• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plastic PC case, some assembly required.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Old Thrashbarg

It's a brilliant idea in its simplicity, though I have my doubts about the actual feasability of it, once you start putting heavy heatsinks and video cards in there. The entire thing only weighs about 5 pounds...

I totally want one of the translucent black ones.

should be ok for people running stock stuff but the second you put any weight in it i can see a pile of plastic shards.lol

I'm guessing it's the same sort of ABS plastic that case faceplates are made out of. Certainly not the strongest stuff in the world, by any means, but, yeah, I could see it being able to handle a basic system, and depending on how the bracing is set up maybe a mid-range gaming rig. SLI 8800's? Notsomuch.

I rather suspect it relies on the HDs, opticals and PSU to be screwed in tightly to help give it structural integrity. Even so, it's weak point is probably in the spots where the individual pieces snap together. I can't really see from the pictures how that part works.

Edit: I bet modding that thing would be a breeze, though. About all you'd need is a sharp knife, and maybe some superglue. :p

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if some systems just melted it.

Would that be, like, a badge of honor? "My computer's so fast, it melted the case!" :attn:

As for price, it looks like they're around $40, depending on exchange rates now... not too bad, I guess, but you can get an OK metal one for that much.

well I hope they are strong enough. I would rather mod plastic than metal. I hate working with metal.

--pak

I rather suspect it relies on the HDs, opticals and PSU to be screwed in tightly to help give it structural integrity. Even so, it's weak point is probably in the spots where the individual pieces snap together. I can't really see from the pictures how that part works.

Edit: I bet modding that thing would be a breeze, though. About all you'd need is a sharp knife, and maybe some superglue. :p

Problem with that is that if you knock it about too much then its starts to rip your lovely data filled HDDs into pieces. Well maybe not but you cant break the casing on a HDD otherwise thats it.
As for moding it.... a heated peice of cheese wire or similar would do it, or even some dremel engraver work.Simple.

Back