• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC-DL 800 FSB Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
DaveB said:
I'm not aware of a single failure when using 2.4/533 M0s or D1s. Anything higher clocked is doubtful.

DaveB and Fieldski are correct. I've been following there progress for a couple of months now (getting up the courage to .... well ... jeez, I can't even type the horror). I'm not sure on the 2.8's, but on the 3.06's and 3.2's, the MooseMod doesn't work. I am currently stuck at 165x22 (but still happy) :D ... but lusting for more ... :drool:

yup, i love my xeons! they're 2.4ghz 533fsb D1's and they've successfully done the moosemod. I'm running them now at 15*210 and its rock solid. I haven't done any wire mods or anything and i think can push them just a little more without a wiremod.

jw, if I were to get cpu's with the core stepping of SL7D4, what more would I need to do to do this mod successfully?

Woo I don't know of anyone who has 1mb M0 Xeons and has tried this, the performance would be rather good :). You'll simply need an Asus PC-DL motherboard, some DDR400 (Preferably higher) memory, and an EPS Power supply with server ATX connector. The mod itself is obviously very straightforward, as described previously in this thread.

Polariz^ said:
Woo I don't know of anyone who has 1mb M0 Xeons and has tried this, the performance would be rather good :). You'll simply need an Asus PC-DL motherboard, some DDR400 (Preferably higher) memory, and an EPS Power supply with server ATX connector. The mod itself is obviously very straightforward, as described previously in this thread.

I've tried it on my 3.2/1M M0 processors. It did nothing for me. I'm not sure if I've seen it work in any 2.8+ processors.
I might be picking up some 3.6/2M XEON's (Nacona's). I'm REALLY curious about how they will play in the PC-DL. I'm sure there will be some mods I will have to do. Or heck, I can always just get a new MB ... naa... too fun to play with the PC-DL.

I would have thought it would have worked MLMIB; the reason why all other chips than 2.4GHz fail is because the multiplier is too high. The cache may affect how far your overclock may reach but the stepping you have posted is a 2.40GHz Xeon M0 stepping. Go for it hehe.

well, you can always change the multiplier to something lower right? so a 3.0 can change multi to a 2.4... cuz mine can't boot at 18x200 but when i lower the multi to as low as 15x200 it boots fine, except i see some very minor stability problems... this is all with 2.4ghz D1 cpus with no other mods

Higher speed CPUs fail because the BIOS tries to post at the maximum multiplier at first and the system or CPU can't post at those speeds. The 2.4 doesn't have that problem as it's lower maximum multiplier is well within OC range.

well, mine wasn't able to post at 18x200 with my 2.4ghz so i had to lower the multi first... so couldn't higher clocked cpus do the same? of course if you have to reset the bios you'll have to go back to 133 to change the multi again

Well some mobos start to post at the highest default mutiplier before they read the BIOS settings. It's at this instant the post fails because the CPU can't operate at that high of core frequency. 2.4 can because it has a lower default multiplier.

Dualie noob here...thinking about getting a couple xeons. Could you fellas post some Sandra's of cpu mips & mem?

I have a modded IC7 coming but if that doesn't do the trick for me I might go dualie...it all depends on if the performance is attractive enough.

krag said:
Dualie noob here...thinking about getting a couple xeons. Could you fellas post some Sandra's of cpu mips & mem?

I have a modded IC7 coming but if that doesn't do the trick for me I might go dualie...it all depends on if the performance is attractive enough.

Where's the love? Anybody?............... :-/

ur question is 1) to broad 2) sidetracked from this thread's main theme. best bet is to make a new thread, and ask specifically, are u looking for amd dual vs single, intel dual xeon vs single p4, what?

MLMIB, in response to your voltage query, it is something to think about but is very very simple.

http://www.datamine.tk/overclocking/advanced/pinmods/vid_pinmod.htm
http://www.datamine.tk/overclocking/advanced/pinmods/vid_pinmod_pictures.htm

Have a read of the above links. It sounds bad at first but it really is so easy. I was scared to have a go but found it well easy and it works great. The easiest way is to put in one piece of wire per socket, to move the voltage to 1.575V.

The only other problem is the voltage for the DIMMs. most people have got away with a decent OC without doing an extra mod, but here is the link below nevertheless:

http://www.datamine.tk/overclocking/advanced/pomona_vdimm_mod.htm

I will also be considering using one of those Vdimm increasers by OCZ which are in the thread below - to easily adjust dimm voltage without messing about with stuff.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=304918

In terms of wire, I used a couple of small strands taken fro man old molex connector. They are very very thin but quite strong and are great for this purpose.

MLMIB said:
ur question is 1) to broad 2) sidetracked from this thread's main theme. best bet is to make a new thread, and ask specifically, are u looking for amd dual vs single, intel dual xeon vs single p4, what?

Been a memeber here for quite awhile. And I have answered alot of other peoples questions about hardware even though they were a little broad and off of a particular thread...don't understand why my question in this thread is a problem. Especially since I mentioned I was thinking about a couple of xeon's...I expected someone from this thread to post some benchies of thier "dual xenon setup." I guess I'm asking too much here.....

Ok my spec is in my sig:

--------------------------
Arithmetic Benchmarks:

Dhrystone ALU 17031 MIPS
Whetstone FPU/SSE2 6862/12066 MFLOPS

Multimedia Benchmarks:

Integer iSSE2 42897 it/s
Floating-Point iSSE2 59202 it/s

Not absolutely huge numbers; but it depends what you use it for. This machine just absolutely burns though 3dmax renders and saves me loads of time (Roughly takes half the time of a 3.0C / 1000FSB), plus the warm feeling of having a dually :)

Hope this helps mate.

Back