• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Over Clocking *New to OC*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Your CPUTIN temps look appropriate now, is what he means. Looks like you have some good temp room to overclock now.

This Image looks more REAL than the others you have posted with CPUTIN at 0.

attachment.php

First thing is, turn off that cotton pickin' 5% overclock thing in bios. Remember that?

Second thing is, post pics of the three CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD.

Third thing is, don't get in a hurry! Safe and effective overclocking requires patience, trial and error. Take regular bathroom breaks.

1. Lower the DRAM Frequency from 1333 to 1066.
2. Increase the CPUNB voltage from 1.175 to 1.225
3. Save those settings, reboot. Take digital camera pics of the relevant sections of the bios reflecting those two changes and CPU-z tab pics of "CPU" and "Memory" tabs and attach those pics.

Okay so I lowered the DRAM Freq to 1066, I cannot increase the CPUNB Volt at all or see the option only because the CPU OC MODE is off which enables the 5%. So there for I stoped after step one. What do I do now?

Know what, go ahead and enable the 5% mode. If it allows us to manipulate the CPUNB frequency and voltage we'll try it. Then change the CPUNB voltage to 1.25. Then give me those pics I requested, please.

that rs TIM is actually arctic silver ceramique... i dont know if this was stated already but i had some of that same stuff you just cant tell cause the tube is backwards in the package

Attachments

• 35-100-009-01.jpg
    35-100-009-01.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 27
Pictures

i attached two pics for u to look at. For the CPUNB which one do I switch to two? I marked with red arrows. And for the 5% part, do u want it at the 5% or one of the others. Im not sure if u are aware of the other percentages.
I will pick up tomorrow. Im beat. Just go ahead and leave me some directions that I could follow until you are available tomorrow.
Capture.PNG

download.jpg

No, I want you to put the CPUNB voltage to be 1.225. Scroll down so you can see more choices. I want it higher than the stock 1.175. The two red arrows you included would lower the voltage.

For the CPU Overclock setting, I want you to put it at 5%. I don't think we will use this any more after that as I want to move to using all manual settings.

It's late. Check with you tomorrow.

A thought. I started to post a picture from the bios that I had made text annotations to but I had another thought.

Without having the motherboard and 'never' planning to do so but wishing to know a little more about the Asrock brand, I have spent over 5 hours g00gle searching information related to this 970 Pro 3 motherboard.

This Asrock board does not impress me at all. It is the worst case of love or hate that I have ever seen in a NewEgg user review log. 42% give 5 stars but 42% also give only one star. If that is anywhere close to accurate it is does not bode well for the board.

I g00gled the search terms overclock or overclocking + ASRock 970 Pro 3 and a few other terms that should have given me some "decent" hits about how the board can be overclocked and actually the search yielded nada/zip/nothing of value at all. Once the first few hits that were worthless were exhausted, then page after page of THIS thread here showed-up on g00gle and that tells some sort of story. At least it does to me. This is not a board for the overclock enthusiast in the context we normally view the hobby of overclocking.

Those 5 plus hours of searching bring me to this possible conclusion after viewing the voltages shown in the HWMonitor (new version) and that is why don't you just choose a 10% overclock setting in bios (where all the issues have come from) and see what voltage is assigned to the CPU Vcore and what temps are then shown in HWMonitor when you try the Prime 95 Blend mode. That might be the easiest method of overclocking this particular motherboard. Especially so with this "locked" upward multiplier, RANA type three core cpu.

I mean Asrock shows expected cpu clocks when you choose percentage of overclock. A much better view of what overlock might be expected when using a 'genie/wizard' to overclock. Asrock might be on to something with their cheaper mobo and odd bios provisions.

It is a thought I came to after hours of searching and seeing this board asked about as a "possible" in other forums and the 'asker' was suggested to go with the Extreme 3 or 4 versions by those responding.

In this what maybe a first, it might be advantageous to try the supplied 'genie' method and see if you can get a fair overclock and move on to some computer use. Just a thought.

RGone...ster. :chair:

I checked again to see if there was the 1.225 in the CPUNB and I dont see anything with a 1.225 which leaves me confused. It's still at 5% also, but I have no clue why I dont have or see the 1.225. What should I do about this?

Roy, if you carry the CPUNB slider down to the bottom, what choices do you see that come after 1.175? If not 1.225 what do you see?

Attachments

• slider.JPG
    slider.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 18
Okay so I found the 1.225 So sorry about that I guess I've just been tired. I also noticed that the DRAM Frequencies have changed to. I no longer see the 1333 or 1066 now that I've changed to 1.225 as you can see in the pics. I also left the DRAM on 840 where it was.

1.jpg

22.jpg

The DRAM frequencies changed because of the 5% OC. It upped the main system bus frequency ("FSB" or front side bus). All the other CPU frequencies and the DRAM frequency are tuned to it.

Set your DRAM frequency to 1119. It used to be 1066 before the 5% OC.

Then post new pics of CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD so we can see where we are with these frequencies and voltages now that we've made changes on top of the 5% OC.

Back