• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Patriot Viper 3400 C16 Ram at full 3400mhz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hope you guys are doing well. Been away for a few days. So I am having issues with my board even with default manufacturers bios settings it seems to be hit or miss if it post. I talked to Gigabyte and they offered me and RMA but it sounds like I may get a Refurbish Board. At this point I am considering upgrading the board and wondered if you guys had any recommendations of a board that will work with this ram? Just trying to utilize the XMP the 3400 at full speeds. I am considering looking at the Asus Tuf series since it carries a five year warranty(not sure if that would be overkill). I suppose I could also go forward with the RMA and see if I have better luck. Most of the reviews I have read say this board dies after about a year of use so that is not to encouraging. Thanks for all your help I been reading through all the post and it is very useful information.

Have you tried one memory stick at a time with XMP only, to see if one stick is holding all the other sticks back from rated speed? If that does not work you could try Asus Tuf series. Or it's just the processor IMC holding the memory back from rated speed. Also did you try XMP only and reducing the memory speed 3200?

Update on Patriot Viper 3400 C16 Ram and Asus Z270 Mark 1

Have you tried one memory stick at a time with XMP only, to see if one stick is holding all the other sticks back from rated speed? If that does not work you could try Asus Tuf series. Or it's just the processor IMC holding the memory back from rated speed. Also did you try XMP only and reducing the memory speed 3200?

Hello sorry, I somehow missed your post. I have tried 1 stick at a time as well as 2 sticks at a time. So the xmp profile did work with 1 and 2 sticks. However my board started giving me issue with the network port as well as usb ports and would only post about every fifth time. I ended up Rmaing it.

I bought an Asus Z270 Mark 1, but am still running to the same issue when I have 32GB of ram. I am still using the 6600k processor and Patriot Ram as previoulsy mentioned. I tried upping the VCCSA and VCCI0 to 1.2 as well as the DRAM voltage to 1.4. It seems that the ram is only stable at 3000mhz at timings 15-17-17. Anyone know how high I can go with the VCCSA and VCCIO? I am scared to go about the 1.2? When I run HWINFO 64 it stated that the max vcssa is 1.232V. I assume this is the max of the IMC on the 6600k. I will also mention that at 3000mhz the ram is currently running an average of 1.228V per HWINFO 64.

I am going to try and revisit putting 1 stick in at a time and setting the XMP profile on the new board This may also give me an idea of voltages that the VCCSA and VCCIO is set to WHEN THE XMP profile is enable. If you guys have any more suggestion I would really appreciate it. Thanks for all the help once again.

Coop

I ended up going with an Asus Z270 Tuf Mark 1 board as a motherboard upgrade. It didn't play well with this memory either. The highest clock speed I am able to obtain is 3132 and timings are 16-18-18-36. I am unable to tighten the timings anymore. I tried uping the VCCIO and VCCSA all the way up to 1.3v for testing. Also tried setting the memory voltage to 1.4v as suggested. I downloaded Thaiphoon Burner and here are my results. As you guys have suggested with only 2 sticks inserted I don't have any issues obtaining the 3400mhz speed. I may go back through again and try to boot off of one dimm at a time using the xmp profile.

Here is my results from the Thaiphoon Burner program:

image.JPG

I do keep getting a message about enabling SPD Writes when opening the program. I did see that option in my bios but wasn't sure what benfit that would have. It sounds as if you are trying to program your own timings to the memory itself.
Sorry I been away for a bit my wife just had a baby so I have been really busy. Appreciate all the help. Thought this cpu-z screenshot may also be helpful.

image 2.JPG

Coop

Looks like booting one stick at a time with XMP to see if one stick is holding rest back from full speed is the only thing you have left to do with the memory you have. If that does not work you could try some G.SKILL B-die 3466 CL 16.

Last edited:
You think 3400mhz at 16-18-18-36 is a big performance difference from 3130mhz at 16-18-18-36? The asus board recommended I set my multiplier of the I5 6600k to 39 and the Bclk from 100 to 102( this seems to be now what they call the FSB). I went ahead and did this. I am just weighing whether it is worth switching out this ram. Thanks for answer all my questions.

I looked at the video, yeah not to much of a difference.I ended up clocking down a little more as I could not perform a cold boot after the pc had been off a few minutes.
ram.JPG

I went ahead and took your advice and left voltage at 1.4 for the memory and vccio and vcssa are both 1.2v. It just seems to perform better if I manually set those to values then leaving it at auto. This seems to be some stubborn ram.

i would contact patriot and see what they have to say about your mem not running at stock speeds. they are a solid company and should have some ideas as to how to tweak and test that memory. being that you have had issues over more than one mb its obviously the memory thats having issues.

I looked at the video, yeah not to much of a difference.I ended up clocking down a little more as I could not perform a cold boot after the pc had been off a few minutes.

I went ahead and took your advice and left voltage at 1.4 for the memory and vccio and vcssa are both 1.2v. It just seems to perform better if I manually set those to values then leaving it at auto. This seems to be some stubborn ram.

What is the Vccio and Vccsa with AUTO settings?
This is mine in AUTO.
Vccsa 1.248v.jpg

Wow... high for the speeds. It should do that speed at stock VccSA. ;)

I also dont see VccIO in the screenshot.

Hello Everyone.

I am new to this forum so I will try my best to explain my issue. I am having some issues clocking my ram to full speed. I bought a Gigabyte Z170X-Ultra Gaming motherboard and I have tried the XMP profile for my ram without any luck. The ram is Patriot Viper 3400 C16 Series and clocks at 3400 Mhz. The voltage is 1.35 volts and timings are 16-18-18-36-68. The processor I have is a Intel I5 6600k. I have been told the limitation exist with the 6600k's memory controller and I should have went with an I7 processor. I am basically trying to clock the ram ,mhz as high as possible without causing stability issues( I suppose that is everyone's goal). I have been able to get the ram up to 3200 mhz but had issues with my bios not posting 6 months later and had to clear the cmos. I bought two dual channel kits and the size of the dims are 8GB for a total of 32gb. I may should have bought quad channel ram. I overclocked the 6600k from 3.5 ghz to 3.9mhz to allow the memory controller to have a little more breathing room. I am just trying to get some advice about tighting my timings and what I can adjust voltage wise to gain stability. Hopefully this makes sense I know its a lot of information. I have also tried to manually set my timings with no luck. I am just trying to figure out if the limitation is my board processor or incompatible ram. Let me know if I can provide anymore info.

Thanks,

Coop

It doesn't work that way. If anything, just the opposite is true. Overclocking the CPU puts more strain on the IMC unless I think, you reduce the cache multiplier. I believe the IMC not only communicates with the system RAM but with the CPU cache.

You have to manually adjust cache speed. Its independent of the cpu multiplier and bclk. They havent been tied together since Nehalem.

On my 7600k (paired with an ASRock Z270 Gaming iTX/AC) if I leave the cache multiplier on Auto the cache multiplier is in lock step with the CPU multiplier. For instance, if I change the CPU core multiplier to 46x the cache multiplier will be at 46x. If I change the core multiplier to 48x the cache will also be running at 48x. I was just experimenting with this two days ago. With the core multiplier at 48x and the vcore at 1.28 I had to lower the cache multiplier to 46x in order for the chip to be stable when stress testing.

I also note that OP is only "overclocking" his CPU to the level of stock turbo speed on all cores.

Last edited:
I could be mistaking... I only have Z370 here and I will check later. I don't recall the cache going up from manually overclocking the CPU multiplier only though. It doesn't with X299, and I am pretty sure it doesn't on Z370.

This may be a motherboard dependent parameter then. Wing, what motherboard are you using with the 7600k?

I have the Z370 version of your board on the bench now. After I get the OS setup, I will play around with it. This never happend with any Z270 board that I can recall... including an ASRock board. If it is happening, perhaps make sure you are flashed to the latest BIOS and maybe it goes away. It doesn't make sense its happening honestly.

But yeah, it may be board dependent, but I haven't run across one that does it automatically like that. The cache can't go very high (compared to the CPU) so that doesn't make a lot of sense yours is doing it by changing the CPU multiplier only. Are you abosolutely certain you are changing the CPU multiplier and not the cache?

This may be a motherboard dependent parameter then. Wing, what motherboard are you using with the 7600k?

Gigabyte Z170 HD3.

- - - Updated - - -

I have the Z370 version of your board on the bench now. After I get the OS setup, I will play around with it. This never happend with any Z270 board that I can recall... including an ASRock board. If it is happening, perhaps make sure you are flashed to the latest BIOS and maybe it goes away. It doesn't make sense its happening honestly.

But yeah, it may be board dependent, but I haven't run across one that does it automatically like that. The cache can't go very high (compared to the CPU) so that doesn't make a lot of sense yours is doing it by changing the CPU multiplier only. Are you abosolutely certain you are changing the CPU multiplier and not the cache?

What Z370 board are you using and are you going to give a review?

As I said, it's the same one he has, but Z370 form (ASRock Z370 Gaming ITX/AC). There will be a review, but it is not for OCF. To make a long story short, last year I quit my nearly 20 year IT career to be an editor/reviewer for a much larger website (that pays editors - all these great people here now and in the past did the work for free - I just do the editing and publishing for the most part at OCF).

I will be back here soon enough for reviews though. :)

Back