• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oh Boy....Did I do something wrong??? replacing MSI mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

App

I have replaced my MSI K7T Pro (KT 133) mobo by the new K7T Turbo (KT 133A). The computer will not start up at all!!!!!! I've checked all the connectors, the jumper for 'clear CMOS' is in the correct position (Have cleared my CMOS in OFF position several times) , my TBird 1000, cooler, etc is installed correctly. I've disconnected my soundblaster, no result at all. Have tried both 100/133 jumper settings. Even the diagnostic LED's do not light up like the mobo is not getting any power. What did I do wrong or is the mobo (BIOS chip??) defect?? Any advise??? Thanks!

FSB too high

App (Feb 17, 2001 11:22 a.m.):
I have replaced my MSI K7T Pro (KT 133) mobo by the new K7T Turbo (KT 133A). The computer will not start up at all!!!!!! I've checked all the connectors, the jumper for 'clear CMOS' is in the correct position (Have cleared my CMOS in OFF position several times) , my TBird 1000, cooler, etc is installed correctly. I've disconnected my soundblaster, no result at all. Have tried both 100/133 jumper settings. Even the diagnostic LED's do not light up like the mobo is not getting any power. What did I do wrong or is the mobo (BIOS chip??) defect?? Any advise??? Thanks!

I'm not a pro on the new stuff around, but what I know is that your new mobo is a 133MHz FSB one (standard speed, so CMOS clear won't do the trick). I think your old Tbird is not able to cope with that speed, so your mobo won't start at all. The solutionwould be that you lowered your FSB to 100MHz by means of jumper settings, or that you buy a new Tbird, but you might want to try the first one before you run out to the stores. Maybe with some good OC'ing you get your Tbird to 133 FSB, if you are unlucky with an lower multiplyer, but it works.

Good news for you is nothings broken. Good luck with the good stuff!

correction Didn't see you tried so already. When you plug in your PSU, does it charge itself (i.e. your fans turn for 2 sec. and led's light up)? If heard something about mobo's which need an additional power plug on tomshardware, are you SURE you don't such thing? That would require a new PSU.

Tell me how you're going, but DON'T tell me you left the power plug out!!!

Make sure your AGP card is fully inserted. I've had similar problems to yours, and thought for sure the motherboard was bad. The Video card was just ever so slightly askew. Remove it, and reinstall it.

Also, make sure the keyboard connection isn't grounding on the outside of the case. Sometimes, when installing a new motherboard people have the tin faceplate impinging on the PS/2 - USB ports. Which can result in a no-boot.

Move the RAM to another slot.

Ensure there are no loose screws between the motherboard and case. Metal to metal contact will certainly ground out the motherboard and result in a no-boot.

Lastly, make certain the CPU fan is plugged into the appropriately marked CPU fan header. Some motherboards have a specific requirement that the CPU fan is plugged into the marked spot. Otherwise they will "no-boot."

Thanks guys for your hints.
I just reinstalled my board. Checked all connections again, also I paid special attention to the installation of my video card, checked for loose any loose screws, connected my FOP 38 directly to the connector on the board, cleared the CMOS (Yeah, I put the jumper in the right position afterwards) Checked the clips on the support plate for the outlets, put the 100/133 jumper on 100, have put the 256 mb Mushkin memory in another slot, connected the power cord (thanks for reminding me, but I did not forget this also during previous trials) and have tried to start the computer......

Again.....nothing!!!!! No LEDS lighting up, no two seconds charge, nothing is happening!!!!!!!!

The only thing I discovered that , although I ordered and paid for a 300 W Power Supply, a 250 W version (AOpen) is installed (Be sure that I will have a word about this with the supplier) . Could this be the reason for my problem?? Could it be that the new KT 133A mobo consumes more power than my previous K7T Pro?? just going over the edge of what my power supply unit is capable to handle?

I have quit some fans (5), a 12 speed CDRW, a 72x CDRom, Soundblaster Live Platinum, a TBird 1000, a FOP 38 running on the 250 W power supply.

Maybe this is the problem or the mobo is a defective one. I will post the outcome after going back to the shop tomorrow.

Well....I went back to the shop today. They have tried several processors, PSU's, memory............nothing....
Then they tried another K7T Turbo..........same results.......nothing.

They told me they hadn't enough experience with this new board and were surprised. They thought they caught a bad batch of MSI. Have to wait for a new batch now.....we will see...

I have this board and initially had the same problem BUT ... noticed the CLEAR BIOS JUMPER diagram in the manual is reversed from what is actually on the motherboard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look closely for the PIN 1 label "1" .

Bottomline, the fix is to move the jumper into the other position covering pins 1-2 .

My M/B came with the jumper in the right place, but I always check jumpers before the 1st boot and noticed it was in the CLEARED position (so I thought !!!) - wrong !!!

Hinge out

I thought about the CMOS clear jumper as well and tried both positions, without any results. Surely the figures in the manual could be confusing, but we checked this.

Meanwhile I got a new K7T Turbo board and after loading the latest OC BIOS (10F), it's running stable and fine.

Thanks all for your hints!

Yep, my new K7T Turbo is running well. Just installed my new TBird 1200 (12 x 100) to burn it in and will install a watercooling kit, a fan on the northbridge and a new 550 W PSU today and tomorrow. After that I will see what I can squeeze out of it. Will post my results.

So your cpu was fried I take it? What about your friends that you said you swapped with? Or did you just swap out the entire motherboard?
Just curious, ive been looking at the MSI, but after a search on this board it seems it takes a bit of effort to get some of them going.
Also, did you get the updated bios for overclocking, or did you have to flash the new updated bios in?
Thanks
AKDUDE

No, I got a complete new motherboard from my supplier. After installing that one, my computer started up. The original BIOS could not handle the multiplier settings that well, so I downloaded the OC BIOS version 10F from the MSI BIOS update site and flashed my BIOS with this 10F version. Now it's stable and I'm able to slect multplier settings in the range 5.5 - 12.5x and voltage settings from 1.35 - 1.85 V.
Also I was satisfied with the stabillity of my previous MSI K7T Pro, but the BIOS for this one had no multiplier adjustment feature and was a KT 133 - 100 FSB, so not the ideal board for easy overclocking.

Back