• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

phase change how-to guilds?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Warlord2

are there any good guilds that should you step by step on how to make a OK phase change system? if not I would REALLY like for some of those cooling experts out there to show me/us how to make an "OK" cooling system, none of that fancy stuff, just the basics, I would like something that looks sorta like a vapochill and uses freon that is easy to get, none of that license stuff.

This is a really complex subject and the design of systems is in the realm of graduate chemical engineers. Most of the really good home made systems(2) that I have seen have been built by people in the refrigeration trade i.e. they work with refrigeration daily. It requires in depth knowledge of the principles and access to a large number of special tools and equipment.
A simpler approach is the refrigerated chiller. I wrote an article on a very cheap and simple route which you will find here .

im working up just such a guide it will be done in a few days

sweet thanks ssjwizard,

hmm is there any small water chilled system guildes out there? I would like something that doesnt take up THAT much room but it can be something that is bigger thin the normaly computer case.

Im just looking for a way to cool this computer, it just gets too hot in the desert even for a watercooled computer...that and I really need a new project hehe.

i hear you about the desert i live in nm with a bong i got pretty decent temps but it realy wasnt worth it phaze coolers are so worth the effort

yes I bet they are, the bad part is, I payed about half the price of a phase change system just on my watercooling setup. Now I have to sink some more money on parts for a phase change system. Total I could of bought a vapochill for what Im going to pay. The good part is, I learned how to do watercooling pretty well and got to do a lot of case mods:)

Tiger, I have some questions on your setup:

1. When you were putting the coldplate of the freezer into the liquid, did you have to keep the pipes going into it in the orignial positions? As the freezer normally sits above the compressor, did you bend the pipes leading into the freezer to allow you to position the tub beside the compressor?

2. Did you ever think of using two of the freezer systems in the one tub to chill the water? Seeing as they are cheap, you could do it and really chill the water. Or do the compressors eat up to much electricity to use two together?

3. If you made your setup with two freezers, and then used a 220W pelt and coldplate bewteen the block and CPU, what temps do you think it could get? The water temp may go up more, but it should help get the core well below zero!

I know a Lot of insulation would be needed, but if you are gonna go this far, I think a bit of extra work insulating the system is ok.
I think I will start planning this for when I get my Hammer system.

Last edited:
Back