• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking the X-Box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

futura2001

Does anyone know if it is possible to OC the X-Box. I am thinking that it would be possible as the X-Box is pretty much a PC, but how would you go about it? There has to be some way, would you have to solder the intel chip or something?
Still, it would be kind of fun, however pointless it may be, to have the fastest X-Box on the block...
Futura

The boards will be VERY restricted, although you could try soldering another PIII in place of the current one?

Shouldn't be any harder than overclocking a Mac or a calculator or something- look around inside, find the clock generator crystal, and replace it with a faster one, or just feed it a faster clock signal!

The problem is- the Xbox isn't quite a PC, so who knows if there is some vital timing issue going on with Xbox software that relys on a specific clockspeed. If out of spec, software could just refuse to run at all.

Be pretty tough to replace the CPU- it's a BGA unit, plus it is a weird hybrid of P3 and Mobile Celeron. I'd like to try it tho:D

why would you want to overclock the XBox anyway? whats the point? all the games are created to run at that speed

The better question would be why not? All the games that come out now are created to run at a certain speed. They run better at faster speeds, so it stands to reason that the xbox games would be the same.

Why not just do it for the thrill? For the ability to say, hey my X-box is faster then your's. On the otherhand, I don't have an X-box. [grabs soldering iron and looks meanacingly at his ti-83+] Time to pump up the self esteem...

Back