• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock settings and strange behavior.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well that is the same post aside from the am I double posting bit

Thank you, I almost forgot about the RAM. I am a retired computer tech. and network tech. who contracted with the US Navy back in the mid 1990's when DOS 6.1 was going out and Windows 95 was coming in. A fast computer would be a 486-60MHz with 60MB of RAM and a 300MB or less IDE hard drive. I was sent by my company to be certified in Windows NT which I was but shortly after that I quit that job and went into business for myself until the year 1999. I did not keep up with my certifications and pretty much stayed with what I knew after that. Anyway all of this is new to me but I am able to easily pick it up and understand it. However, nowadays a mistake can be costly so everything you tell me here is much appreciated. I haven't done a lot of reading on the new Ryzen CPU's so when I go from my fx 8350 at 4.0 GHz 8 core 8 thread and see a Ryzen 3.7 GHz AM4 6 core 12 thread I get a little confused about why it is faster. If anyone knows a quick way of explaining that I would love it. I want to get what I want the first time as I have this terrible habit of buying everything just to upgrade almost all of it two months later. Thanks everyone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quick question off the topic. Am I double posting my reply's?

This last one is a double post.

Trying to get where you want to go with your overclock on these 8 core FX CPUs often requires a custom water loop. The cooler you have is only marginally better than the best air coolers and they fall short at this level of overclock.

Trents, I thought the Coursair double 120mm fan was the best cooler. How can I get or make a custom cooler?

There are some three fan AIO (All In One) prefabbed units like this one that are in the same price range and will cool better: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106241

In addition, there are some DIY kits that would provide better performance than the Corsair 2 fan units: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAC8W4Z05631 These are quite expensive and would not provide much better cooling performance than the good AIO units. However, they would provide more flexibility in the placement of the components.

The other alternative is to buy the individual components (radiator, pump, reservoir, fans, tubing, fittings, clamps, "O" rings, coolant) and make your own custom loop. This would be more expensive than an AIO but less expensive than the DIY kit (depending on the components you choose) but would afford flexibility in the build. There are a lot of online guides for assembling and maintaining a custom loop. It's really not that hard if you are the kind of person used to fixing your own stuff. For a custom loop with a good pump and radiator you might figure around $250 US.

I'm posting back on this thread about 1 week after system re-build. I decided on the ASUS Prime X370-Pro Mother Board, Ryazen 7 1700 CPU, Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm AIO Liquid Cooling System CPU Cooler and and Vengeance DDR4 16GB 3000MHz. The UEFI in the ASUS is different than the one in my old ASRock which I had no trouble with but the new board's UEFI crashes on me if I'm in UEFI for more that a minute and this is with the system set at defaults. The mouse starts jerking real bad then crashes causing me to have to power down the system. Has anyone else seen this? I have it overclocked to 3.825 GHz via software ( Because I can't through UEFI ) I'm sure I can go faster. buy running short 20 sec. stress test then I would increase it by .025GHz test and increase then stress and so on until it reached 62c I say this because it is exactly how the software does it but, using the software it gets to 62c then shuts the system down. However 20 min on prime95 got it to 55c however with a couple of hours playing games and other computing it never reaches 40c. I think it can easily get to 4.0 GHz.

I would flash the bios to the latest version or if you are already using the latest version I would flash it with the same version. If the latter is the appropriate option you may need the driver/utilities disk that came with the motherboard. I know you would need that if you were back flashing to an earlier bios. This is one thing I really like about ASRock motherboards in that they allow you to back flash without any hassle. Asus and Gigabyte make it difficult.

I'm posting back on this thread about 1 week after system re-build. I decided on the ASUS Prime X370-Pro Mother Board, Ryazen 7 1700 CPU, Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm AIO Liquid Cooling System CPU Cooler and and Vengeance DDR4 16GB 3000MHz. The UEFI in the ASUS is different than the one in my old ASRock which I had no trouble with but the new board's UEFI crashes on me if I'm in UEFI for more that a minute and this is with the system set at defaults. The mouse starts jerking real bad then crashes causing me to have to power down the system. Has anyone else seen this? I have it overclocked to 3.825 GHz via software ( Because I can't through UEFI ) I'm sure I can go faster. buy running short 20 sec. stress test then I would increase it by .025GHz test and increase then stress and so on until it reached 62c I say this because it is exactly how the software does it but, using the software it gets to 62c then shuts the system down. However 20 min on prime95 got it to 55c however with a couple of hours playing games and other computing it never reaches 40c. I think it can easily get to 4.0 GHz.

hey im running on asrock 970a-g/3.1 with fx 9370 and have ran fx 8320/8350/8370 on this board. You should reset your CMOS and flash your bios back like trents has said. You shouldn't use the overclocking software. Once you get to base settings for your fx 8350 in bios then work from there. There is only one bios for this board from asrock. http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970A-G3.1/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

there is a neat tool in asrock bios that allows you to flash from the internet too if you are having problems. Just under the "Tool" tab in bios.

You could expect MAYBE 4.2-4.3~ with a good chip with an AIO on the fx-8350 on this board depending... You're not going to get anywhere if you dont have a spot fan cooling the VRM or the socket either. This will reduce temps by 5-15c.

edit didnt notice you already switched systems :)

Last edited:
Back