• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC underperforming with 2600x and GTX 1080

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DSOThorn

Hey there, so I noticed that my PC has not really been performing as well as I believe it should be. I have a Ryzen 5 2600x, 16GB DDR4 3600Mhz (clocked to 3200Mhz) RAM, and a GTX 1080 8GB. Playing Modern Warfare, I noticed my framerate was around 100-130 FPS on normal settings with this build, though before on my i7 4770 build I had with the same GPU, i would get 160FPS on ultra settings at 1080p. I ran some benchmarks, and specifically, one I noticed that worried me was the unigine Superposition benchmark. My score was around 4005, with the average score being around 5000+. Im really not sure whats wrong, and its worrying me. Is my GPU just not functioning properly? Is windows just screwing my performance? Im not sure. I tried using DDU, disabling fast startup and fastboot (ive heard that helps performance sometimes), and im not sure what else to do. I would really appreciate it if someone could help.

Lastly, I dont know if it means anything but I noticed in CPU z in the graphics tab there is a thing called "perf level" and it says my 1080 is at perf level 0. I noticed in my BIOS there was a performance level for some things, but I left it on auto. I dont know if thats related or not but its worth mentioning.

Thank you

(If you wanna add me on discord and help me in greater detail, my discord is DSOThorn#0527).

If Superposition is like Heaven, it is totally dependent on the GPU. One way to test if the CPU is holding you back is to decrease the resolution and or detail which will place lessen the demand on the GPU but not the CPU. If scores don't improve, the CPU is holding you back.

My feeling is a 2600x should out perform the 4770, but if it was highly overclocked it could be a step down.

What motherboard are you using? Are you using the most up to date BIOS for your CPU? There have been some odd things with AMD bios and performance. Are you reaching a single core boost of 4200MHz? Have you installed the latest AMD chipset drivers? What windows power plan are you using?

Are these frame rates both in modern warfare or have you gone into warzone for the newest FPS check? It may be a daft question but the reason I ask is that with my 5700XT I get 140fps avg in modern warfare, medium settings. However I get around 100 FPS avg in warzone. This is coupled with a r5 1600. Of course your cpu is slightly better than mine and I do think my cpu is holding my back maybe 5%, however for the most part the game is heavily reliant on the gpu.

Other things are, there have been a lot of patches to this game which may have made some graphical changes. Have you updated drivers to the latest? Or even rolled back to an older driver for your gpu?

My feeling is a 2600x should out perform the 4770, but if it was highly overclocked it could be a step down.

What motherboard are you using? Are you using the most up to date BIOS for your CPU? There have been some odd things with AMD bios and performance. Are you reaching a single core boost of 4200MHz? Have you installed the latest AMD chipset drivers? What windows power plan are you using?

I don't have it overclocked. Everythings at stock. I also have the most up to date BIOS on my Asus ROG Strix B450-F. How would I check if im reaching that single core boost? Yes ive installed the latest drivers, and im on high performance for power settings.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Are these frame rates both in modern warfare or have you gone into warzone for the newest FPS check? It may be a daft question but the reason I ask is that with my 5700XT I get 140fps avg in modern warfare, medium settings. However I get around 100 FPS avg in warzone. This is coupled with a r5 1600. Of course your cpu is slightly better than mine and I do think my cpu is holding my back maybe 5%, however for the most part the game is heavily reliant on the gpu.

Other things are, there have been a lot of patches to this game which may have made some graphical changes. Have you updated drivers to the latest? Or even rolled back to an older driver for your gpu?

Those framerates are in Modern Warfare Multiplayer. I usually have to play Warzone on low to get 100-130 FPS generally. I would roll back the driver, but I used DDU so I dont believe I can do that anymore. However, if you know how, I would totally try it. My GPU driver is on the most recent one.

Sorry I meant if the 4770(k) was highly overclocked. But anyway, you can use something like Riva Tuner (included with MSI Afterburner, also plugs in with HWiNFO64) to display performance metrics in an on screen display (OSD) while gaming. You can also do something like a run of cinebench R15 with one core to see. With a load like CB it will not sit at the max boost clock for long, but it should hopefully reach it. While gaming ideally you'll be reaching that speed fairly often.

I ran Cinebench and my score was slightly above the average for the 2600x so thats promising. Ill check with rivatuner/afterburner. Thank you!

Back