• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking P166MMX!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pounder2000

Registered
any1 know how to clock one of these babies, and what it is likely to go to?

my parents hav had it for years. they got it from PC World(spit on them) for £1100 (was a good price at the time) anyway i want to play with it but the bios is locked out and we cant get the password, how would i go about fixing this? would i need to get into the bios? or would it all be jumpers on the motherboard?

to get into the bios, you can try some of the bios reseting programs out there. Seach on yahoo for em.

Or you can pull the motherboard battery and unplug the computer over night. That should reset the bios to default. To may need to reconfig your harddrive and stuff in the bios afterwards.

p166mmx isn't going to over clock much. First, the multiplier is locked on these chips. The only over clock you will get is via the frontside bus. Check the manual for jumper settings. you might be able to over clock marginally.

maybe up to 200mhz.

Look for a jumper near the realtimeclock battery marked cmos, switch it to the other posts for 5 seconds with the machine unplugged, then switch it back, start the machine and hit delete or F2 key( whatever gets you to the bios) this will reset the password default to zero, then find the jumpers for Fsb on the board and go up a little:)

thefly: Multipliers were only locked on P2 chips and later were they not?

I have managed to OC a P120 to 133, no much, but its something :).

The FSB options on older Socket 7 motherboards are usually just 50, 60, 66.
The old P5 system that I oced used jumpers for multipliers and FSB. Multiplier options were 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 and 3.

Check the max speed - and get details of the jumper settings. Personally, I think that you will find it difficult to OC. The max FSB will probably be 66 (what the PC is already at), maybe 70 with some luck. With FSB overclocking you are looking at 175MHz. The max multiplier is likely to be about 3. Try getting it to 200MHz but I doubt that it will be stable - you never know tho...

PenguinFreak:

I honestly can't remember 100% I thought the multi was locked. You're probably right mind you. Either way, getting an extra 33mhz is going to be the max.

Either way, it's not going to be a rocket.

But fun to play with none the less.

thefly said:
PenguinFreak:

I honestly can't remember 100% I thought the multi was locked. You're probably right mind you. Either way, getting an extra 33mhz is going to be the max.

Either way, it's not going to be a rocket.

But fun to play with none the less.

I remember at least the classic Pentiums are unlocked - there was a big scam a while ago when some people overclocked 150s to 166 and sold them off as 166ers. In those days the extra 16MHz was a big boost :)

I'm pretty sure that the multiplier lock started with the Pentium MMX. Even then it wasn't fully locked, just you couldn't put it any higher. Anyways, I doubt that you will be able to overclock from the BIOS, a jumper is more than likely.

-DarkArctic

my router is a mmx 200 @ 233 via jumper and at school I jumped up a 166 @ 200 with no probs

DarkArctic said:
Anyways, I doubt that you will be able to overclock from the BIOS, a jumper is more than likely.
Yeah, I have a P1 mobo too, and it only has FSB / Multi settings with jumpers.... And I also believe that the MMXs were 'multiplier limited' or something like that...

Amazingly enough, I can bring my aincient P1 system to a blistering 300Mhz (75 x 4)!! Thats only 166Mhz slower than my main system :eek:

JigPu

thanks for the replies peeps, gonna giv the mb manual a look through tonite, see where those jumpers are and if all goes well i'l get back 2 ya

Back