• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

open case -> more or less dust?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm running my case open at the moment, and have been for a while. It hasn't affected dust too much, probably about the same as I don't have filters on ALL of my intakes. FWIW, I don't think it will be much worse than what you're currently using, and canned air is cheap.

im cheaper than canned air >_>

oh well, i decided to put a fan on the door, so
i guess im going closed case then.

Filter the back side of the fans so you don't block the LEDs. The stocking trick works fine. If you're fine with cracking the case, you can even flip the 200 over and have that as in intake to get nice positive pressure as the filters will drop some airflow. I like a closed case just because it's more quiet.

T.

Adding some sort of filter to your intake fans is always a good idea especially if you have pets. I have hard wood floors in my house and after a week I can see the little cat hair tumbling around and that is the same stuff that gets into computer cases and thus causes more heat. I can't imagine having pets w/ carpet... at least w/ hard wood I can see the crap flying around... carpet just holds onto it. Keep your room well dusted/vacumed and you are helping your case stay cool.

Adding some sort of filter to your intake fans is always a good idea especially if you have pets. I have hard wood floors in my house and after a week I can see the little cat hair tumbling around and that is the same stuff that gets into computer cases and thus causes more heat. I can't imagine having pets w/ carpet... at least w/ hard wood I can see the crap flying around... carpet just holds onto it. Keep your room well dusted/vacumed and you are helping your case stay cool.

True... I pulled a 3' hair out of my Antec last weekend while cleaning. (Mine, I'm afraid) But if you don't have pets or long hair, an electric leaf blower cleans out the case spotless in about 10 seconds.

But if you don't have pets or long hair, an electric leaf blower cleans out the case spotless in about 10 seconds.

There's something I haven't tried yet. I just upgraded my rig and used my same old Antec ATX case. My wife was appalled by the amount of dust that was inside, and I was running with the side pannel off. I finally just took everything out and wiped the inside of the case down. The case sits under my desk so it does tend to attract dust.

Back