• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Operation Flashpoint

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batboy

Senior Moment
Dang, this game is really tough! I recently got the Game of the Year Edition and started playing the Resistance part. Should I have started out with Cold Wat Crisis instead? I like how the game is very realistic and I love the story line, but sheesh, it's so hard that it almost takes all the fun out of it. I mean, I like a challenge, but this is almost impossible. I'm even playing on the easiest setting. The tank battles are so frustrating and having to constantly collect weapons and ammo from the dead bodies is a pain. I'm all for hearing any hints or tips.

Flashpoint was designed to be very realistic.. It is tough but very fun. If you want more of a game style rather them sim style, try Battle Field 1942 with the very popular Desert Combat mod.

I GOTY edition and the Coldwar crisis/gold edition are pretty much the same thing.. just different patches that all end up doing the same thing.. once you have everything patched up to resistance then you got what everyone else does

Well, I decided to "cheat" a little. I found a walkthrough and although it don't help a lot, it did give me some ideas. For example, on the tank battle where I was stuck at, I tried 5 times to do what the walkthrough said, but was spanked everytime, even worse than my first 10 attempts... so, I changed my plan to where I took all my armour into the forest. I know this isn't what you'd normally do with tanks in real life, but that forced the enemy to separate instead of bunching up. This allowed m to take them out one at a time. I also got out of my tank a couple times and used RPG on a couple of the enemy tanks.

Think I'm finally getting the hang of this. You have to take your time and not rush things. It makes you think. If one tactic don't work, then try another. The map is huge, one level I took an hour drive through the whole country. LOL!

It also help when I finally learned the cheat to save my game anytime I wanted. Only being able to save once during a level really sucked.

Last edited:
I love the Helicopter flying engine.. it handles flawlessly with my joystick.... I can do snap flare turns for hot LZ pickups and of course.. fly 230+ mph at the alwyas entertaining altitude of 15 feet.. or 25 depending on trees :)

I can't fly the p[lanes worth crap though... only game where I suck at flying planes.. I;ll figure it out someday.

If you have problems with a walkthrough.. compare it to 1 or 2 more.. see what works for some may not work for others..

But as for your tactic of going through the woods, while unconventional, was entirely acceptable.

The only bad plan is the one that dosen't work.

Yes, the game is very tough, but its probably one of my favorite games of all time.

Just be patient and keep playing. It took me while to get a hang of everything.

Heres a hint for ya. You can save multiple times throughout the game.

"X" out of the game (dont close it out) hit alt+tab and then go into the saved game dir. (its like under user, campaigns, and saved games)

delete that file (make a back up first, believe me youll thank me later)

and then go back into the game and wala you get another save.

Any more questions, just ask. Good luck.

The learning curve was very steep on this game. I'm still learning stuff. I've been playing mindless 3D shooters lately, so this was quite a change. But, I'm really hooked now. I like how it's not linear, you can do anything you want as long as you accomplish the mission objectives. I also like how you can roam and explore anywhere you want on the island. However, sometimes trying to control your squad is like trying to herd cats though.

I'm 3/4 of the way through the Resistance Campaign now. Now that I'm getting the hang of the game, I can play a couple levels in an evening. In the counter-attack level where you had to ambush an armour column on the way to kick you out of the base you just captured, I got chewed up pretty bad. Was down to one other figher besides myself. We were both out of RPG's. I was so wounded that I could only crawl and there was one enemy tank rampaging around. I had to crawl from dead body to dead body until I finally found more RPG's. Once I took the tank out, then I had to crawl and hide from the helicopter gunships. Took forever to crawl to the end mission spot. Crazy. I could of replayed it I suppose, but I wanted to finish the level in my wounded state as a matter of pride.

yea its a fun game, you can do whatever you want pretty much.

VERY realistic as well.

They are coming out with OFP 3 (I think) its going to be taking place in the 70s-ish in the South Pacific... i.e. Vietnam

They (Codemasters) are also coming out with another game battlefield command, WWII game.

Ill be interested to see if they live up to OFP.

Back