• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Over Clocking *New to OC*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Good! HWMonitor labels your CPU socket temp as CPUTIN. No mystery there in trying to figure out which generic label is the CPU socket temp. Many times the CPU socket temp is hidden in a group of generically labeled temp readings that look like TMPINx.

The most critical temp to monitor is the core temp. The core temp sensor is located on the processor die itself. The CPU temp sensor is actually not on the processor but in the motherboard's CPU socket area. When core temps readings are obviously inaccurate (due to a poorly calibrated sensor) it's good to have the CPU socket temp to compare it to.

We know from experience that when core temps begin to exceed mid 50s c on AMD CPUs instability begins to set in. As you can see, you are right there already and this is usually the case when those stock coolers are in place. They just are not made to allow for overclocking as they barely cover the heat produced at stock frequencies and voltages. My strong suggestion is that you wait until you get your new CPU cooler before you try to overclock or you will just be frustrated.

What coolers are you looking at? This is an important decision. You want to get one that will give significant improvement over the stock cooler but still fit in your case. The width of the case is critical in this regard because the good tower-style coolers are tall and if you have a narrow case there won't be sufficient clearance to get the side panel on. How wide is you case across the top.

I need to run to the store real quick, when I get back we can pick back up where we left off. But I was looking at some on www.xoxide.com im not to sure what one to get. which one would you recommend?

Well to be honest I've been looking at the AMD FX 8150 since I got home, and I gotta say im probably gonna aim for that. It comes with the Heatsink with fan

Make sure your motherboard supports that CPU. Go to the ASRock product page for that board and check the CPU support list and make sure you have the correct bios version installed needed to support that CPU before you install it. Those CPUs are power-hungry, heat-stoking babies when overclocked. You will have the same issues with high temps if you try to overclock it on the cooler that it comes with.

Is this the case you have?: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2448886&CatId=3428

Yea it supports it. I've looked it up on the day I purchased my mobo and I believe on the mobo box it says it supports it. But I don't think i'll be getting it, its a bit pricey.

How ever here are my choices that I would like for Heatsink/fan
Zalman CNPS7X LED CPU Cooler
Antec KUHLER Shelf CPU Cooler
Antec KÜHLER Flow CPU Cooler
Enzotech Extreme-X 120 Forged Copper CPU Cooler

Any of those coolers you list would be a huge improvement over stock. That Enoztech one, the last on the list, get's the best rating.

Ok well im going to go ahead and purchase one tonigt because I take it as if I don't have a good/great one there would be no point in overclocking, Correct? Which one gets the 2nd best rating?

The others seem to be about a wash, judging by a quick glance at the user reviews. If there are any of them that don't require you to remove the motherboard to install them that would be something to consider. There was one of them that only had a 92mm fan. I would stick with those that have a 120mm fan because the radiators will be bigger. It was the Zalman I think.

The Zalaman has the 92mm fan and the Enzotech Extreme-X 120 Forged Copper CPU Cooler
has the 120. I will look for another one with a 120mm fan and if nothing then ill get the one you said had the best rating. I actually looked on new egg and found it cheaper but was SOLD out :(

Have you considered the Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo? It's very reasonably priced and a very popular and very good cooler. It's a known quantity that you couldn't go wrong with.

Hey thats pretty nice, think I might go ahead and order it. Like the way it sits on the Processor, and saves me a bit to get somthing else for the computer

That one will require you to remove the mobo in order to install it but the mounting mechanism puts good pressure at the contact seam between the cooler base and the CPU face.

Thats fine. I am very familiar with building computers and everything in this category, plus I need to dust out my pc soon any way, I don't enjoy seeing it with dust and what not. Im going to go ahead and purchase it. :)

Okay trent, I'm going to call it a night. I did order that Hyper 212 evo, not only cause it looks GREAT, and is a good price but because I trust you on buying good parts :)
I will speak to you tomorrow unless we are done for now until I receive my new cpu cooler.
Also, a question I have is do I need Thermal Compound when applying the new Heat sink? I would assume so but if not then no need in getting it.

My wife and I will be out of town all day tomorrow visiting her parents in Oregon so let's just plan on picking up with this when you get the new cooler installed. Sleep tight.

Okay sounds good, hope you and your wife have a great time visiting her parents in Oregon. I will let you know when I have the new cooler installed and we will take from there.
Good Night

Back