• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help. I need an LCD monitor but I have no clue what to buy.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trottel

Hi, I need to buy a new monitor for gaming, but I'm really not sure what to get, and all the choices available are making my head spin. I also don't know how much I should spend for a good monitor, but obviously I don't want to waste my money on something either.

Anyway, the criteria I am sure of (or think I'm sure of) are 1080p resolution, 75Hz refresh rate, and 2ms response time. There shouldn't be any difference between any models that meet these criteria, right? But I'm confused because I can't find the refresh rate for any monitors, at least not like that. It is always a range for vertical and a range for horizontal. Does it mean that if both the horizontal and vertical refresh rates go over 75Hz, the monitor has a 75Hz refresh rate or something? While I have been doing research I came across something else, input lag. How can I find out how much input lag different monitors have? Also size doesn't matter for me at all. I just want something that has great gaming specs.

I miss my old CRT. Back then things were so much simpler and I didn't have to worry about so much.

The good thing with screens is that you dont always need to purchase the top brands for top picture quality etc. I have an el cheapo 32inch LCD and its great. crystal clear and vibrant images :) couldn't be happier.

I got the monitor about an hour ago. Looks good so far. The only problem is that it only came with a VGA cable and it only does 60Hz at 1080p.

Back