• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plugging in this pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stolid

Anybody help me plug in my pump that Shadow sent me - it's a "Rio 600" pump and it's wires are a light blue and a dark yellow/brownish color. Shad didn't send me any information on this pump - Heck - is it A.C. or D.C. - I dunno. Anyone know? Thanks

Stolid

Stolid (Jun 28, 2001 01:25 p.m.):
Anybody help me plug in my pump that Shadow sent me - it's a "Rio 600" pump and it's wires are a light blue and a dark yellow/brownish color. Shad didn't send me any information on this pump - Heck - is it A.C. or D.C. - I dunno. Anyone know? Thanks

Stolid

It's an AC pump, but I don't know about the wire colors.

I thought it was AC, but every one I've seen has a plug on it, I'm really hesitant to just plug this into a wall socket - yuck - don't wanna get my arm burned off. Any ideas why Shadow would've cut off the plug? I'm waiting for a reply from him but he's so hard to contact and I'm a bit impatient right now.

He actually sent it *in* one of those - exactly the same one as a matter of fact. The question I have is how to reconnect it, is there a reason he didn't replace the plug, nor did he send the plug, nor did he send any heat-shrink to seal the plug -- considering all the problems we've had I'm pretty sure John wouldn't want to forget things like this, that he would likely have little to no use for as well... Hmm - on the other hand - my Artic Silver was missing too, he thought he sent it though. We'll see...

Stolid

someone posted that if it's AC it doesn't matter. Well, if what you're plugging in is polarized, it will matter and it probably is polarized and/or grounded (that's those plugs with one big blade and one little blade.) How can you tell? You plug it in. If it works one way and not the other way, there's your answer. I doubt it would hurt it if you plugged it in backwards for a couple of secs or so. It just wouldn't do anything. Try it both ways and maybe you'll get your answer from that.

I think I said this before - I'm not about to start an electrical fire and I don't have a plug or any tubing to seal the join up with. Sorry, I'm a little too cautious about sticking bare wires in sockets.

Stolid

Stolid (Jun 28, 2001 01:25 p.m.):

Stolid
Connect the blue wire to the fatter prong on a regular polarized plug and the brown wire to the other one and just wrap it in electrical tape real good. You should be alright. Ultimately, you want to solder the wires together and use heat shrink tubing but black tape will work.

Shadow mentioned 'soldering' this onto the powersupply but gave no details. Any ideas?

Stolid

Stolid (Jun 30, 2001 01:33 p.m.):
Shadow mentioned 'soldering' this onto the powersupply but gave no details. Any ideas?

Stolid

You would need a relay. One connection on the relay goes to pump, one goes to the PSU, and one goes to the wall plug. In any case you'll need the other piece of the power cord or a cord with a wall plug.

There's an article here http://www.overclockers.com/tips242/ that explains how to wire it.

Back