• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC-DL 800 FSB Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Polariz^ said:
Ok my spec is in my sig:

--------------------------
Arithmetic Benchmarks:

Dhrystone ALU 17031 MIPS
Whetstone FPU/SSE2 6862/12066 MFLOPS

Multimedia Benchmarks:

Integer iSSE2 42897 it/s
Floating-Point iSSE2 59202 it/s

Not absolutely huge numbers; but it depends what you use it for. This machine just absolutely burns though 3dmax renders and saves me loads of time (Roughly takes half the time of a 3.0C / 1000FSB), plus the warm feeling of having a dually :)

Hope this helps mate.

Thanks! Thats all I was asking for.
WOW! That is just unreal! What kind of memory bechies does that thing give out??

Again, my numbers arent huge compared to most people who've modded this board because my chips are only at 650bus / 390MHz DDR ( 2-3-3-7 timings ), whereas most people are using over 800FSB and higher RAM speeds. This mobo (The PC-DL) does support dual channel memory so more bandwidth is available - but I'm poor and can't afford another stick of Corsair!

-------------------------

Memory Benchmarks:

RAM Bandwidth Int Buffered iSSE2 2403 MB/s
RAM Bandwidth Float Buffered iSSE2 2421 MB/s

-----------------------

To be fair, if you do the mod that is described in this thread, this is possibly the worst set of results you will see. For success stories, PM DaveB or Fieldski - they will offer you more reasonable results :)

krag said:
Dualie noob here...thinking about getting a couple xeons. Could you fellas post some Sandra's of cpu mips & mem?

I have a modded IC7 coming but if that doesn't do the trick for me I might go dualie...it all depends on if the performance is attractive enough.
Go to my public profile for my detailed system specs. I haven't run any benchies yet and it'll be awhile before I do as I just don't see the need right now. This rig flat out screams through FAH WUs and averages 3k ppw just by itself. I haven't run any other heavy loaded apps other than FAH. I plan to eventually do real time video editing, video file encoding, rendering 3D models, Photoshop, etc. I'm kinda waiting on the results of Nocona E-0 stepping reviews before I bite and go i86-64bit OS.

Dual Xeons are too expensive just to game on or surf the net with. They are meant for very demanding server and workstation usage. But if you have the bux burnin' holes in your pockets, go for it. Mine cost me over $1700 so far as speced and I can easily sink that much more into it just to bring it up to true workstation status.

If you go with the Asus PC-DL and recycle some of your existing harware, you could put a Xeon duallie together for under $1k. The Asus NCCH-DL looks like it will be a very good board and maybe cheaper than the Iwill DH800 was.

Tough luv but luv just the same :p

well it's oem, but they're gunna be at 3.6, so I would think it's safe to assume it'll need better cooling too(aka, whats the slk 947 for xeons ^_~)

This is true. Better cooling never hurts.

I don't think Thermalright makes a Xeon cooler, but I did find a sale on two Swiftech MCX603-v Xeon coolers over HERE for $95. Or over HERE for $96. Both stores are very reputable and, between the both of them, have a good selection of accompanying fans.

Whats wrong with the SLK 948U? Its narrow and has the 4 bolt pattern and its all copper.

SLK 948U

The Xeon holes really are quite different, that heatsink wont fit I dont think.

I'm using the standard heatsinks that came with my Xeons - a bit noisy but does the job. I always play music at high volume or earphones so it doesnt bother me.

CPU1 idle: 34
CPU2 idle: 31
VRM idle: 32

CPU1 max: 52
CPU2 max: 48
VRM max: 43

That's at the max voltage you can get on this board.

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=p4hsf2ghz&page=4
Heatsink w/o shroud. Results on page 8, and they really like it.

http://support.intel.com/support/processors/xeon/sb/CS-007773.htm
Shroud on the processor. If I remember correctly the stock fan does 8k rpm:eek::eek: DaveB has modded this to take some 80mm fans, hopefully he could explain in more detail what he did.

Considering the shroud is like $10-15 bucks and you already have the heatsink from the Xeon retail package, its an almost no-brainer for me unless you want to use water/pelt/etc.

intel stock fans go up to 5k rpm, they get quite noisy... I followed DaveB's idea of getting the 60-80mm fan adapter, but what he did was he had to cut slices in the adapter so it could clip in into the fan holder... (the fan holder doesn't use screws, it just uses clips) but unfortuately the fan adapter i had was going to be hard to mod... so i decided to take 2x 60mm fans and cut out the fan portion so you just have the housing. You could do this with the stock intels if you don't have any other 60mm fans... then i used the 60-80mm and mounted the 60mm onto the intel fan which clipped onto the holder and then i mounted the 80mm fan onto the adapter.

This made the fan stick out quite a bit more than normal and pretty much blocked my rear 120mm fan and i was getting about 40c idle, and 60c load temps. The 80mm fan was only like 2 inches away from the side of the case.

From there i made a vent in my case so it sucks air directly from outside and now my temps are 34c idle, 55c load.

http://dc5e.no-ip.com:85/Comp/Comp.jpg
http://dc5e.no-ip.com:85/Comp/Adapter.jpg

disk11 said:
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=p4hsf2ghz&page=4
Heatsink w/o shroud. Results on page 8, and they really like it.

http://support.intel.com/support/processors/xeon/sb/CS-007773.htm
Shroud on the processor. If I remember correctly the stock fan does 8k rpm:eek::eek: DaveB has modded this to take some 80mm fans, hopefully he could explain in more detail what he did.

Considering the shroud is like $10-15 bucks and you already have the heatsink from the Xeon retail package, its an almost no-brainer for me unless you want to use water/pelt/etc.
The 60mm to 80mm adapters cost $1.99 each at a local Micro Center Store or $1.49 plus shipping on line. The Cooler Master fans were $5 a piece. Here's a link to the 80mm fan mod.

Back