• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom/Barcelona Reviews/Previews and Pre-release Discussion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm still trying to justify it. I'll get phenoms for the AM2 boards which may buy some time until I can see more Barcs out. After looking at the dark side, I see some great CPUs but I don't like the Mobos.

Meh, looks like K10 isn't going to turn the tables around. If AMD doesn't do anything drastic in the next 3 months, my next rig will be probably based on an Intel Penryn quad.

dan
This was a server comparison and shame on AMD for not having some 2.5G procs available for that test. When you raise the speed of the barcelona to the intel speeds it comes a lot closer. One other advantage with the intel is it is running quad channel ram raising the effective bandwidth. The biggest problem remains the dollar cost to purchase.

Phenom, don't discount it yet. In a week someone will be getting one and pushing it to see what it will do. WindWithMe took one to 3.0G or higher a while back but I don't remember it's standing. You will see $300 2.4G Phenoms before you find a Penryn under $500 bucks.

Phenom, don't discount it yet. In a week someone will be getting one and pushing it to see what it will do. WindWithMe took one to 3.0G or higher a while back but I don't remember it's standing. You will see $300 2.4G Phenoms before you find a Penryn under $500 bucks.

Well, we'll see, I hope your assumptions are right. Yeah, and the sub $500 Penryns are set for January, but I'm upgrading around March, so that really doesn't make a difference.

dan

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2007/gigabyte/GA-MA790FX-DQ6/b1.htm

First 'proper' (p)review, though the gaming benchmarks are pretty much redundant due to GPU bottlenecking with the 2600XT. OCworkbench compare a GP-9600 with an underclocked QX6700 @ 2.3GHz.

As expected, Phenom is generally slower clock for clock. Doesn't bode too well for AMD, considering the GP-9600 is supposed to cost over $300 right? A Q6600 would beat it in pretty much all 'real world' benches going by this showing.

The game benches are useless but the OC is crap on this proc.
Now add that the Q6600 runs at 2.4G for 270$ from January 9300 at 2.5G and you have something to spank the Phenom FXes for 270$ ? X38 and a 8400 seems to be my upgrade.

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2007/gigabyte/GA-MA790FX-DQ6/b1.htm

First 'proper' (p)review, though the gaming benchmarks are pretty much redundant due to GPU bottlenecking with the 2600XT. OCworkbench compare a GP-9600 with an underclocked QX6700 @ 2.3GHz.

As expected, Phenom is generally slower clock for clock. Doesn't bode too well for AMD, considering the GP-9600 is supposed to cost over $300 right? A Q6600 would beat it in pretty much all 'real world' benches going by this showing.

Its not too much slower, suprisingly close actually. However looking at that OC, it looks like I might be moving to intel for my next rig.. and that just makes me sad.

You with me 'Bama, or are you still holding on?

Truthfully, I wouldn't blow money on a whole intel system till the Nehas with it's DDR3, IMC and Triple channel ram. Penryn attracted me until I looked at the mobos and what is required to put a system together. If you have the money then great, you can get the latest now and then build another next year.

As much the high end neha will cost with IMC and all that's gonna be well in 2009 to really worth buying one, in the midrange IMCless nehas will compete with AMD.

I keep my AM2 and upgrade the 939 in january to an E8400 would be surprised to see it loose over 4G to a Phenom.

Back