• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overheating.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jpMNTN

sup.

i sitting hear playing my pc & can feel & smell the heat comeing from it.

i only have smartdoctor to tell me the temp & that was installed with my 260. on boot up it tells me 100f, after about 20minutes its about 120f.

i played the witcher 2 for about 3hours & after finishing it told me it was 170f.

not only that thought, i had a desktop fan blowing into the case as i removed the side & still got that reading.

iv put my system in my signature aswell as my psu "750w" switched onto the 240v setting. i duno if this is the cause but im shure that it shouldnt be that hot.

thanx

You can't smell heat, something is likely running too hot. Also, please use Celcius, as that is what everyone else uses.

If your wall outlet is 240v, then use that setting, otherwise change it back. If you have this wrong, it could do some serious damage to the power supply and the components. If it is set correctly, start getting temperatures of all the components and see if you can find what part is emitting the smell inside your case.

what u mean "change it back". should it be switched to the other one?.

the only reson i switched it to 240v is because i remember reading that the g-card needed it at 240v.

if i flick the switch is there any chance that its going to damage something when i switch it on.

ill start useing c.

I have no way of knowing how your place is wired. If you have 120v at the wall, you need to switch it.

The graphics card doesn't have anything to do with this.

im uk.

i just found this.

In most Switchmode Power Supply units, there is two things that can happen.

1: There is a switch on the back, if it's set to 120 volts, the AC runs first through a voltage doubler to bring it to 240, then that gets rectified and goes to the chopper, and the transformer, ect..

If the switch is set to 240, the AC gets rectified to DC and then goes right to the chopper circuit without any doubling.

This is why when using 120 AC you should never put the switch to 240, as the driving circuits will only be getting half of what they need! Under voltage is just as bad as over voltage.

This is also why, if you are in Europe and using 240, you should never put the switch to 120, because the 240 will get doubled to 480 volts! And if the driving circuits dont fry, the output voltages will be anyones guess!

2: There is no switch and the driving circuit input voltage can be 120 to 240, because the output voltages are stricly regulated and are fixed regardless of input voltages (as long as they are within a safe range).

Most Switch Mode Power supplies that have the switch will have two large smoothing capicitors, these are used with large diodes to form a simple voltage doubler.

I hope this clears that up!

do u think "personaly" i should switch it.

There is no personal opinion about this. If you don't have 240v to your house, you shouldn't have it on that. Again, I have absolutely no way of knowing what voltage you have. You should know this.

well im uk & the UK standard mains voltage is 240v

im kind stuck then as i have no idea wtf is makeing it so hot. even if the temp reads 170f & at a glance im shure the other was 70c+ but will confirm that.

the comp is raised of the ground but under the desk & i can almost feel the heat. the fan are loud too "wwwwHOOOOO" ever now & again so something wrong someware.

thanx thideras for helping a newb ;)

^^^
Edit:
Is the OP in Thailand? According to google it's 220V over there, so I would assume the power supply needs to be at 240V.
If your country uses 240V at the wall, do NOT set the power supply to 120V.

jpMNTN, install HWiNFO64 and post a screenshot of your voltages while just in Windows, and then a screenshot after running a game or whatever so we can get an idea of your temperatures. The fan noise is probably just that you're using stock cooling on the CPU & graphics card so it's a bit loud.

Also knowing your power supply's exact model would help to know what's going on. If it's a terrible unit it could cause issues or run unnecessarily hot due to inefficiency.

jpMNTN, so basically your saying your gtx 260 video card is 48C at idle, and 76C after 2 to 3 hours of load. And your fan on your card is loud, and it puts out a lot of heat.

All that is normal for stock air cooled gtx 260, here is a review with similar idle/load temps. At load your gtx 260 puts out 200W of heat, and the stock fan on yours at that temp will be 80% which is going to be loud.

You could by a better heatsink/fan combination to get noise down, and that would mean reapplying tim which is just slapped on at factory so might help bring temps down with better tim/application as well.

But many people watercool gpus to avoid the noise and temps of air cooling gpus, though you could do some better with upgraded air cooling as well,.

On the other hand if you smell something actually burning, you may have another problem, but I wouldnt expect whatever that is to bring your gpu temps or noise down, unless it is just heated dust you are smelling.

just messing about there. started idle at about 48c the after a couple of hors went upto 80c.

i took the case side off & put my desk fan right under the g-card & after 2 hours recorded 63c so ill put it down to a bad case that need more cooling.

so ill be on that asap & cpu cooler but my sisteem is running at the end of its lifespan for me so will be working on a new system.

thanx everybody :)

Back