• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please tell me whatz causing these random Reboots?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bazooka

Registered
Hi,
I got the following system:

1)2.4C Ghz Processor
2)Abit IC7-G Max
3)Geil PC4000 512mb (2x256mb) RAM
4)Antec TrueControl 550Watt Powersupply
5)ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128mb
6)Creative Audigy Sound Card
7)2x SeaGate Harddrives (40 + 60GB) 7200RPM Barracuda
8)Sony DVD-ROM
9)Lite-On Cd-ReWriter 52x
10)UsRobotics External Modem
11)Sp-94 Heatsink with Tornado 119CFM 92mm Fan
12)2x 92mm and 80mm Case Fans
13)Floppy Drive [blush]

Ok now heres the thing,

I bought the 2.4C processor 2 months ago,and was able to overclock it absolutely ROCK STABLE at 3.54Ghz at 1.65Vcore.I primed95 these settings for many hours and no errors were shown.
I played a lot at 3.5Ghz with no reboots at all.Until recently(1 week) i am experiencing strange reboots which are random in nature like they can occur anytime but most commonly when i click on any .EXE file or any Mpg video etc,or sometimes during playin Games even.

Now this happens only if the system is overclocked.It is now doin this at 3.0Ghz even [cry] ,At 2.4Ghz it doesnt reboot at all.

The things that got added in my computer in the last 2 weeks are as follows,

1)1 60Gb Harddrive (as written above in the parts list)
2)2x 92mm and 80mm Case Fans (as written above in the parts list)
3)Installed New Bios for Abit Motherboard(EDIT:I installed a new bios from Abits site again today,but still i experienced a reboot :(

Do u think that these reboots are due to my Powersupply??!
I purchased it for 135$'s,common if this really is the case then this aint fair [cry]

So plz tell me what i should do?

Thanks a lot in Advance.

how about trying to go back to your old bios...
I know it sounds strange, but hey, it was working for ya before.

give it a go, and let us know.

mica

How about reinstalling the operating system? I've had reboot problems go away (for a while at least) when I've formatted and reinstalled the OS.

Ok heres the thing now,
After 2 weeks of bearing the reboots(was really busy),i finally tried to fix this $#@$#@ problem.(Oh and btw now reboots are not the only things that occur,but infact BSOD also appear now and then with an error of BAD_POOL_CALLER,anyway,

Here is what happened yesterday:

1)I formatted my C:\ Partition
2)Started WinXP install through I386 Folder like i always used to do without any problems.
3)At 70% of the setup of WinXP the Computer Restarted
4)WTF?!!
5)i took out one of the pair of my Geil RAM
6)Again the same thing occured.
7)I used the other one,Setup hanged at 90% :(
8)I took out 1 harddrive,Setup Hanged at 50% :(
9)LikeWise with the other harddrive,No go :'(
10)Again placed *everything*(yup i mean Everything) inside :S
11)Dunno how but Setup got complete
12)After Completion and installing stuff,i finally started PainKiller
13)In the Middle of the Bloody Game,it again got Restarted
(UpTill now the system is All At Default Speeds)
14)Checked for Viruses,nothin.
15)Installed OLD Motherboard Bios= still random restarts :(
16)Removed the System Fans,STILL NUTHING.
17)Overclocked to 3.6Ghz, :S, still restarts.
All these restarts as mentioned above,usually occur if i play a video or play a game,but it may not occur immediately,sometimes i can play the game for 15 mins,and the Videos for 30-1Hrs.

Now the thing that is REALLY Bothering me,I ran Prime95 for like 2 Hours on 3.6Ghz and NO RESTARTS OR ANY BSOD's ?!?!?
I ran Memtest and completed the test *WITHOUT* any errors???!?!

And here are the Pics of "Hardware Monitor" with and Without Prime95 Running in the Background.

http://img22.photobucket.com/albums/v66/bazooka/During_Prime.jpg

http://img22.photobucket.com/albums/v66/bazooka/After_Prime95.jpg

Now plz tell me what is going wrong here?!
Is it because of these things?

1)My Antec Power Supply?
2)4.4 Catalyst Drivers?
3)Anything to do with My mobo Drivers(Didnt touched these)

What else :(?

Please Help Thanks.

Try the 4.2 Catalysts or a different video card if you have an old one laying around... it could be the vid card. Just guessing though.

Last edited:
no doubt,! try the vid card. also make sure that the vid card is not getting to hot.(prob if you have one) i have had reboots from the vid card getting to hot.about 139-145F on my 9800pro(from an improper hsf install), so check the card fan or put a case fan under the card.
good luck

u might have i dont kno how but u might have unlocked your PCI/AGP...LOCK IT first thing......second go to www.driverheaven.net and get tools to purge whatever driver you have for the video cards out of there and install brand new ones.....as they said make sure your Vcard isnt getting to HOT because as to my experience also that was the case with me.....could also be your PSU....try a different PSU if u have one

Back