• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

packets to bytes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ccb056

I've got my computer plugged into a LAN. It's running XP Pro. When I go into network properties and view the properties for my network card, everything is in packets. Is there a switch in windows or the registry i can flick to change it to bytes. Heck, bits would be better than this packet garbage.

Thanks.

Last edited:
A packet itself really isn't a measurement of size, but there are different sized packets depending on what kind of information or data/how much of the former were sent.

You could use a packet sniffer, those tend to show how big the packets are, and can also tell you a few other things, such as data sent, where to and where from etc. Don't think talkin about em is against forum rules...

Come back if you have other questions.

Fold and Frag on
Brian

Well, a packet can be no larger than 1500bytes (1.5k), but can also be as small as 64bytes.

A program that monitors network usage, like DU-Meter will tell you what it's really doing.

su root said:
Well, a packet can be no larger than 1500bytes (1.5k), but can also be as small as 64bytes.

A program that monitors network usage, like DU-Meter will tell you what it's really doing.

Not to bash - an ethernet packet is no larger than 1500,your'e correct but token ring is 2048, if I remember right,,,,,,,,,I regress, we still have tokenring in our environment (IBM AS/400's running SNA, and network printers, too expensive to replace HP tokenring I/O's with ethernet)) But ethernet vs tokenring is not the point here - sorry, I was just rambling,,,,,,,,,,thinking too much,,,,,,,,,,can be dangerous sometimes

jajmon said:
Not to bash - an ethernet packet is no larger than 1500,your'e correct but token ring is 2048, if I remember right,,,,,,,,,I regress, we still have tokenring in our environment (IBM AS/400's running SNA, and network printers, too expensive to replace HP tokenring I/O's with ethernet)) But ethernet vs tokenring is not the point here - sorry, I was just rambling,,,,,,,,,,thinking too much,,,,,,,,,,can be dangerous sometimes
That's some rambling there :)
Yeah, token ring has a larger max packet size, but I'm not sure what it is... a quick google search reveals that about half the people say that it depends on the card and driver, the rest pick a number like 4096, which to me sounds a little too large (but I guess in a CSMACA environment you wouldn't have anywhere near the number of corrupt packets)

Does the nic applet in Windows show the number of ethernet packets or ip packets?

Either way... he is probably using an ethernet interface so token ring packet size doesn't matter.

Back