• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock Gone Wild

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XtremeGamer

Registered
Hello to all my fellow overclockers, I need some advice.

I have recently purchased a AMD Phenom II x6 1055t which was being powered by a MSI 880GMA-E45. With it I had a Apevia 500W ATX Power Supply. For weeks I enjoyed the processing power of the 1055t while I shot my way through Gears of War, Crysis, and Left for Dead. I fell in love with this computer but felt as if I was lacking in its true potentials as a six core desktop. So I felt the need to overclock. I increased her in BIOS to 250 x 14 for the FSB giving me the speed of 3.5Ghz. She ran good while I took leaps of faith in Prototype and gunned down many enemies in Call of Duty Black Ops.

It wasn't until I decided to officially test my stability with Prime on my 64 bit OS, that I ran into some problems. While running Prime and watching my core temperatures rise to 52 Degrees Celcius my computer immediately just shut down. The Power LED was staring at me on the front of the case, showing that I was still getting power, but yet my computer was unresponsive.

I opened up the Sunbeam Acrylic Case to check and make sure everything was properly mounted, inspecting for any bolts or screws that could of possibly shorted out my beloved beast. After the investigation was through and no hard evidence was found I continued to investigate further. I did not smell any awry smell of electricity or fire so I was left clueless. I slowly started using the process of elimination disconnecting my SATA drives to ensure that nothing was conflicting with her. I continued to swap out my RAM and ran out of options on what caused her to be so short lived or even how to resescitate her back to life.

I popped out my CPU looking for any signs of oxidation but found nothing but beautiful golden pins from the socket AM3 CPU staring back at me. Nothing bent, nothing abnormal. I scoured every crevice of my motherboard looking for signs of bad capacitators or anything abnormal and found none. I found that unplugging the 4-pin CPU ATX Connection and leaving the 24-pin ATX connection plugged in, allowed for my power supply to attempt to boot my desktop. My fans would spin, and the LED's would flicker across the clear blue acrylic case. I could even hear my hard drive start to spin. Unfortunately we all know that without the CPU getting power, its like a human without a heart and without eyes, because with onboard graphics that is how she displays her hearts content.

I plugged back in the CPU 4-pin ATX connection and attempted again, just to be crushed by that little green light on the front of the case just taunting me and all 7 fans not even attempting to spin. I have a clear blue power supply that goes well with my acrylic case, and when I attempt to start it with the CPU 4-pin connection plugged in, you can see the LEDS in the power supply just flicker for a brief half second and then turn right back off, but that little green Power LED stays lit on the front of the case unless I manually unplug or flip the switch on the power supply cutting off all power sources to the board.

I have tried numerous attempts to reset my BIOS just hoping that it was a small voltage problem, by utilizing the jumper. I have even popped out the CMOS battery just crossing my fingers and hoping. I have searched google everywhere looking for an answer and scoured across these forums. I have seen people with a similar problem, but I'm guessing when they find out what was truly wrong they just quit posting to that forum, which really doesn't help me out.

I really need your advice. I am praying that its not my CPU because I can't afford to spend another close to 200 some odd dollars on another processor and may have to downgrade to a X4. :bang head

If it's my motherboard then thats fine because I can get the same board for $80.00, if its my power supply then yes I'm disappointed because of the fact that I got her to match my acrylic case and she did cost a pretty penny. It's hard to find a clear power supply with blue led's lol...

But I would rather replace a power supply or motherboard then the processor itself. I don't have any other AM3 processors or even boards to swap and test out on or even another PSU at the moment. Right now I am strapped for cash, moving to a new area and still haven't found meaningful employment, just gigs on craigslist here and there.

Please let me know what everyone thinks, I'll be sitting here on this wretched dual core laptop awaiting an answer lol...

Thanks Guys,

Jay

:comp:

.........With it I had a Apevia 500W ATX Power Supply.........

I would start right here and replace this ASAP. Apevia has a reputation of "Russion Roulette."

Thanks Rolling Thunder! I am hoping that it is my Power Supply but as I said before it went with my case so well lol...but I am planning on taking her Monday to the local computer shop and have them run some diagnostics to see if it is the Power Supply, the board, or the CPU. I've heard that AMD Cpu's if they are gone they usually take the board with them, and I am really hoping and praying that this is not the case...

I will keep you guys updated because I know it was frustrating for me to scour these forums and see people with the same problems that I have been experiencing and once they come to a solid solution they never posted back a response regarding what caused their issues and how the came to solve them. So I will definitely keep this thread going.

The only question I have is since the Power Supply is still powering on with the CPU 4 pin unplugged and the Power LED stays lit, couldn't that rule out the Power Supply as a possibility. Of course I do know that the board may not be getting enough power from the Power Supply Unit causing this to happen and possibly that's why its only outputting a sample of power with the CPU 4-pin ATX connection unplugged and without a multimeter on hand or another spare power supply I will not truly know until diagnostics are run. Just trying to use the infamous process of elimination.

Haha...well i am hoping the both of you are correct, I am excited to get back on the gaming path because this dual core laptop just doesn't cut it. Lol...What would be your recommendations for a solid Power Supply Unit and should I bump it from 500W this time to say 650?

Haha...well i am hoping the both of you are correct, I am excited to get back on the gaming path because this dual core laptop just doesn't cut it. Lol...What would be your recommendations for a solid Power Supply Unit and should I bump it from 500W this time to say 650?

List all your hardware so a valid assessment can be made.

Motherboard - MSI 880GMA-E45
CPU - AMD Phenom II x6 1055t
RAM - 4GB Corsair DDR3 1333
GPU - Integrated ATI Radeon HD 4250
Storage - Western Digital 1TB 7200 RPM Sata
Case - Sunbeam Acrylic
PSU - 500W Apevia
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Peripherials - Logitech Wireless Keyboard & Mouse
Screen - I-Inc 19" Wide Screen Monitor with DVI
Speakers - Altec Lansing 5.1 Surround Sound System

Oh and forgot one more thing:
DVD Drive - HP Lightscribe DVD+RW Sata Drive

A Corsair VX450 is fine or this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

or these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139017

These will all be fine for your rig with integrated video. Regardless if your shop finds other issues, replace that power supply anyhow with one of these or similar.

Well I do plan on utilizing the Crossfire feature with my board and purchasing an ATI video card later on down the road to help enhance my gaming experience. So along with the Corsair 430w PSU you had listed, should I find something with a little more wattage if I plan on using Crossfire X with a PCI Express 2.0 x16 card linked to my integrated GPU?

Well I do plan on utilizing the Crossfire feature with my board and purchasing an ATI video card later on down the road to help enhance my gaming experience. So along with the Corsair 430w PSU you had listed, should I find something with a little more wattage if I plan on using Crossfire X with a PCI Express 2.0 x16 card linked to my integrated GPU?

Well you didn't say that initially (SLI). You'll have to disengage your onboard video is you use graphics cards and depending on what graphics cards you want will depend on your power supply requirements. You're in a different league now.

Well I do apologize for that. I definitely want to leave enough headroom for a broader expansion of my system. I do plan on upgrading the processor as well in the near future to an 1100t but it will be a few months down the road. As far as the video card I was thinking of something such as the following which would give me enough leeway with running my games at a more enhanced visual aspect.
http://www.outletpc.com/xh6682.html

Well I do apologize for that. I definitely want to leave enough headroom for a broader expansion of my system. I do plan on upgrading the processor as well in the near future to an 1100t but it will be a few months down the road. As far as the video card I was thinking of something such as the following which would give me enough leeway with running my games at a more enhanced visual aspect.
http://www.outletpc.com/xh6682.html

The Corsair 430 will still run one of those.

Perhaps look at a Corsair CX500 instead. Or, if you can find one at a good price, a TX650. 650W is more than enough to run SLI/Xfire for most cards (Excluding dual GPU cards, etc).

You really shouldn't be all happy that it's the psu. I've seen bad psu's fry entire systems when they go out. Sounds like you may have dodged a bullet if it will try and boot, but don't be surprised if it didn't hurt something else.

2 things should never be scrimped on. Power Supply and Motherboard. Don't have to get the most expensive thing on the market, but sticking to better manufacturers is a good thing. :thup:

I would start right here and replace this ASAP. Apevia has a reputation of "Russion Roulette."

I tested an Apevia case, and it was a nice case... The PSU blew up after 3 minutes of being powered on, and earned the case a Fail rating in our review as a result. The PSU made a sound like a gunshot, shot sparks, and smelled horrible... I was just trying to power on the system long enough to get pictures of the case with the case lights on and everything running. Didn't hold up long enough.

No parts were damaged when it went, and I felt very fortunate.

Thanks for the help everyone, and I love reading about the Apevia case lol...I just hope that it never happens to me, so I will definitely make sure to switch her out as soon as possible! But it does shed light onto the case because worse things have happened and I will definitely keep everyone posted on this topic...Monday I'm taking her in and see what they say. Please be just the Power Supply...fingers crossed...and my fingers are aching to get back to some gaming lol...even my emulators are lonely without the millions of roms screaming my name lol

Sounds like the PSU to me. Had the same kind of thing happen to me with a new build this weekend. It was the build from Hades. First the PSU went out. It was an old cheap come with the case kind of PSU I kept around for testing and starting new builds outside the box. Then the old left over SATA I HD I kept around for testing purposes died. Finally, the new motherboard died. RMA with new stuff on the way. The new PSU coming is (hate to admit it) a 600W Apevia. Maybe it will really put out 450W but that should be sufficient for what I'll use it for - a spare and a troubleshooting test unit. Couldn't resist the NewEgg deal for the PSU. With rebate it was under $10 with free shipping.

Okay guys have some great news or at least it sounds great to me lol. I don't really have to worry about the CPU, the tech called me today and said that the issues were with the Apevia Power Supply as many of you said and the MSI Board. I would rather spend $90 on a 500W PSU and Asus board anyday! So this is what I will be replacing it with:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131657R
Asus Board
&
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152028 Power Supply

Last edited by a moderator:
Back