• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help with my 1st build...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dragonfyr

Registered
Hi there,

I really need some help, iv asked so many people but no one seems to have the time nor effort. :/

Iv wanted to build a new system for a few years, but every time i get the cash, i have to pay bills! Recently i got a good job :), and in just over 1 month il get my first wage packet!

With it i plan on buying parts for a build. But there is so many options!!

So... I need help with getting all the parts right, so i don't mess the build up.

Il want this pc to be top of its class. So for max setting gaming and high graphical usage (Fast Rendering) (Graphic Design, HD Video animation etc).

So far these are the components that iv put together....

Tower:
Cooler Master Cosmos II
I really want this tower, it's big and wicked! Hope it fits the below spec's?

MOBO: Not a clue which one to choose??
Asus Sabertooth X79
Asus Sabertooth Z77 << I like this one.
Asus P8Z77-v
I think they're the best boards for what i need it for.
Iv heard some of those MOBO's can be controlled / monitored via my iPhone (4s), which id like to be able to do! :)

CPU:
I think id like an i7 3rd gen for it's Hyper Threading Capabilities. (Iv heard that's good for rendering). I'd prefer to go with Intel.

So far i see 4 - 7 (i think) different i7's to choose from. (4 are compatible with the Z77 mobo).

GFX:
I really like the look of this one "Asus Radeon HD 7970 DirectCU II 3gb GDDR5 PCI-E 3.0 Dual DVI". Is it a good choice for what i want?

PSU:
Iv heard Corsair is good. I was looking at a 1200w Corsair supply, but iv heard that might be overkill??

RAM:
Haven't looked into this, however 16 GB / 32 GB would be good. And id prefer to keep it Corsair.

HDD / SSD:
I'd like an SSD as iv heard that they are good for faster response times / performance?

CPU Cooler:
Well with the Z77 being so protected with dust covers, im not sure which cooler to get (Id prefer to keep it AIR and NOT water cooling). So, the CoolerMaster V6 cooler looks good, but im not sure if it's the best / will fit?? Im open to suggestions on this.

Other Cooling:
Haven't looked into this, but id like blue lighting! lol :)

Screen:
Right, for this i'd really like to stick to a dual screen setup. The screens must support the graphics card and perform at max levels.

Prefer method of purchase:
eBay / Amazon.

I REALLY hope this is the last place i have to ask for help. Just want someone to give me some good sound advice as this is important to me. As this may show why, my current system is... AMD 3200+ (2ghz Single Core), 3GB ram, 1GB Radeon HD Graphics, Dual VGA flat screen 19" monitors. (Yes i know it's rubbish).

Kind Regards,
Gary.
Also, im from the UK if that makes any difference. And as for my budget, il buy 1 screen for now, then the other one. Apart from that, im not really bothered about how long it takes, a couple of months (wages) should do it. So around £1500 GBP.

Last edited:
Maybe read a bunch of threads here, get a cold one and read for a few hours. You'll see what others end up getting. Your going to see a big Knufire questionaire pop up today, so spend a few hours learning while you wait and maybe read a bit before filling in the blanks.

Don't rush it, it takes time.

Maybe read a bunch of threads here, get a cold one and read for a few hours. You'll see what others end up getting. Your going to see a big Knufire questionaire pop up today, so spend a few hours learning while you wait and maybe read a bit before filling in the blanks.

Don't rush it, it takes time.

I do understand where you are coming from, and if i had the time i would do that. But, i just don't. Im up at 6am and get home for 7-10pm :/.

So i do need some help just identifying the parts and going from there.

If no one want's to help, it's fine. Il just cry! lol. Seriously though, it's fine.

EDIT: And to be honest, iv read loads to get where im at, at the moment. It takes a lot of reading to get all that ^^ info. I haven't bothered with the inside of PC's for like... 8 years! So iv missed a lot.

Gaz.

Last edited:
PC building is a hobby and not something we can toss a list too. If that's what you need read for a few days and you'll find it with others inputs. You list has a lot of holes about whats good/not good.

You sure don't need a 1200 watt PSU. What 3rd gen? They have numbers like 3570k/non k designator, 3370, 3990K. Yea, Z77 for that CPU set is good. You need wireless or bluetooth on the mobo?

We'll get you there, you do what you can. Give it a good start, and let it develop for a week or two. With all of us helping with your efforts we'll make a good list.

We can't hold your hand though, that's what PC stores do, we are free though.

PC building is a hobby and not something we can toss a list too. If that's what you need read for a few days and you'll find it with others inputs. You list has a lot of holes about whats good/not good.

You sure don't need a 1200 watt PSU. What 3rd gen? They have numbers like 3570k/non k designator, 3370, 3990K. Yea, Z77 for that CPU set is good. You need wireless or bluetooth on the mobo?

We'll get you there, you do what you can. Give it a good start, and let it develop for a week or two. With all of us helping with your efforts we'll make a good list.

We can't hold your hand though, that's what PC stores do, we are free though.

Thanks.

Yea of course im willing to do the hard work, i don't want anyone to hold my hand. I just need help with getting the right bits together. Don't want to find out that the cpu cooler doesn't fit that type of mobo, or the mobo won't fit that case, etc etc.

I could easily type a load of questions here right now, but frankly im sure you guys can't be doing with that as im sure you get asked zillions of times the same stuff. And, i want this PC to be mine. Not just to own it, but to say "I build that". Also, if i didn't see this as a hobby, id just goto PC World and buy some crappy tower.

Third gen, I thought the i5 / i7 processors are listed in a way that the first number represents what generation of processor it is. So i5-2500k (2 being 2nd gen and the 3 in "i7-3770k" being a 3rd gen. (Most recent) Maybe i just made that up? lol Sorry.

As for wireless / bluetooth on a mobo. Not really. But i thought it was cool lol. So maybe just get the Z77?

And, yes il have a read over stuff, when i can.

And im not in any rush, as i said, my first wage packet isn't for another month yet, and even then i don't mind waiting / taking my time :)

Thanks again,
Gaz.

Yep, that's exactly the type of information i need. Think i need to take this a step at a time, like giving each component a good read over.

So... Cosmos II... lol

Anyway, It is getting late and i have to be up early, so il give this a better look over tomorrow.

Thanks a lot :)
Gaz.

Well this is what I would get for a well balanced build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-2700K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($75.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($96.49 @ B&H)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($305.98 @ NCIX US)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($149.91 @ Amazon)
Case: BitFenix Raider ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard ($64.00 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech G400 Wired Optical Mouse ($37.34 @ Amazon)
Total: $1532.62
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-30 17:30 EDT-0400)

That CM Cosmos is way overpriced, so I picked a case with a similar style for you to check out. The keyboard and mouse are the same ones I use, their probably the best deal you can get in terms of mouse and mechanical keyboard imo. I guess you change the GPU if you want to go ati or get a better one. Also if you don't want to upgrade your CPU in the future you can save some money and get a Z68 motherboard. But this list should get you started. Also, NCIX has a price match option so you can price match all the parts and save on shipping by ordering everything from them.

Cosmos is a great case. I like understated, and no need for something big for these needs. I spent 2-4 hours with ideas on caces and started googling cases and reviews till I found the one I needed. It's quaility, good cooling and no bling bling at all. It's a quality PC black case.

I hate having 10 tabs open to decide and I get all confused. Glad it's not a job, LOL.

Ohh there are some great UK places, I dunno, we have some UK members here.

Well this is what I would get for a well balanced build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-2700K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($75.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($96.49 @ B&H)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($305.98 @ NCIX US)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($149.91 @ Amazon)
Case: BitFenix Raider ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard ($64.00 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech G400 Wired Optical Mouse ($37.34 @ Amazon)
Total: $1532.62
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-30 17:30 EDT-0400)

That CM Cosmos is way overpriced, so I picked a case with a similar style for you to check out. The keyboard and mouse are the same ones I use, their probably the best deal you can get in terms of mouse and mechanical keyboard imo. I guess you change the GPU if you want to go ati or get a better one. Also if you don't want to upgrade your CPU in the future you can save some money and get a Z68 motherboard. But this list should get you started. Also, NCIX has a price match option so you can price match all the parts and save on shipping by ordering everything from them.

I took a look at that case, but i don't really like it. I have searched literally hundreds of cases, over the space of a few months, and it's either between the Cosmos II OR the HAF 932 AMD Limited Edition.

As for mouse and keyboard. Im currently using the Razer Mamba gaming mouse and the Microsoft Wave Keyboard. So il be keeping the mouse but probably changing to the Logitech G19.

And as for going to bed, im off after this smoke... lol

Thanks again, that's a great list and im sure it will give me a good read tomorrow :)

Gaz

Cosmos is a great case. I like understated, and no need for something big for these needs. I spent 2-4 hours with ideas on caces and started googling cases and reviews till I found the one I needed. It's quaility, good cooling and no bling bling at all. It's a quality PC black case.

I hate having 10 tabs open to decide and I get all confused. Glad it's not a job, LOL.

Ohh there are some great UK places, I dunno, we have some UK members here.

Just 10 tabs??? hahaha. I know the feeling!

Yea, well as i just said in my previous reply, the Cosmos II or HAF 932 AMD Limited Edition are my two main choices for a case as yes, iv spent far too bloody long looking at cases! lol

Cheers

Get to bed, get that first check, keep reading then we'll get down to brass tacks and bread pudding over a good ale.

Not a clue what that means, but ok. hahaha!

Gnite and thanks, think il stick around here. Happy im getting some help, at last! :))

I took a look at that case, but i don't really like it. I have searched literally hundreds of cases, over the space of a few months, and it's either between the Cosmos II OR the HAF 932 AMD Limited Edition.

As for mouse and keyboard. Im currently using the Razer Mamba gaming mouse and the Microsoft Wave Keyboard. So il be keeping the mouse but probably changing to the Logitech G19.

And as for going to bed, im off after this smoke... lol

Thanks again, that's a great list and im sure it will give me a good read tomorrow :)

Gaz

Do yourself a favor and get a mechanical keyboard instead of that G19.

You guys miss the fact he's British? :p Scan.co.uk, for sure. Prices are relatively higher there compared to the US (relatively higher everywhere else in the world, for that matter). Monitor, grab a Catleap Q270 from Ebay, might run you about 250GBP.

Capture.JPG

Spend the rest on a good mechanical keyboard, like KMO suggested.

Last edited:
Buy your PSU last after you've decided what else you're going to get. Or at least approximately what you're going to get then use a PSU calculator to figure what you'll need. You can try this one: http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html or others, they vary a little, but you can always add 50-100w if you think it's necessary.

One of the issues you can run into buying computer parts through ebay is warranty issues. Sometimes the sellers are resellers of new parts and not factory authorized sellers and this can mess with your warranty...ask me how I found out :( That said, my warranty return rate for stuff I buy is about 2% so, this may not be a big concern for you.

kmo_9000
I already have the microsoft wave keyboard. but iv wanted an upgrade for years, so a bog standard mechanical keyboard isn't what il be going for. Thanks anyway :)

Knufire
Thanks, thats a good list. Had a look over it. So is that processor one of the best i7's on the market? It seems like it.

montaillou
That is a good point about both the PSU and the warranty. Something i will look into as well.

Id really like the Asus Sabertooth Z77 motherboard, as it's "dust defenders" and design really impress me. As well as the bios and other options it comes with, But if i can get a better mobo then so be it, im open to suggestions.

I don't mind spending good money on items, as long as they will last me a while.

Thanks guys :)

EDIT: From now on il start listing my build like this...

So far, these are the part's i am getting:
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II. 100% Sure.
CPU: i7 3770k Ivy Bridge. 90% Sure.
MOBO: Not Sure.
GFX: Not Sure.
PSU: Not Sure.
RAM: Not Sure.
HDD / SDD: Not Sure.
CPU Cooler: Not Sure.
Other:

Last edited:
Why are you getting that case? The only thing that would remotely justify getting that case was if you were planning to do dual custom water loops with multiple GPUs. And even at that point the NZXT Switch 810 is going to be nearly as good.

And to get that case and stick inside that budget, the money is probably going to come out of the video card. Why anyone would want a fancy case over more performance, I have no idea. :shrug:. Build to perform, not to impress.

The TUFF jacket is a complete gimmick. Doesn't really do much other than looks.

The 3770K is the only overclockable Ivy Bridge CPU on the 1155 socket.

Why are you getting that case? The only thing that would remotely justify getting that case was if you were planning to do dual custom water loops with multiple GPUs. And even at that point the NZXT Switch 810 is going to be nearly as good.

And to get that case and stick inside that budget, the money is probably going to come out of the video card. Why anyone would want a fancy case over more performance, I have no idea. :shrug:. Build to perform, not to impress.

The TUFF jacket is a complete gimmick. Doesn't really do much other than looks.

The 3770K is the only overclockable Ivy Bridge CPU on the 1155 socket.

I want that case as its HUGE! lol. Seriously though, it is big, and iv looked at so many cases. That one and the HAF 932 AMD LE is the other choice.

Also, My Budget is flexible.

As for the processor. Well seeing as that is one of the key components, i am willing to spend good money on it.

As for the TUFF bit, i thought that was a good point! (Guess im gullible lol). But the BIOS is a great point to it as well.

So far, these are the part's i am getting:
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II. 50% Sure.
Case Option 2: HAF 932 AMD Limited Edition. 50%.
CPU: i7 3770k Ivy Bridge. 60% Sure.
MOBO: Not Sure.
GFX: Not Sure.
PSU: Not Sure.
RAM: Not Sure.
HDD / SDD: Not Sure.
CPU Cooler: Not Sure.
Other:

Last edited:
Back