• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p4 2.6c--no HT, 266 mem? plz help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

astrochicken

our office just built 4 shuttle x (sb65g2) systems with p4 2.6c cpus and 2x256 corsair 3200 memory. Sandra confirms the processor is a p4 "C" 2.6ghz, and the memory is indeed corsair 3200..

my problem is that the system is posting the processor is a 2.6 ghz @ 100mhz x 26... and the memory is running 266mhz...

i go into the bios and where the motherboard manual says i should have the option to turn on/off hyperthreading, it is not there. it sure feels like the board thinks the processor is only capable of 400mhz fsb, but i bought it off newegg as a p4-C, and sandra says it is....so i'm a little confused...

so i'm essentially missing HT, and my ram's only running at 266...i can't change the memory speed in my bios (have flashed with newer bios)...does anyone have any idea what's going on? the systems seem to be a bit laggy when running autocad and opening big files, so i'm thinking this is having definite performance factors...

thanks for your help!

They havent sold you 400fsb non ht chips insted?
Im taking the motherboards support 800fsb and ht?
It might help to take off a heatsink of and getting the details of the heat spreader.
Think some else will be able to help better.

Download a small prog called cpu-z that will give you more details then sandra.

some more info...

here are some screen captures from sandra and cpu-z...it sure looks like this proc wants to be a 2.6 w/ 400fsb, no HT, but that p4-c in sandra, and the fact that i pointed the guy (my boss) who ordered it to the p4-c on newegg makes me want to believe it should be the 800mhz fsb p4c that i was intending him to order...

the motherboard is what came with a shuttle, which cpu-z reports to be a shuttle model fb61 (i865p).

cpuz.gif

sandra.gif

thanks for your quick responses...i'm starting to think i'll have to tell the boss to buy new processors...grrrr....

AFAIK intel never sold P4 CPU's with a 26x multiplier...24x was highest (for the 2.4 100fsb and 23 for the 3.06 133 fsb)

So it is either a celeron (those do have 26x MP) or some weird mixup. Most likely is that your mobo is just reading the chip wrong, a bios update might help. Best confirmation would be to place the chip in a different rig and get the cpuz screeny.

unfortunate...

i asked the boss to pull out the newegg sales invoice, and it looks like he in fact did purchase the "400mhz" 2.6ghz (no HT anywhere)...probably saw that the one that didn't say HT was 20 bucks cheaper...sigh...

as for why it's reporting to be a p4-C in sandra, or whatever the 26x multiplier is about, i may never know...

thanks again for all your help.

Sjaak said:
AFAIK intel never sold P4 CPU's with a 26x multiplier...24x was highest (for the 2.4 100fsb and 23 for the 3.06 133 fsb)

So it is either a celeron (those do have 26x MP) or some weird mixup. Most likely is that your mobo is just reading the chip wrong, a bios update might help. Best confirmation would be to place the chip in a different rig and get the cpuz screeny.

Thats not true. You can buy both a 2600 and 2800 400 mhz fsb p4 with 26 and 28 mulitpliers.

Astrochicken:

The fact that is says 26 mulitplier and the invoice says it's a 400 mhz fsb chip makes perfect sense. 26 is what a 2600 uses (26x100). Sandra can be wrong afterall.

Indyxc

Indyxc1 said:
Thats not true. You can buy both a 2600 and 2800 400 mhz fsb p4 with 26 and 28 mulitpliers.

you got a link for those chips cause i never saw them and they dont show up in any dutch shop or pricewatch.

Im sure my friends 2.6ghz p4 is 26x100fsb which made me laff as it came with pc2700 which is running well under speed, computer is a prebuilt medion.

Back