• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II 965 Running slow?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darur

Hey folks,

I just picked up a Phenom II 965. After I installed it everything seemed to run nicely (I even set the multiplier to 18x with no trouble), but my system seems to be running really slow now. When I check System in control panel, it says AMD Processor Unknown Model @ 3.7GHz, but when I run OCCT it says my CPU is at 800 MHz (4x 200Mhz). I ran SuperPi 1M and that took 1.5 minutes, and my framerates on 3dmark06 dropped by half.

I manually set the HTT freq to 200Mhz, and the multi to 18. I haven't played around much with this motherboard, so I don't know the BIOS as well as I like, but my only other guess is the HT Link Frequency setting which I have on auto (not sure what that setting is, can anyone clarify how its different from the HTT?)

I'm stumped with whats going on here.

Motherboard: Gigabyte MA790GP DS4H

Everything else is the same as in my sig.

I've installed the AMD drivers for the processor with no luck. Running Windows XP SP3. I think I read some stuff about SP3 not working well with Phenom or something, but I cant recall where.

Any ideas? I really appreciate it

Last edited:
Have you looked at C1E state and CnQ in the BIOS? Those are the only two things I can think of outside of not plugging in one of the power cables to your GPU or CPU.

I'm not familiar with that motherboard, but it looks like its not recognizing your cpu properly. I'd update your BIOS, and as Dolk said, try turning off Cool n Quiet.

Thanks for the replies, fellas!

CNQ is turned off, I can't find any settings for C1E, I don't think my motherbord supports that.

I'm starting to think flashing the BIOS is the only way, never done it before, anything I need to know?

Check the manufacturer's forums for recommended bios flashing for your motherboard.

Your SuperPi 1M score is far too long time wise.

Gigabyte motherboards have a utility that will update BIOS in windows, but that method makes some people nervous...if anything goes wrong, well I don't know what would happen but probably something bad. Download the latest BIOS from Gigabyte and load it on a flash drive. There will be an update option in your BIOS, navigate to the flash drive and select the file, its not difficult.

I've always used the gigabyte program that runs in windows with zero issues.

Hrmm, just flashed it, seemed to go smoothly, looks like its running at appropriate speeds now. The only thing is CoreTemp is reporting really high temperatures (* > 60C), which seems very weird. BIOS reports 30C so I don't know which to believe. When I seated the new processor the TIM didn't spread as nicely as I would like, but I don't think that would explain a 30 degree difference in temps.

I've never used CoreTemp, you could try downloading AMD Overdrive or HW Monitor for checking your temps.

HW monitor agrees with coretemp, but I'll try AMD overdrive once OCCT finishes.

Is it possible that my CPU voltage is too high? It's at the default (1.40V)

OCCT is showing the same temps, but heres the kicker: The idle temps are practically identical to the load temps.

I've been running the Linpack test for the last 9 hours (doing 12 on Linpack, then 12 on regular OCCT, then 24 on Orthos, yes, overkill, but I'm a stability hound :D) and the temps have gone up all of 4 degrees at most.

Even if theres some explanation of how the CPU could be using the same power as if its at full load while at idle, the air coming out the back of the case is much warmer when it's being stressed then when its not (as unreliable a test as that is).

I'm baffled :confused:

I'm away from the computer at the moment, but IIRC the CPU temp was the same as the temp being given by coretemp and the cores in OCCT, which seems even odder.

I know that all 4 cores are being listed as having the exact same temp.

EDIT: Just realized there was a typo in the original post, motherboard is a Gigabyte MA790GP DS4H

Last edited:
The Phenom's and Athlon II's only have one temp sensor on the die. A lot of programs display four temps, one for each core, but that's not really correct since there's only one sensor to read ...

I'm really behind right now on everything related to CPUs sadly, the last time I was looking into this stuff heavily, Conroe was blowing everyones minds :p

On further review, HW Monitor is giving me a different temp for the CPU, right now 2 hours into the OCCT test, it's showing 51C, but its readings for the core seem to be stuck. I'm wondering if maybe those "core temps" are just broken and the CPU temp is the only one working. I'm going to try and install AMD overdrive and see what I get.

At boot, while idle, HWMonitor Gives:

CPU: 47 C

OCCT gives: 62 C on each core

AMD Overdrive agrees with OCCT

At 100% load after 2 minutes, the temps are:

HWMonitor: 48 C

OCCT: 61 C per core

That has got to be some kind of glitch in the BIOS. Not that it will change temp readings any but what cooler are you using?

You might want to disable the TLB Patch if you haven't already. I doubt that will effect your temp readings but it's not needed for your CPU. I looked for C1E in the manual and couldn't find it either.

Do you have SpeedFan disabled ...?

Back