd slot, the one closes to the edge of the board.
to me, this points to #3

You have to use it, as installing in DIMM 1 or DIMM 2 would block off the other Dimm Slot.
this isnt so, as putting it in #1 wouldnt block anything

using it in slot 2 would block slot 3 and make slot 2 unusable.
ummm this is where i loose it. i can see putting it in slot #2 would block slot #1 (not 3) and this would make 2 and 1 "unusable".

@ this point, im GUESSING #3...
the one closes to the edge of the board.
websight says #3

now for the facts pointing towards #1...

for dual channel use: 1&3 or 2&3.
now i KNOW ive read that dual channel will still work while using the booster...so THAT points me to #1... :confused:

Welp fellas.....I like it! You were right mrspec3 cas2 is a total no-go.

I am able to get my OCZ 3700EB to 2.5-2-2-5 @ 250fsb with "turbo" enabled @ 3.5v. This was impossible even with my 50k pot v-dimm mod @ 3.28v, which was max for that mod.

I can't figure out why I am not at 6000mbs on sandra at 250fsb....I see others do it all day long but I can't seem to get there.

Here is a screenie...
(gonna try my "gig-O-BH5" next)

Attachments

• mem booster 250.JPG
    mem booster 250.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 150
I found why it isn't able to fit in slot 1 on an NF7.

andyOCZ said:
EQuito is correct. The dimm slot closest to the CPU is #1 and 3 is closest to the edge on the ABIT NF2 boards. The issue is that there is a capicitor on the NF7-S that is right next to the #1 DIMM slot. There are three, but the problem one is the capacitor that is closest to the AGP slot. This will stop the booster from seating with a heatsink attached to the mosfets on the unit. You MIGHT be able to get the cap out of the way by removing it and making longer leads but of course we do not recommend that. You also might be able to modify the heatsink arrangement to make the booster fit. This would be best.

I was right in thinking the caps next to slot 1 would interfere with it. Hopefully the heatsinks can be switched around to provide clearance. That has revived my faith in this product. I wasn't even going to mess with it if I couldn't use dual channel.

ZachM said:
I found why it isn't able to fit in slot 1 on an NF7.

I was right in thinking the caps next to slot 1 would interfere with it. Hopefully the heatsinks can be switched around to provide clearance. That has revived my faith in this product. I wasn't even going to mess with it if I couldn't use dual channel.

well, the UPS man just came by (on his way back) and dropped me a booster (or 2 hehe)!!! here's one to MY UPS driver :beer:

ok the HS's are just "taped" on...they came off easy :) now to try to get them to fit...

wish me luck...

edit: ZachM, know if ANYONE has put this thing in #1 with a NF7-s? got a link to that thread your quoting from?

Thread.

I remember someone saying on XS that they fit the booster in slot 1 with no mods. I can't find it though. :bang head Hopefully all you'll have to do to get it to fit is clearance the heatsink with a Dremel. Joe, you could help out by posting some pics. Take the heatsink that interferes off, and stick the booster in the slot. Then we can see how much the heatsink needs to be clearanced. Hopefully it's just a little. That way it doesn't effect the cooling.

sorry, digicam is @work :(

ive dremeled off 1/2 of the last fin of the HS and repositioned all the HSs (3) on the MOSFETS (4) so it fits.

i had my mem in slots 1&3. i moved them to 2&3...so now, of coarse, my rig is throwing a hissy-fit and not booting @ same settings...(13x223 @ 2.1V (cpu), 2,3,2,11 2.9V (mem) )

i need to find max stable OC (again) b4 i put in the booster :temper:

as soon as i get things working ill start a new "OCZ Booster, NF7-s & me" thread...would it be fun if it was easy? :beer:

EDIT: need to update my sig...Prometeia Mach II ;) one of Trat's D10 BIOS...

Edit2: back up and priming @ above settings...

Edit3: installing Booster...

Last edited:
Well good to know it's not too hard to get to fit. Did you put the sinks back on with thermal epoxy?

whelp, i cant get it to work :(...

ive tried booster in 1, mem in 2&3...nope
ive tried booster in 1, mem in 3.......nope
ive tried booster in 1, mem in 2.......nope
ive tried booster in 3, mem in 1......nope (knob wont clear the stick in #2)

(the way i had the HS's set to clear in 1 had to be redone to clear in 3)

ok so here is what happens; when the booster is plugged in (1 OR 3) and the PSU is on (red mobo light is on showing all is ok...) my "PC on" light and CD rom light are also on (much dimmer than normal) without the PC actually on...then when the Prommy hits -33 and the PC should go on...NOTHING! No fans no beeps nothing. only thing that changes is the "PC on" and CDrom light go off. (about 3 sec after PC should start booting)

ive unhooked the booster and everything boots and runs fine. ive left the booster's power cabels pluged in WITHOUT the booster plugged into a DIMM and PC boots and runns (booster's readout works and knob adjusts readout)

so...any thoughts? :eh?:

Big Deel said:
Hold down the power button for 5 seconds,then let go....then it will turn on.Mine does the same thing

that turns off the prommy...

but ive plugged the prommy into another PSU and that worked!! after the lights went off and i hit the power button again, its up and running!!

THANKS!!:toast:

Here is a shot of my mem booster in action....yep, thats a 120mm fan! :cool:

Attachments

• DSCF0150.JPG
    DSCF0150.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 125
krag, do you use MBM?

the volt meter named "core 1" seems to be the mem V.

what does your core1 read and what do you have the booster set to?

mine: booster = 2.8v , core1 = 3.31v (load: 3.1v - 2.96v)

without the booster i got: BIOS = 2.9 v , core1 = 2.96v

Last edited:
Joe Camel,

So in the end, were you able to get it to work in any of the other slots, or did you just go back to DIMM #3?

Back