• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jackmacconnell

Hello. This is my first post here. So anyway, I want to overclock my HD 7770 and I'm pretty much a complete noob with it. Any other time I've tried overclocking my GPU it didn't end too well, e.g., gsod, locking up, artifacts...whatever, even when tweaking juuust a little bit. I've only used the built it AMD Catalyst utility so what other program could I try? And could you help me to determine how far I can overclock my card? Thanks for any help.

Specs:
AMD Athlon II X3 455 Rana
8GB G.Skill 1333 RAM
Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X Edition
500GB HDD
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

You are going to be a bit limited with that kind of card...(low end, so not robust and not too much voltage control (if any)).

That said, Sapphire has its own utility called Sapphire Trixx. I would try that one first. Basically, the name of the game is to simply overclock one thing at a time, core, then memory. I start by raising raising the power limit to its maximum, then start with the core in 25Mhz increments and running a quick 3DMark 11 test (GPU only tests if possible). If it works with no artifacts or freezes, I move on another 25Mhz. When it doesnt work, go back down 25Mhz and test more thoroughly. Rinse and repeat with the memory.

If you have voltage control, raise the power limit up again, when you freeze/artifact, raise the voltage up .05, and push on... rinse and repeat.

As far as how far it will get... every card is different, so no idea. But we did review at least one 7770 on the front page (I think two, I did one, and I think Lvcoyote did as well). Check those out to give you an idea of where these can reach.

Back