• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Over Clocking *New to OC*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Your new cooler will come with paste. Unless you're worried about 2 or 3 degrees, I would just go with that.

True, it will come with paste but I would suggest picking up a tube of either Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Cooling MX2 or MX4 (not MX3) anyway just to have some on hand. Do it your selfers are always fooling with stuff and if you take that new heatsink off for any reason (what if you don't get it seated correctly or don't get the paste done correctly) you would want to have some extra paste on hand. It's just a few bucks anyway.

Roy, clean the old stuff off the CPU thoroughly with a paper coffee filter. Start with a dry one and finish up with one moistened with some rubbing alcohol. Paper coffee filters don't leave insulating lint behind like tissues, paper towels or soft cloth. They have a hard sheen to them.

I had picked up some Silicone Base Compound from Radio Shack yesterday, that's why I was asking. i wasn't to sure if this stuff would be good enough for what I had just purchased. I had always cleaned my processors off with a credit card of some sort that I would no longer need. I would cut a strip off of the card, then scrap the paste off, then Id get some new paste on the processor and spread around a good coat of it. But never new about the coffee filter trick, I'll go ahead and give that a try. Thanks Dlaw I wasn't too sure if it came with some or not. I'll also take a look to see if i can get some of that Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Cooling MX2 or MX4.

Thermal Compound

So I took back the $3.00 thermal compound and got the one for $7.99 which is High-Density. Is this one that I just got the same better or ****tier than Arctic Silver 5?

Thermal Paste.jpg

Last edited:
Would you? I don't know too much about the compounds. All that I can say is back before I was trying to overclock I would use the $3.00 tube from RS to apply new thermal paste to the dried area of it.

Arctic Silver 5 and Arctic Cooling MX are proven commodities. I know nothing about the RS products. You might try to find out who makes it for them. It could be a produced by a name brand TIM company and be essentially the same as the name brand stuff. A good quality TIM can make a difference of several degrees in temps.

The tube that comes with the CPU cooler will be good for a few applications. I have 2 tubes of it in my drawer, and a tube of AS5. The AS5 does do a better job, but only by about 4 degrees (which was the difference between 3.8GHz and 4.08GHz for me). If you got the cash, get the good stuff. If not, the tube of TIM that comes with the cooler will work fine for you until you do. I agree with trents and RGone that we have no idea how that RS stuff will do. Better to use the Cooler Master branded stuff, in my opinion.

Yea I basically don't have the cash as of now. I've been getting new parts for my computer here and there so its kinda breaking me on cash. So far I got my Mobo, PSU, and GTX 550 TI, and last night just got the Cooler. So maybe since you guys don't know about the RS brand ill just take it back and use the one that comes with the cooler.

How much did you pay for the RS brand? I sent you an ebay link earlier for a good buy on AS 5. It can't have been any more expensive than the RS stuff.

Yea I seen :( but what should I do? should I take it back and get the other, or should I use the one that comes with the cooler?

Okay buddy, just got my Hyper 212 Evo Installed. I applied the Paste that came with the CPU cooler, then installed the Cooler. Whats next on the list for us to do?

Okay, run a 20 minute Prime95 blend test at stock speeds and voltages. Have HWMonitor open before you start Prime. Let's check the CPUTIN and core temps with the new cooler and compare them to what you were getting with the stock cooler back in post #40. Attach the HWmonitor pic after the stress test with your next post.

Back