• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Over Clocking *New to OC*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RoY.Tunbo

Registered
Okay so id like to start off with saying that I am new to trying to overclock. I have messed with it a bit and it just wont go. When I set the overclocking it goes to a blue screen and restarts the computer until I set the bios to default.
The parts that I have have been replaced for new parts so that I could overclock and unlock the 4th core. Here are my specs.

SPECS: ASRock 970 Pro 3 MOBO, AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor 3.20GHz, ZOTAC nVidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB DDR5 Memory, 750W Kentek PSU, 600GB HDD, 2x DVD Burners, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Please if any one could assist me with this problem that would be great. Just looking for a little more power and to unlock my 4th Core.

Thanx!!

I have messed with it a bit and it just wont go. When I set the overclocking it goes to a blue screen = What do you mean 'set the overclocking' ? Overclock wizard/genie in the bios or something else?

Roy, Welcome to OC Forums! RGone asked an important question. What method or methods did you try when you attempted to overclock? Did you use a software utility in Windows, an automatic overclocking "genie" in bios or did you attempt manipulate individual controls in bios? And if the latter, what things did you change?

Sorry for the delay, I have been super busy lately. Okay so the method that I tried was going through the BIOS on boot. That is when all of this happen, and thanx for the welcome to OC Forums Trent :)

Also have the programs that allow me to mess with the stuff and they are called... ASRock eXtreme Tuner, and AMD OverDrive

Last edited:
We would encourage you to stick with the manual overclocking controls in bios rather than resort to software as software seldom manipulates enough variables to give satisfactory results. If you have a digital camera and could take pics of the overclocking section of your bios it would greatly assist us in helping you. That way we could see what you see since every bios is different. That way we would not be confusing you by the use of generic bios control names.

You can attach pics by clicking on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window and then clicking on the little paperclip icons at the top of the Advanced post window which will load the file browser and upload tool. But first, crop and capture the images to disc with Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories.

If you can not make out with what the setting say, please let me know and I will see if I can either take new pictures or write down what they say to help you understand.

No, I can make it out okay but there is more to see in the OC Tweaker section at the bottom of the page. Scroll down more and take another pic. We don't need the pic of the Main tab.

Okay, the bios line items you will be concerned with are:
1. CPU frequency. To speed up the CPU you will be increasing this in small increments. This is the master frequency of the system and several other frequencies are tuned to it that, if they get too far from stock will cause instability. They have to be lowered at certain points to prevent his from happening.
2. The CPU voltage. This will have to be increased at certain points to keep the CPU stable. Don't pay any attention to the "Processor Maximum Voltage". You can safely exceed this in overclocking. The 1.4 is the upper end of the stock voltage range for these CPUs.
3. NB Frequency Multiplier. This is one of the frequencies that is tuned to the CPU frequency I spoke of earlier. Lower it to 8x to start with.
4. HT Bus Speed. Take it off of Auto and put it to 8x or 1600 mhz, however that is expressed. Also tuned to the CPU frequency.
5. DRAM Frequency. Lower it to start with to 1066 mhz. Also tuned to the CPU frequency.

Post back when you've done that and attach pics of CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD.

Okay I'm reporting back to you that I found everything you told me to switch except for "NB FREQUENCY" There for I had not changed any of the setting not knowing if it would be a good or bad out come. I've looked every where in the BIOS and didn't see anything for the NB FREQUENCY.

Not sure what you mean when you say you couldn't find the NB Frequency Multiplier. It's in the second picture you attached in post #6.

Attachments

• NBfreq.JPG
    NBfreq.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 254
By the way, take the OC Mode/Load Optomized CPU OC Setting off of 5%. That stuff at the top there should be disabled. It looks like an overclocking wizard of some kind and you want to do manual overclocking.

Okay found the NB FREQUENCY, What happen was when i took the pic you re-posted I had put it in SPU OC MODE from MANUAL and when I switched back it took it off. So with that said I got the pics of before and after but just read that you want me to take the 5% off. Would you like the pictures still of before and after or want just new onews with 5% off?

I went to DISABLE the 5% and it wouldn't let me it only had this following options listed on this picture provided. However the option to turn off the 5% goes off when i switch the CPU OC MODE to MANUAL but if I do that I dont get the NB FREQUENCY option.

download.jpg

Yes, please, I'd like to see the pics of the OC Tweaker tab again, just that top part with the 5% off.

Those overclock wizards don't manipulate enough variables to give both a high and stable overclock and you can't mix doing that with manual mode or you can't tell what you're doing.

I agree it's very confusing on this board, what would you recommend me to do at this point from what I had told you?

when i switch the CPU OC MODE to MANUAL but if I do that I dont get the NB FREQUENCY option. = The cheaper boards bios is just following AMD spec. If you do not have a BE type cpu in the socket then CPU/NB is to be hidden.

Back