• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Only 4 pins on PSU, need 8 pins to connect to motherboard :eek:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UncleGrandpa

Registered
Hey everyone, hope you're well. So my computer had been acting up for a while, on and off but the other day it stopped working completely. So I got a hold of a 600W PSU. It's a generic one, so I won't keep it running this PC for long but I do want to try it out to make sure it's really my PSU that's faulty and not a different component.

Anyway, I found 2 sellers who were selling different adapters for this 4 pin PSU.

One of them is a "4 to 8 pin adapter" and the other one is a "2 molex to 8 pin" adapter. Are these equivalent or is one preferable to the other?

Thanks for any input!

When you say 'it stopped working completely', do you mean it won't power up at all? No MB splash screen, no availability for BIOS? Or it just won't boot to the OS?

As to the PSU, you can connect an open Molex to a MB adapter being sure to match up pin for pin. Need to know the make/model of the generic so as to get an idea where you're heading with this. Have you checked to be sure all your connections currently in place are still firmly in place?

Hi Robert, thanks for replying! When I say the system doesn't power up I mean it's like no electricity gets to it. Nothing turns on, no leds or fans, or mobo. Not even the 2 fans I have connected directly to the PSU (Seasonic G series).

The new PSU brand is called Noganet. The person who sold it to me was using it in a pretty nice system so I figured it would be safe to just use it to test, but it isn't a well-known brand. I do have a Focus but it's kind of a long story. My dad has it and we'll be seeing each other but not in the next few weeks so I want to use this other PSU meanwhile.

Is this adapter alright?

2 molex and 8 pins:

Screenshot 2019-04-12 at 8.38.03 PM.png

Last edited:
Looks o.k. to me. Fire it up and post back if you get power. Sometimes your cabling can come loose at the PSU (I note that you have a modular Seasonic), sometimes a PSU gives out. Lots of stuff can bugger up.

So basically, the guys are saying 'junk PSU, junk adapter' for testing, better go all in on good parts to test the theory. Maybe check to see if the cat managed to flip your PSU's power switch first, before investing in good equipment. If you find you want to upgrade a blown PSU, might as well check out a good modular unit if that is ultimately your problem.

Back