• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Sandbox: Tbred B DLT3C 1700+ and Beyond

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The two most important things in choosing a power supply are choosing a reputable brand(what's reputable is debatable), and (okay, I will back down now:)) finding one rated at the very least at 20A on the 12V rail. The 12V is clearly the most heavily taxed in most of today's system. If you keep those two factors in mind, its hard to go wrong.

Gautam said:
The two most important things in choosing a power supply are choosing a reputable brand(what's reputable is debatable), and (okay, I will back down now:)) finding one rated at the very least at 20A on the 12V rail. The 12V is clearly the most heavily taxed in most of today's system. If you keep those two factors in mind, its hard to go wrong.

It is good to come to some agreement (relative) from disagreement based on technical discussions, calculations, ... than just subjective, undecisive perferences. Based on technical terms, even if it is wrong or incomplete, it can be refined to get better, ...

Some test results on PSU with different ratings for overclocking

Some thoughts on choosing PSU for overclocking recent motherboard, CPU, GPU, ... (part 2)

Last edited:
The conclusions that I have come to are:
a) 15A is enough for my purposes
b) 15A may be far from enough for many
c) Every brand has quirks in its reliability

I must apologize if I appeared to be subjective previously.

Gautam said:
The conclusions that I have come to are:
a) 15A is enough for my purposes
b) 15A may be far from enough for many
c) Every brand has quirks in its reliability

I must apologize if I appeared to be subjective previously.

By no mean I was referring to you about subjectivity, it is just a general statement about good to be technical in terms of discussion.

Your motherboard, CPU are modern for today, I think your PSU is good 6-12 months ago. Does not mean you have to get a new PSU for your UPMW now, it may not be worth for price-performance. But it is something to keep in mind, especially you need to add 1 or 2 HD's, a better video card, ...

This is the most informative thread I have ever read!
Unfortunately, I am unable to derive the representation of some of the variables that you use in equations throughout the thread.
I am sure that others have had difficulty with some of these equations also, and maybe in the interest of making this thread more friendly to the noobs and physics-challenged (some of our younger readers don't get physics until late in H.S., and I myself regret never taking it) thereby rendering this thread even more complete, someone might be interested in delegating a post to explaining the formula variables (maybe even the formulas themselves) just a bit. I tried, but as you will see, I haven't quite grasped enough to provide sufficient explaination of the variables and only by copy/pasting the following equations onto one sheet, was I able to gather the following, and grasp some understanding of the equations at hand.
My intention is to keep original text in white, and my text in color.

P is CPU active power (watts)
f is CPU frequency (mhz)
C is the equivalence capacitor to model CPU switching for a given load (there are 10-100 millions cap charged/discharged per cycle depends on the CPU load) (how/where do we determine C ???)

I = C V f
What does
I represent? What does V represent

P = C V^2 f
What does
V^2 represent?

P_leak = V^2 / R
P_active = C V^2 f
What does
R represent?

P = a V^3 (where a is a constant)
or dP / P = (1/3) dV / V
What does
A represent? What's dP represent? my guess = (Delta P, AKA change in CPU POWER (WATTS))?
What does
V^3 represent?

where K is the HS thermal resistance (C/W)
Thermal resistance K = (maxT - ambT) / P
thermal resistance K = (dieT - ambT) / P
so C/W=(Max_Die_Temperature-Ambient_Temperature)\CPU_POWER

Since (f2 - f1) / f1 = S (T2 - T1), where S is piece-wise linear constant at frequency f1. I estimated S to be around -0.4%/C. Or f2 / f1 = 1 + S(T2 - T1). So we can write
(T2 - ambT + x) / (T1 - ambT) = 1 + S(T2 - T1)

What does piece-wise linear constant translate to?

The temperature increase per unit Vcore increase at a given frequency can be estimated as follow:
P = C V^2 f + V^2 / R
dP / P = 2 dV / V
where C and R are the equivalent capacitance and resistance, f is clock frequency.
So when Vcore is increased by x (%), P is increased by about 2x.
Since temperature/power = constant (HSF thermal resistance or flow rate), so temperature is increased by 2x. An increase of temperature of 2x, will slow down the clock by
del_f = 2x (0.4%) f T
where T is initial temperature.
E.g. Vcore increased by 10% (x=0.1), f = 2300 MHz, T = 37 C, del_f = 0.2 (0.004) (2300) (37) = 68 MHz

So how do I determine the equivalent resistance (R)

Again, my most excellent regards on a most informative thread that I plan on pasting the adress of in more than a couple posts/forums (I have been frequenting 10 forums consistently in the last month)

Thanks for bringing up these excellent points. There are forum readers with age, knowledges and experiences over a wide range. I think there are many young ages (under 10? :clap: ), existing and future scientists, engineers, professionals around, .... Some of the things I put down are HS and/or college level in computer science, engineering and physics, ..., knowing these things better should help overclocking and designing systems, ...

I try to give summary and conclusion in the technical posts so that one can skip through the details to get something (hopefully), whether agree or disagree. Sometime, I may have skipped some details about how things are derived (to make the posts shorter), but the missing details can be found from links to other posts at the links listed in first post of the thread, and I assume who are interested in more details would read those posts also. Any questions and comments about clarity, correctness, completeness, ..., are welcome.

Back to your specific questions, here are some answers (not in order):

V^2 means V to the power of 2 = V V (V times V)
V^3 means V to the power of 3 = V V V (V times V times V)
I try to avoid using superscripts (to represent power of 2, power of 3, ...), and subscripts which may not be unverisally displayable.

I, V, R, C, L, P, f, ... are current, voltage and resistance, capacitance, inductance, power, frequency respectively. I think they have been defined in the text. More basic concepts about I, V, R, C, L, P, f and their relationship requires some understanding about principle of electricity. I will give some links below about them.

For a brief summary,
V = I R (voltage V across a resistor with resistance R and current I)
P = V I (power dissipation P in an element with current I and voltage V across)
Q = C V (charge Q stored in a capaictor with capacitance C and voltage V across)
I = Q / t (current I equals to the flow of charge Q per unit time t)

If P is power and V is Vcore, dP/dV is rate of change of power with respect to V (or in terms of calculus, it is a derivative). It is used to represent how power is changed (dP) when Vcore is changed (dV).

So dP is a small change of power corresponding to dV, a small change of Vcore, at a certain operating point of a CPU. There are useful for analysing small changes without the need to know the actual C and R representing the CPU for power calculation. This may answer your question about what are the values of C and R in the model that I used. Both C and R can be calculated/estiamted (plan to discuss it in another post), but it is NOT necessary to know their values for estimating power and current changes.

For example, since P = C V^2 f (see link below for explanation), assuming CPU clock frequency f is constant,
dP/dV = 2 C V f
dP/P = 2 (dV/V)
(so the equivalent C and f are no more in the equation for calculating change in power correponding to change in voltage)
If a CPU consumes power P of 50W at Vcore 1.5V, then a small change of Vcore of 1% (15 mV), would give a change of power of 2% (1 W).

To answer your question about P = aV^3 (where a is a constant).
dp/P = 3 (dV/V)
Actually there was a typo in the original text "dp/P = 1/3 (dV/V)", it should be dp/P = 3 dV/V, the rest of the text remains unchanged.
It is for analysing the power change when both voltage (Vcore) and frequency (CPU clock) are changing. In that analysis, the frequency f is approximted by a piece-wise linear function as Vcore. What it means is that the frequency f (for max overclocking) varies linearly with Vcore over a small range, but may not be linear over a wider range, i.e. the proportional constant varies as Vcore. E.g. at 1.5V, it is 130 MHz/100 mV, at 1.7V, it is 100 MHz/100 mV, at 1.9V, it is 50 MHz/100 mV. Since P = C V^2 f and f = k V (where k is a piece-wise linear constant), so P = a V^3, a = k C.

The other piece-wise linear constant S referred to is to describe how max clock frequency varies with temperature. Electrons move slower as temperature rises. So S = 1/f df/dT = - 0.4%/C (rule of thumb estimation). I used an estimate for every degree C rise in die temperature, there is a loss of 0.4% of CPU frequency in the example.

You are correct that C/W=(Max_Die_Temperature-Ambient_Temperature)/CPU_POWER

Here are some links to some basic terms involved in this post (also some more in the first post of this thread):

What is cycle time and frequency

What is the active power of a CPU at frequency f and voltage V

Relationship of clock, die temperature and Vcore (page 2)

Last edited:
Here's a new results using sandra for memory benchies
Offset Displacement Used : Yes
Bandwidth Efficiency : 90% (estimated)

Test Status
Memory Used by Test : 256MB
NUMA Support : No
SMP Test : No
Total Test Threads : 1
SMT Test : No
Dynamic MP/MT Load Balance : No
Processor Affinity : No

Chipset 1
Model : Abit Computer Corp nForce2 AGP Controller
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 226MHz (452MHz data rate)
Width : 64-bit
Maximum Bus Bandwidth : 3616MB/s (estimated)

Logical/Chipset 1 Memory Banks

RedDawg41 said:
Here's a new results using sandra for memory benchies

Test Status

Chipset 1
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 226MHz (452MHz data rate)
Maximum Bus Bandwidth : 3616MB/s (estimated)

What memory module are you using? What ras/cas timing? Single or dual channel? 90% efficiency is on the low side, the norm is 95% on nforce2 motherboard.

My single channel efficiency is around 95%.

that was my results for sandra with my sig... Corsair XMS low latency PC3200 (256mbx2) running dual channels. kinda low? sandra marks put thoses scores at the top.?.? 90% efficiency might be due to the ram timings I guess... 2-2-2-11. I can run this @230FSB, but ram timings have to step down. 2.5-2-2-11.

here you go hightechjb1.... seems that 230FSB would not stablelize and I can't remember which settings were working for me the last time I did this. But 227FSB is a beautiful thing to look at. BW efficiency is 96% and 90%

SiSoftware Sandra

Int Buff aEMMX/aSSE (Integer STREAM) Results Breakdown
Assignment : 3489MB/s
Scaling : 3491MB/s
Addition : 3469MB/s
Triad : 3475MB/s
Data Item Size : 8-bytes
Buffering Used : Yes
Bandwidth Efficiency : 96% (estimated)

Float Buff aEMMX/aSSE (Float STREAM) Results Breakdown
Assignment : 3485MB/s
Scaling : 3289MB/s
Addition : 3158MB/s
Triad : 3111MB/s
Data Item Size : 8-bytes
Buffering Used : Yes

Test Status

Chipset 1
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 227MHz (454MHz data rate)
Maximum Bus Bandwidth : 3632MB/s (estimated)

very nice. I have the exact same chip as u do with the same cooling. So now i know i can expect more. The only problem i have is that my memory is 2700 Samsung. Should i get some 3500 or just change my timings to get 200 FSB *(which I have done wiht no problems).OH yeah and thank god im in my second year of computer enginnering or I would have had no clue what your taking about :) BTW did u say your current operating point is with your Smartfan II at 4000 RPM's!! that is no even audible, nice job!!! one more thing shoud i be woried about running my CPU above 1.8V. Its currently at 1.7 like in my sig

I would first try and test out your timings... Corsairs mem modules are a bit ch to get the right timings at their rated max'd speeds... basically trial and error. but I'm still looking for that gold ring as far as timing is concerned. As for your Samsung PPC2700.... If you can get it stable @200fsb, at default votls, then you can work your way up, 5mhz at a time, then tweak it down 1mhz when you hit the wall. if your maxing out your volts @200fsb, then your memory ain't going to help you out when reaching for higher fsb on ur abit board. Get a good deal with the corsair twin packs... 2x256mb mods will save you some $$ in the long run, or if you got deep pockets then get the pc3500 or 3700's... make sure it's the low latency mods which have been spectacular so far (imoho).

silentfire said:
very nice. I have the exact same chip as u do with the same cooling. So now i know i can expect more. The only problem i have is that my memory is 2700 Samsung. Should i get some 3500 or just change my timings to get 200 FSB *(which I have done wiht no problems).OH yeah and thank god im in my second year of computer enginnering or I would have had no clue what your taking about :) BTW did u say your current operating point is with your Smartfan II at 4000 RPM's!! that is no even audible, nice job!!! one more thing shoud i be woried about running my CPU above 1.8V. Its currently at 1.7 like in my sig

I think you have all the good hardware for high fsb and cpu overclocking to 200+ MHz fsb and 2.5 GHz cpu. The weak point is the Samsung 2700 memory, probably you already aware of.

The nf7-s rev 2 should do at least 200 MHz (chipset C1 stepping). The 2700 may be able to do 190-200 MHz if given higher Vdimm and relax timing to CAS 2.5. If you want to get to 200-230 MHz fsb to improve overall system performance, like many nf7-s motherboard reported, you may need to use PC3500 memory modules or some good overclocking PC3200 modules.

There are a few PC3200 modules that use winbond 5ns (BH-5, CH-5) chips such as TwinMOS, Corsair LL, ... , have quite high probability to be overclocked to 220 MHz and change level at higher Vdimm (e.g. the two previous posts from RedDawg41). My concern about using PC3200 is that in case it cannot be overclocked to one's target fsb, then would get screwed. Some PC3500 non-overclocked memory modules (based on 4.5 ns DRAM chip) are good too. Actually I am looking for a good PC3500 that has overclocking potential. PC3700 is too expensive for me at this point, unless I am sure motherboard is able to run fsb around 250 MHz.

Even your fsb stays at 180 MHz level (using your current PC2700 memory), you can still overclocking the CPU to 2.4-2.5 GHz by using a higher multiplier. CPU and fsb overclocking are independent.

Back to your question about CPU, SLK-800U and fan, for testing I use Vantec Tornado and it can get the CPU to 2.6 GHz stable. For normal daily use, I lower the TT SFII to around 3500-4000 rpm, and the CPU can run 2.54 GHz stable (load at 48/28 C). In summer, ambient rise about 2-4 C, so I adjust the CPU down to around 2.5 GHz. I estimated a rise of 1 C in ambient would cut the CPU max frequency by about 1% (analysis in previous post).

Regarding to Vcore, if max performance is a goal, for a given CPU and system, voltage and cooling are the only way to improve hardware performance. I think 1.8-1.9V is OK as long as we monitor the CPU and system closely, its stability and its temperature (probably most of us know the CPU temperature better than our own body temperature, lol). For PC builders or manufacturers that build lots of PC a month, that is another story. If they put that much voltage on each box, I think they will get lot of recalls.

Last edited:
RedDawg41 said:
that was my results for sandra with my sig... Corsair XMS low latency PC3200 (256mbx2) running dual channels. kinda low? sandra marks put thoses scores at the top.?.? 90% efficiency might be due to the ram timings I guess... 2-2-2-11. I can run this @230FSB, but ram timings have to step down. 2.5-2-2-11.

The Corsair LL based on 5 ns DRAM chips may be topping out near 230 MHz. Have you run memtest to see whether the memory module is topping out around 230 MHz, with fsb set to lower speed using ASYNC 5:4 or 4:3? What Vdimm are you using?

I am looking for memory modules 3500 that can have a good chance to be overclocked to at least 230 MHz CAS2. 3700 is too much money at this time.

Samsung PC2700 is famous for its overclockability. My friend burnt his in and has his running at 5-2-2-2 200mhz at 2.7v. That should be nice enough for anyone. At higher voltage levels, this stuff can cross 210mhz at CAS 2. Unless you really need blazing memory speeds, I'd stick with the Samsung. 200mhz is certainly not, by any means, a slow memory frequency.

(probably most of us know the CPU temperature better than our own body temperature, lol).
Sad, but true... ;)

I am looking for memory modules 3500 that can have a good chance to be overclocked to at least 230 MHz CAS2. 3700 is too much money at this time.

What exactly is your budget? This Twinmos module would probably be your best bet. The popular Buffalo sticks tend to be luck of the draw.

vdimm is set at max on the nf7-s, v2.9 I can tell you that I don't have a full understanding of 5:4 or 4:3.... I just run everything sync 6:6... I don't know if corsair is using sometype of pixeydust or Goldbond 2000, but da sha_it works under some severe stress... Sisoft runs thru, CPU Burn-in v1.01 is running in the back ground as I type this, Load temps are at 50c at the moment, as I expected, thru winbond hardware, so just add 10c to that temp for a true reading, nforce2 boards doesn't exactly measure true temps via the internal cpu diode/reader/who know what it is. Does it run stable enough? for me yes, and I'm a major player of Air Sims, and RPG's/RTS. You name it, I've probably have played it. Dungeon Siege rocks on this... and it displays Framerates as well... the only thing is that I'm running a Geforce2 ultra w/64mb... that's my bottle neck. anything you want me to try out, I'll give it a shot, holding back only from burning out this set of corsairs... Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

Yes...you certainly can't go wrong with Corsair. It does come at quite a price, though. The NF7 measures through an in-socket thermistor, however I've found its temps to actually appear to be very accurate, surprisingly enough. You don't have to worry about ratios as long as your front side bus and memory bus can keep up with one another. If either falls short, you run them asyncronously. Btw,
I don't know if corsair is using sometype of pixeydust or Goldbond 2000

It's called Winbond BH-5 ;)

Yes, I knew that G-man, but you've got to admit, tossing a line or 2 and joking about it, makes the world go around a little better...

Smile, it's not to late to thru the switch at your ole lady! :)

G-man...never heard that one before ;). Thru the switch? What? Btw, this thread deserves a five-star rating.

Just to note, I'm not posting stable scores @230FSB... I don't know why... This mobo is a monster on a leash, I've tighten up the settings but now she won't do 230fsb no matter what timmings i throw at her... SuperPI locks up... Prime95 throwup errors, 3dmark2001se just won't complete... locksup and/or throwsup to destop. now it seems that 228FSB is working fine with mem timed @ 2.5-2-2-12... go figure!

Back