• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OK can some water cooling ppl help me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AcidBath

Registered
i have a MSI k7 Pro 2-A tbird 1.2 ghz and iam switching to water cooling and i was wondering about pelts. Do i really need 1 or two. i mean what temperature
significance would i get w/one

ps here is all the equipment im getting

$42 MAZE 2
$55 Cooling Copper Cube Raditator -- I really need an ok that this is a good radiator
$5.5 1- 1/16" 1/8" and 1/4" Neoprene Sheets
$5 Water Wetter 4oz
$8 Artic Silver II
$15 YS Tech 128mm fan pulls 131 cfm
$53 Eheim 1048 Pump

AcidBath (Apr 17, 2001 05:10 p.m.):
i have a MSI k7 Pro 2-A tbird 1.2 ghz and iam switching to water cooling and i was wondering about pelts. Do i really need 1 or two. i mean what temperature
significance would i get w/one

ps here is all the equipment im getting

$42 MAZE 2
$55 Cooling Copper Cube Raditator -- I really need an ok that this is a good radiator
$5.5 1- 1/16" 1/8" and 1/4" Neoprene Sheets
$5 Water Wetter 4oz
$8 Artic Silver II
$15 YS Tech 128mm fan pulls 131 cfm
$53 Eheim 1048 Pump

Definately a good radiator. I don't know about the TECs, though with a Tbird you need a higher powered one, and that means that you need a separate PSU for it. Of course, you could also set a TEC up to chill the water, and that might actually be a good idea. One that I might try sometime...

your 1.2 puts out about 85 watts once o/c to around the 1500- mark. you would need at least a 115 watt peltier to do any good. the 85 watts cpu+the 115 watts peltier=200 watts. The single rad you have disipates about 100 watts, you need another radiator or a bigger one in order to dissipate the 200 watts or else you will overload the peltier and it will just insulate the processor and get it even hotter! you can peltier cool the water reservior (chiller)- but you will still be faced with having to dissipate the total amount of heat, there is also condensation proofing needed with whichever route you take. Also, you WILL need a seperate power supply for the tec alone, a 450 watt psu pushes 18A@12V. consider the fact that the peltier will take 15 of those, that leaves 3 amps for your whole system, you harddrive spinup alone takes 2-3 amps!!!

WARNING.

If you dig thru the main page here you can find lots of info on watercooling and peltiers, but in just in case I want to stretch the point that to cool a Tbird 1200 at overclocked speeds you need very big peltier. I am confident to tell you that anything less than 150w unit will be a COMPLETE waste of time and effort. To get your temps down you need 180+ peltier of good quality. Therefore you also need big radiator, like a heater core from a car or similar. Dont start buying, read around and try to find successful peltier setups for Tbirds on the web (one on the front page at least) these birds are hard to cool down.

Hope your project goes well.

yeah i know its been week of reasearch so far for it. A K7 1.2 puts out 81 watts w/a core voltage of 1.85

If you don't need the system to be portable the best solution might be to skip the pelt altogether and just go with chilled water through a block. Thats what I am running now, read my sig and this cpu will not even post anything over 1350 at room temp.

Back